Australia confirms Wikileaks' Assange has valid passport

rooster59

Australia confirms Wikileaks' Assange has valid passport

By Alison Bevege

800x800 (1).jpg

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is seen on the balcony of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, Britain, May 19, 2017. REUTERS/Neil Hall/Files

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia has confirmed that Julian Assange has a valid passport, a key development for the Wikileaks founder, who fears that Ecuador seeks to end his asylum in its London embassy and extradite him to the United States.

The new passport, which would allow Assange, who is in failing health, to return to Australia, was issued in September last year but remained unreported until Saturday. His previous passport had expired.

Senior officials of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) on Thursday told a Senate estimates hearing that Assange had a valid passport, reiterating a statement from last October.

Senator Rex Patrick of minority party Centre Alliance, who has taken up Assange's cause in parliament, asked department officials if they had talked to the United States about safe passage for Assange if he left the embassy.

James Larsen, the department's chief legal officer, said he was not aware of any U.S. proceedings against Assange and so there was nothing to discuss.

"I don’t have a record before me of what our engagement with the United States is specifically concerning Mr Assange," he said.

"We are not aware, on the Australian government’s side, of any legal proceedings initiated within, or by, the United States, concerning Mr Assange."

U.S. officials have acknowledged that federal prosecutors launched a lengthy criminal investigation into Assange and Wikileaks, which published U.S. diplomatic and military secrets under him.

Assange's supporters remain convinced the United States will seek his extradition if he tries to leave the embassy.

"Day 2998 of the unlawful and arbitrary detention of Julian Assange in the United Kingdom," the Defend Assange Campaign said in a message on social network Twitter on Thursday.

"U.S. government continues to seek his arrest and extradition for publishing the truth about the war in Iraq. He has been nominated for the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize."

Assange first took asylum in the embassy in 2012, but his relationship with Ecuador has grown increasingly tense.

In December he was administered a series of medical tests, in line with new rules for his asylum at the embassy that prompted him to sue the government.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-02-23

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"Day 2998 of the unlawful and arbitrary detention of Julian Assange in the United Kingdom," the Defend Assange Campaign said in a message on social network Twitter on Thursday.

He's not detained anywhere, especially not the UK. He's on Ecuadorian soil in theory, being part of their embassy.

52 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Assange, who is in failing health

Above is always a great line for these "older men" to use when they face legal problems.

I'll have to remember that line if ever needed.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Assange first took asylum in the embassy in 2012, but his relationship with Ecuador has grown increasingly tense.

In December he was administered a series of medical tests, in line with new rules for his asylum at the embassy that prompted him to sue the government

He does know how to outstay his welcome does Jules boy .. I'll wager the staff of the Embassy'll be glad to see the back of him .. Odious little toad should front up , vacate the place and go speak with the authorities .. 

42 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the story goes on and on, all that money around 10 million, at the tax payers expense to keep a police guard which ended in Oct 2015, why doesn't he just slip out the back.

here is a idea. How about have someone his build with a hat and glasses walk in and have JA walk out in the same cloths. Are cops really standing at all exits 24/7?  what a waste of tax payers money !

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Assange has a valid passport and black cabs are available for hire between the Ecuadorian embassy and LHR.

These are facts.

But they are of no use to anyone who decides of his own free will to hide in the basement.

Isn't America looking to arrest him on site?

After the rigmarole I had to go through to get a new passport, in Australia, I am curious as to just how he managed to get one inside the Ecuadorian embassy. Did embassy staff go visit him to verify his identity and witness his signature ?

48 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

If a very convincing Assange look alike/ impersonator walks in to the embassy....who walks out?? I'm just thinking aloud here folks....

Yes, because I'm sure there are just dozens of very convincing look alike/impersonators who look like Assange who want to help an alleged rapist escape what's coming to him. 

7 minutes ago, stud858 said:

An Australian refugee insisted a return to Australia. No probs. I'm sure if he walks out into the real world he'll return to oz.

No need to be afraid Julian. 

He has every reason to be afraid. He is still on Interpol watchlist for alleged rape in Sweden.

It takes Australia ages to act on any citizen in trouble overseas.

The yanks still want him for exposing dirty little secrets they did not want released.

He is in big trouble still. Equador wants him gone. His use to them is no longer valid. He now only costs them money.

The whole saga has cost US face and Britain millions. 

I would have thought that special branch would "rescue him", put him on a plane to Australia under an assumed name.

And let him fade into insignificance

20 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I would have thought that special branch would "rescue him", put him on a plane to Australia under an assumed name.

Australia are part of the five eyes network, so I'd assume that they've little motivation to smuggle him back home. 

2 minutes ago, SammyT said:

Australia are part of the five eyes network, so I'd assume that they've little motivation to smuggle him back home. 

Australia are part of the boggle eyes network.

They tipped off Indonesia on two occasions to have drug mules placed in jails for 20 years and have 2 killed by Indon authorities.

They tipped off Thailand to illegally detain a refugee sportsman wanted on trumped up charges in Bahrain.

They dithered over a Saudi lass escaping her family oppressors and detained by Thailand until finally Canada took her.

No, I don't expect anything from Australia and its embassies.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek. But the whole thing is about US wanting revenge because he released some dirty little secrets.

But he chose to do it. I guess he really is some sort of hero. But who cares anymore except the long arm of US revenge

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Senator Rex Patrick of minority party Centre Alliance, who has taken up Assange's cause in parliament, asked department officials if they had talked to the United States about safe passage for Assange if he left the embassy.

It is not American policy to shoot down civilian aircraft...

Particularly after the Iran flight 655 incident. :whistling:

4 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Then they could always pass that off to Russia.

Put him on a Malaysia Airlines flight and "whoosh"

No way, Russia owes him big time.

But there again obliterate the can of beans before it spills... 

3 hours ago, MikeN said:

After the rigmarole I had to go through to get a new passport, in Australia, I am curious as to just how he managed to get one inside the Ecuadorian embassy. Did embassy staff go visit him to verify his identity and witness his signature ?

What rigmarole. Just go to your local Post Office and the new passport comes back within a week.

Archived