BANGKOK
thelovedone

Thai Social Security Benefits and Payments

UPDATE:

Went to the Sriracha SS Office yesterday. Found out the form and paperwork, SSO 2-01, I submitted back in January was never been entered into the system. This form, is required to start the process. It also entitles you to a 3,000 baht pension for the rest of your life, unless you chose to use the Thai Social Security medical system. At least that is what I understand through translation. 

Lady we talked to this time said no problem and entered the data. Afterward which she gave me a paper to sign acknowledging the inputted data. If you do not sign this form, you cannot be sure it has been entered. They will also give you another form in Thai # 1-20. Not sure of the name but it is for applying for Social Security Medical benefits. 

Instructed to return any day in June to submit the new form. Will then set up a payment direct from my bank to Social Security. The amount is around 500 baht monthly. The reason it is less than the 750 deducted while working is my age (earlier question). Therefore, no further retirement portion in the monthly amount.

Will update after June visit, with a final update.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

UPDATE:

Went to the Sriracha SS Office yesterday. Found out the form and paperwork, SSO 2-01, I submitted back in January was never been entered into the system. This form, is required to start the process. It also entitles you to a 3,000 baht pension for the rest of your life, unless you chose to use the Thai Social Security medical system. At least that is what I understand through translation. 

Lady we talked to this time said no problem and entered the data. Afterward which she gave me a paper to sign acknowledging the inputted data. If you do not sign this form, you cannot be sure it has been entered. They will also give you another form in Thai # 1-20. Not sure of the name but it is for applying for Social Security Medical benefits. 

Instructed to return any day in June to submit the new form. Will then set up a payment direct from my bank to Social Security. The amount is around 500 baht monthly. The reason it is less than the 750 deducted while working is my age (earlier question). Therefore, no further retirement portion in the monthly amount.

Will update after June visit, with a final update.

So basically you are writing off the pension part to take advantage of the medical benefits.  I will be doing the same when I retire.  A shame you can't get the lump sum back but continue paying for medical coverage. 

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

The amount is around 500 baht monthly. The reason it is less than the 750 deducted while working is my age...

The amount is not based on age.  Everyone pays the same amount.

Now i am confused.

I went to the Silom SSO on Monday to inquire changing my nominated hospital .

I informed them that i am about to finish my employment contract at end of this month and will then be relocating  to Pattaya.

The SSO staff member informed me that a foreigner cannot continue to pay the monthly premium for medical cover if no longer working.

This seems contrary to everything i have read and what my HR told me .

I explained that to the SSO staffer, who was insistent that i am not entitled to medical cover without current employment . 

I have asked my HR dept to check...no answer as yet which is a bad sign.

Anyone?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, thelovedone said:

Now i am confused.

I went to the Silom SSO on Monday to inquire changing my nominated hospital .

I informed them that i am about to finish my employment contract at end of this month and will then be relocating  to Pattaya.

The SSO staff member informed me that a foreigner cannot continue to pay the monthly premium for medical cover if no longer working.

This seems contrary to everything i have read and what my HR told me .

I explained that to the SSO staffer, who was insistent that i am not entitled to medical cover without current employment . 

I have asked my HR dept to check...no answer as yet which is a bad sign.

Anyone?

Sorry if I have added to the confusion. I am now a Thai citizen. Having said that, I have heard of other foreigners who have continued paying in after retirement to maintain their medical cover. 

To the Lovedone.

Whoever you talked to at your Social Security office is wrong. As long as you make the arrangements and pay the monthly amount you can be covered by Thai Social Security.

Once you move to Pattaya go to the office in Sriracha. See my earlier post on how to get the initial form to take with you and documents you will need.

Khun Ken

Edited by blackcab
Removed reference to a removed post

On 3/28/2019 at 1:50 PM, KhunKenAP said:

To the Lovedone.

Whoever you talked to at your Social Security office is wrong. As long as you make the arrangements and pay the monthly amount you can be covered by Thai Social Security.

Once you move to Pattaya go to the office in Sriracha. See my earlier post on how to get the initial form to take with you and documents you will need.

Khun Ken

Hey K Ken....yes Social Security at  Silom was very little help ......as usual questioning information provided by Thai staff in positions of "power" the general feedback is ........Thai way or the highway farang...... So after taking the highway back to my office and checking with my HR ,they do not seem to know what the situation is either. (TIT situation normal i guess)....the latest from HR was along the lines of .....oh yeah you can keep the benefit for "about" 6 months but then cannot pay after that by yourself to maintain it. And foreigner cannot claim the one off payment in lieu of any medical benefit.

All this seems in contradiction of the Social Security website info.

So ,through all this confusion at HR and Social Security  i have missed the deadline to change hospitals. I will try at Pattaya as you suggest.  

There was a posting at the SS office that you can change hospitals in January and February each year. However, I assume if you move during the year, you should be able to change to one in your area.

When do you retire? You have to wait until you are retired. You have 6 months to apply after that. You are covered by Thai Social Security during that 6 month period. Once you set up the monthly payments it will continue the rest of your life.

I will update the forum once I finish the paperwork and setting up the payment in June.

I am now getting a monthly Thai pension of 3,100. That will continue until I submit the paperwork for medical coverage in June. I apparently could have gotten this pension since I turned 65. However, no one in my HR department every mentioned that.

I love Thailand, except when you have to do anything with the government.

K. Ken

• Like 1

Hey K Ken....yes Social Security at  Silom was very little help ......as usual questioning information provided by Thai staff in positions of "power" the general feedback is ........Thai way or the highway farang...... So after taking the highway back to my office and checking with my HR ,they do not seem to know what the situation is either. (TIT situation normal i guess)....the latest from HR was along the lines of .....oh yeah you can keep the benefit for "about" 6 months but then cannot pay after that by yourself to maintain it. And foreigner cannot claim the one off payment in lieu of any medical benefit. All this seems in contradiction of the Social Security website info.

So ,through all this confusion at HR and Social Security  i have missed the deadline to change hospitals. I will try at Pattaya as you suggest.  

There is absolutely no difference in entitlements for farang and Thais under SS law. 

Make sure you start your payments within the 6 month window or you will be unable to do so. If necessary go to the SS head office for assistance. This is not the first time a TV member has gotten run around/wrong info from a branch SS office.

While foreigners can claim the one off payment it is definitely not a wise thing to do unless leaving Thailand permanently. It is different for Thais as they can do this and then have automatic medical cover under "30 baht" scheme. For a foreigner this is your sole means of inexpensive health cover (and, if you have significant pre-existing health conditions, perhaps your only means of health cover at any price).

Re changing hospitals if you move provinces I think you can do so even mid year.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

On 2/24/2019 at 4:22 PM, janejira said:

I needed a pink ID card to continue coverage with social security. Without the pink ID card, I was told it is not possible to cl

I pay 432 THB per month, automatically deducted from my bank account.

Thats what I was told also at Sri Ratcha SS office. I called the SS office in Bangkok they said it is not true. I went to the Rayong office and in and out with the in 15 mins Medical coverage put into effect for 432 baht a month taken from my Kbank account. Sri Ratcha SS is very unhelpful best to avoid. I did this when I was 62 it does not stop at 60. but if you get your WP after you turn 60 and start working you do not get the medical coverage while you are employed or after you retired. I had both hips replaced and paid nothing not a baht. That was 7 years ago still good as new. The care was top notch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is absolutely no difference in entitlements for farang and Thais under SS law. 

Make sure you start your payments within the 6 month window or you will be unable to do so. If necessary go to the SS head office for assistance. This is not the first time a TV member has gotten run around/wrong info from a branch SS office.

While foreigners can claim the one off payment it is definitely not a wise thing to do unless leaving Thailand permanently. It is different for Thais as they can do this and then have automatic medical cover under "30 baht" scheme. For a foreigner this is your sole means of inexpensive health cover (and, if you have significant pre-existing health conditions, perhaps your only means of health cover at any price).

Re changing hospitals if you move provinces I think you can do so even mid year.

If your place of residence and work does not change, you can only change the hospital at the beginning of the year. Must be done within 31 March.

However, if you are changing your place of residence, place of work, or have other valid reasons for changing, you can change the hospital at any time during the year. It will take about 2 weeks for your record to be updated.  As such, if thelovedone is moving to Pattaya, he would still be able to change hospitals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, thelovedone said:

Thanks Best B.

You mean Sriracha #4 or # 9 on the list?

4. รพ.สมเด็จพระบรมราชเทวี ณ ศรีราชา Queen Savang Vadhana Memorial Hospital (Sriracha)

This was where I had my hips replaced fantastic job done

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks very much Sheryl, K.Ken and GarryP . Seems the key for me is to find a SSF staff member who i up on the rules. When i relocate to Pattaya i will do the change of hospital and apply for the self made contribrutions. Anyone know what is the Pink Card referenced by Janejira?

I have attached the form you will need to make the change of hospital. It may save you some time trying to find it elsewhere.

Click below to download:

BlankSSO 9-02.pdf