Thai Social Security Benefits and Payments

UPDATE:

Went to the Sriracha SS Office yesterday. Found out the form and paperwork, SSO 2-01, I submitted back in January was never been entered into the system. This form, is required to start the process. It also entitles you to a 3,000 baht pension for the rest of your life, unless you chose to use the Thai Social Security medical system. At least that is what I understand through translation. 

Lady we talked to this time said no problem and entered the data. Afterward which she gave me a paper to sign acknowledging the inputted data. If you do not sign this form, you cannot be sure it has been entered. They will also give you another form in Thai # 1-20. Not sure of the name but it is for applying for Social Security Medical benefits. 

Instructed to return any day in June to submit the new form. Will then set up a payment direct from my bank to Social Security. The amount is around 500 baht monthly. The reason it is less than the 750 deducted while working is my age (earlier question). Therefore, no further retirement portion in the monthly amount.

Will update after June visit, with a final update.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

UPDATE:

Went to the Sriracha SS Office yesterday. Found out the form and paperwork, SSO 2-01, I submitted back in January was never been entered into the system. This form, is required to start the process. It also entitles you to a 3,000 baht pension for the rest of your life, unless you chose to use the Thai Social Security medical system. At least that is what I understand through translation. 

Lady we talked to this time said no problem and entered the data. Afterward which she gave me a paper to sign acknowledging the inputted data. If you do not sign this form, you cannot be sure it has been entered. They will also give you another form in Thai # 1-20. Not sure of the name but it is for applying for Social Security Medical benefits. 

Instructed to return any day in June to submit the new form. Will then set up a payment direct from my bank to Social Security. The amount is around 500 baht monthly. The reason it is less than the 750 deducted while working is my age (earlier question). Therefore, no further retirement portion in the monthly amount.

Will update after June visit, with a final update.

So basically you are writing off the pension part to take advantage of the medical benefits.  I will be doing the same when I retire.  A shame you can't get the lump sum back but continue paying for medical coverage. 

Now i am confused.

I went to the Silom SSO on Monday to inquire changing my nominated hospital .

I informed them that i am about to finish my employment contract at end of this month and will then be relocating  to Pattaya.

The SSO staff member informed me that a foreigner cannot continue to pay the monthly premium for medical cover if no longer working.

This seems contrary to everything i have read and what my HR told me .

I explained that to the SSO staffer, who was insistent that i am not entitled to medical cover without current employment . 

I have asked my HR dept to check...no answer as yet which is a bad sign.

Anyone?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Now i am confused.

I went to the Silom SSO on Monday to inquire changing my nominated hospital .

I informed them that i am about to finish my employment contract at end of this month and will then be relocating  to Pattaya.

The SSO staff member informed me that a foreigner cannot continue to pay the monthly premium for medical cover if no longer working.

This seems contrary to everything i have read and what my HR told me .

I explained that to the SSO staffer, who was insistent that i am not entitled to medical cover without current employment . 

I have asked my HR dept to check...no answer as yet which is a bad sign.

Anyone?

Sorry if I have added to the confusion. I am now a Thai citizen. Having said that, I have heard of other foreigners who have continued paying in after retirement to maintain their medical cover. 

To the Lovedone.

Whoever you talked to at your Social Security office is wrong. As long as you make the arrangements and pay the monthly amount you can be covered by Thai Social Security.

Once you move to Pattaya go to the office in Sriracha. See my earlier post on how to get the initial form to take with you and documents you will need.

Khun Ken

Edited by blackcab
Removed reference to a removed post

On 3/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, KhunKenAP said:

To the Lovedone.

Whoever you talked to at your Social Security office is wrong. As long as you make the arrangements and pay the monthly amount you can be covered by Thai Social Security.

Once you move to Pattaya go to the office in Sriracha. See my earlier post on how to get the initial form to take with you and documents you will need.

Khun Ken

Hey K Ken....yes Social Security at  Silom was very little help ......as usual questioning information provided by Thai staff in positions of "power" the general feedback is ........Thai way or the highway farang...... So after taking the highway back to my office and checking with my HR ,they do not seem to know what the situation is either. (TIT situation normal i guess)....the latest from HR was along the lines of .....oh yeah you can keep the benefit for "about" 6 months but then cannot pay after that by yourself to maintain it. And foreigner cannot claim the one off payment in lieu of any medical benefit.

All this seems in contradiction of the Social Security website info.

So ,through all this confusion at HR and Social Security  i have missed the deadline to change hospitals. I will try at Pattaya as you suggest.  

There was a posting at the SS office that you can change hospitals in January and February each year. However, I assume if you move during the year, you should be able to change to one in your area.

When do you retire? You have to wait until you are retired. You have 6 months to apply after that. You are covered by Thai Social Security during that 6 month period. Once you set up the monthly payments it will continue the rest of your life.

I will update the forum once I finish the paperwork and setting up the payment in June.

I am now getting a monthly Thai pension of 3,100. That will continue until I submit the paperwork for medical coverage in June. I apparently could have gotten this pension since I turned 65. However, no one in my HR department every mentioned that.

I love Thailand, except when you have to do anything with the government.

K. Ken

• Like 1

Hey K Ken....yes Social Security at  Silom was very little help ......as usual questioning information provided by Thai staff in positions of "power" the general feedback is ........Thai way or the highway farang...... So after taking the highway back to my office and checking with my HR ,they do not seem to know what the situation is either. (TIT situation normal i guess)....the latest from HR was along the lines of .....oh yeah you can keep the benefit for "about" 6 months but then cannot pay after that by yourself to maintain it. And foreigner cannot claim the one off payment in lieu of any medical benefit. All this seems in contradiction of the Social Security website info.

So ,through all this confusion at HR and Social Security  i have missed the deadline to change hospitals. I will try at Pattaya as you suggest.  

There is absolutely no difference in entitlements for farang and Thais under SS law. 

Make sure you start your payments within the 6 month window or you will be unable to do so. If necessary go to the SS head office for assistance. This is not the first time a TV member has gotten run around/wrong info from a branch SS office.

While foreigners can claim the one off payment it is definitely not a wise thing to do unless leaving Thailand permanently. It is different for Thais as they can do this and then have automatic medical cover under "30 baht" scheme. For a foreigner this is your sole means of inexpensive health cover (and, if you have significant pre-existing health conditions, perhaps your only means of health cover at any price).

Re changing hospitals if you move provinces I think you can do so even mid year.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, janejira said:

I needed a pink ID card to continue coverage with social security. Without the pink ID card, I was told it is not possible to cl

I pay 432 THB per month, automatically deducted from my bank account.

Thats what I was told also at Sri Ratcha SS office. I called the SS office in Bangkok they said it is not true. I went to the Rayong office and in and out with the in 15 mins Medical coverage put into effect for 432 baht a month taken from my Kbank account. Sri Ratcha SS is very unhelpful best to avoid. I did this when I was 62 it does not stop at 60. but if you get your WP after you turn 60 and start working you do not get the medical coverage while you are employed or after you retired. I had both hips replaced and paid nothing not a baht. That was 7 years ago still good as new. The care was top notch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is absolutely no difference in entitlements for farang and Thais under SS law. 

Make sure you start your payments within the 6 month window or you will be unable to do so. If necessary go to the SS head office for assistance. This is not the first time a TV member has gotten run around/wrong info from a branch SS office.

While foreigners can claim the one off payment it is definitely not a wise thing to do unless leaving Thailand permanently. It is different for Thais as they can do this and then have automatic medical cover under "30 baht" scheme. For a foreigner this is your sole means of inexpensive health cover (and, if you have significant pre-existing health conditions, perhaps your only means of health cover at any price).

Re changing hospitals if you move provinces I think you can do so even mid year.

If your place of residence and work does not change, you can only change the hospital at the beginning of the year. Must be done within 31 March.

However, if you are changing your place of residence, place of work, or have other valid reasons for changing, you can change the hospital at any time during the year. It will take about 2 weeks for your record to be updated.  As such, if thelovedone is moving to Pattaya, he would still be able to change hospitals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, thelovedone said:

Thanks Best B.

You mean Sriracha #4 or # 9 on the list?

4. รพ.สมเด็จพระบรมราชเทวี ณ ศรีราชา Queen Savang Vadhana Memorial Hospital (Sriracha)

This was where I had my hips replaced fantastic job done

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks very much Sheryl, K.Ken and GarryP . Seems the key for me is to find a SSF staff member who i up on the rules. When i relocate to Pattaya i will do the change of hospital and apply for the self made contribrutions. Anyone know what is the Pink Card referenced by Janejira?

The pink card is Thai ID card for foreigners. Similiar to ID card for Thai citizens but pink in color.

To get one you must have a yellow tabian ban.  So would have to wait until you move, when you do I suggest you make landlord's willingness to help you get tabian ban a condition of rental.  Aside from SS, yellow tabian ban/ pink ID card is used as proof of address for immigration, and pink card can be used as ID. The pibnk card is tied to your tabian ban so no need to show the tabian ban once you have the pink card and it is more convenient to carry.

Ampurs vary but to get the yellow tabian ban you usually need:

a translation of your passport

landlord/house owner's ID and blue tabian ban and they will ususally need to come along in person

some Ampurs may ask for more

Pink card is obtained in a flash once you have the tabian ban

Re SS, they recently shifted from use of cards to an electronic system and it contains a field for ID number. I believe there is a work around for foreigners - maybe entering passport number or something. It can be done but most functionaries do not know how to. They just see a form asking for an ID number and if you don't have ID they will say they can't do it (worse yet, some have told people not to worry, just show your passport at the hospital but without having registered them through the system in that hospital).

Get the pink card if you can. If you cannot, call the main SS office but it may be a bit of a hassle.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The pink card is Thai ID card for foreigners. Similiar to ID card for Thai citizens but pink in color.

To get one you must have a yellow tabian ban.  So would have to wait until you move, when you do I suggest you make landlord's willingness to help you get tabian ban a condition of rental.  Aside from SS, yellow tabian ban/ pink ID card is used as proof of address for immigration, and pink card can be used as ID. The pibnk card is tied to your tabiuan ban so no need for the tabian ban once yo uhave thep ink card and it is more convenient to carry.

Ampurs vary but to get the yellow tabian ban you usually need:

a translation of your passport

landlord/house owner's ID and blue tabian ban and they will ususally need to come along in person

some Ampurs may ask for more

Pink card is obtained in a flash once you have the tabian ban

Re SS, they recently shifted form use of cards to an electronic system and it contains a field for ID number. I believe there is a work around for foreigners - maybe entering passport number or something. It can be done but most functionaries do nto know how to. They just see a form asking for an ID number and if you don't have ID they will say they can't do it (worse yet, some have told people not to worry, just show your passport at the hospital but without having registered them through the system in that hospital).

get the pink card if you can. If you cannot, call the main SS office but it may be a bit of a hassle.

Thank so much Sheryl...very surprised at that info, Ive been here for 10 years and never heard of the Pink Card....anyway i will follow you advice when i relocate

The Thai Social Security Card is pink.

The other pink card is the foreigner version of a Thai ID card. You can get if you or your marriage-by-paper wife has a property Blue Book. You first need to get a Yellow book through your local Tabian office. Then you go to your local community office with your Yellow book that issues Thai ID's.

The local Tabian offices are kind of like the Thai immigration office and all have their own interpretations of the requirements. At mine the lady insisted I needed a 90-day report receipt in my passport. At the time, I was working and travelled outside of Thailand every 2 weeks. Tried to explain that to her, but to no avail. So I went to the Thai Immigration in Jomtien and they thought I was crazy. Took a while to convince them, but finally got one. The old saying TiT was in order.

Love Thailand, except anytime you have to get involved with any form of the government.

K. Ken

Edited by KhunKenAP
spelling

• 2 months later...

Final update.

I got a letter from the Thai Social Security office informing me that I will be covered by the Thai Social Security medical program commencing June 15, 2019, which is the day my current coverage under my former employer expires. They take 432 baht out of my savings account monthly, that I registered during the application process. 

They also gave me a new Thai Social Security number which is the same as on my pink Thai ID card. That maybe their work around that Sheryl referred to in her post above.

So any of you that worked and paid into the system get an answer from your local Social Security office that you are not entitled, ask to see the Supervisor of the office. If still get a no answer, contact the main office in Bangkok. Not sure how long you need to have been paying into the system to qualify, but I worked from August 2010 to December 2018. Just apply once you leave employment within the 6-month period.

Edited by KhunKenAP

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2019 at 10:42 AM, GarryP said:

I was with Kluaynam Thai, but this year changed to Huachiew. I wanted to get in at Chula, the Police Hospital or Ramathibodi but they are all full and even when people move out, they are not accepting replacements.  I will try moving again next year and so on until I retire.

GarryP thank you for posting the list of hospitals in Bangkok.

Does this list come from the SSO, do they publish it online (in Thai)?

And just on the off chance that you can comment about a hospital to choose. I am about to register for voluntary contributions after my employment was terminated. As it happens #2 'Kluaynamthai' is the one nearest to my home, otherwise perhaps #23 'Petcharavej' or #24 'Dr. Panya General'. I have not heard anything of either. Why did you move away from #2? Any other comment or recommendation for a choice possible at all?

On 2/24/2019 at 1:25 PM, orientalist said:

Normally you choose a hospital in your area, but the big government hospitals all have a full quota so you are left with small private hospitals. Kluay Nam Thai is not a good hospital!

orientalist, 'Kluay Nam Thai' happens to be reasonably near to my home. I am about to register for voluntary contributions and will have to choose a hospital. Distance would be an important factor for me, but seeing your comment i thought i'd better check.

Any specific reason why you stated this, e.g. are they not equipped for specific conditions etc?

P.S. Feel free to send as DM if you prefer not to post on here.

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, fcbkk said:

GarryP thank you for posting the list of hospitals in Bangkok.

Does this list come from the SSO, do they publish it online (in Thai)?

And just on the off chance that you can comment about a hospital to choose. I am about to register for voluntary contributions after my employment was terminated. As it happens #2 'Kluaynamthai' is the one nearest to my home, otherwise perhaps #23 'Petcharavej' or #24 'Dr. Panya General'. I have not heard anything of either. Why did you move away from #2? Any other comment or recommendation for a choice possible at all?

You can get the list from the sso.go.th website, but you will need to login. Not sure if that is possible if you are not Thai. Not sure if this link will work for you. https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/assets/upload/files_storage/sso_th/618a0f1ce5e2d9db10ab2b40d853a312.pdf

I do not rate Kluaynamthai very highly for SSO. Most of the big government hospitals would be better, but the best are already full. I wanted to get in to Chula or Rama, but there was just no way.  

29 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You can get the list from the sso.go.th website, but you will need to login. Not sure if that is possible if you are not Thai. Not sure if this link will work for you. https://www.sso.go.th/wpr/assets/upload/files_storage/sso_th/618a0f1ce5e2d9db10ab2b40d853a312.pdf

I do not rate Kluaynamthai very highly for SSO. Most of the big government hospitals would be better, but the best are already full. I wanted to get in to Chula or Rama, but there was just no way.  

Thank you.

I do not have a login for the SSO site. The link successfully produced a pdf, it will just take me some time to practice and speed up my Thai reading ability.

As for a hospital to choose, well, i will face the same dilemma that i will not be able to choose Chula or the Police hospital, as they are full. I have no info of any other hospital at present, so in the absence of any more concrete info perhaps it is best to choose 'Kluaynamthai' as the one nearest my home.

Once again thanks for all info provided! cheers

Edited by fcbkk

1 minute ago, fcbkk said:

Thank you.

I do not have a login for the SSO site. The link successfully produced a pdf, it will just take me some time to practice and speed up my Thai reading ability.

As for a hospital to choose, well, i will face the same dilemma that i will not be able to choose Chula or the Police hospital, as they are full. I have no info of any other hospital at present, so in the absence of any more concrete info perhaps it is best to choose 'Kluaynamthai' as the one nearest my home.

Once again thanks for all info provided! cheers

You could choose Kluaynamthai to start with and take your time with research. You can then change in January to a new hospital.

I changed to Huachiew in Jan 2019, but in Jan 2020 I might change to Lertsin. 

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

You could choose Kluaynamthai to start with and take your time with research. You can then change in January to a new hospital.

I changed to Huachiew in Jan 2019, but in Jan 2020 I might change to Lertsin. 

Yes exactly, i have no current known needs, hence local cover nearby seems to matter more than perhaps better specialist care further away. 

As for choosing Huachiew then Lertsin what drives your choices?

Any info about the Mission Hospital? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, fcbkk said:

Yes exactly, i have no current known needs, hence local cover nearby seems to matter more than perhaps better specialist care further away. 

As for choosing Huachiew then Lertsin what drives your choices?

Any info about the Mission Hospital? 

Thanks 

I was in a rush and Lertsin was only suggested after I already signed up with Huachiew. However, I have heard that Huachiew is okay. Never tried either of them actually.

No information on the Mission. 

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

I was in a rush and Lertsin was only suggested after I already signed up with Huachiew. However, I have heard that Huachiew is okay. Never tried either of them actually.

No information on the Mission. 

Thanks for all the responses and info GarryP. Best of luck for the choice of hospitals.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:10 PM, pogal said:

I agree that KluayNumThai is not a good hospital! Search around for a better one.

pogal i just saw that you commented on this specific hospital also. As it is the nearest to where i live i wonder if i should select this, as there seems no alternative in the area? Any specific reason why you advise against it? Any suggestion for better alternative nearby? Feel free to send any info via DM if you prefer. Many thanks.