BANGKOK 22 March 2019 16:53
geisha

Looking for a cooler clean climate.

Hi, I’ve found the weather here a bit exhausting this year, what with the heat and the pollution. I stayed through my winter months for 20yrs +  in Phuket , the rain and the heat drove me out ( and the prices) and I landed in Hua Hin for two years. The weather was cooler than Phuket but I wasn’t too keen on the place, maybe it’s better now? (2010).So im thinking about going elsewhere where the weather is milder and no smog/haze. Actually in Jomtien /Pattaya,, Im not fixed , but I don’t want to be out in the sticks, somewhere where there’s shopping, restaurants and nice condos with pools. Even other Asian countries. I’m single, 65 yr female.Ive been to almost everywhere, i stayed lately in Ngapali beach Myanmar, where the weather was a dream. Gorgeous dry sunny days, cool evenings  and  

mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk. Of course, there’s nothing there , except a beach and a few hotels, but it made me wish for a similar climate. Any ideas welcome, and no, I’m not living in cloud cuckoo land .

14 minutes ago, geisha said:

but I don’t want to be out in the sticks, somewhere where there’s shopping,

If you want to stay Thailand Phetchabun is a nice place in the northwest is characterized by forested mountains, streams and a cooler climate but not for you I guess.

• Like 2

I live between Rayong and Ban Chang, about 60km east of Pattaya.  It is noticeably cooler than many other parts of Thailand, and quite dry (ish), close to the coast with nice beaches locally. Rayong City has nice condos on offer I believe and its a reasonable place to live, but not many expats, if that is your wish.  A big plus for me is that U Tapao Airport is expanding its services and is only 20km from my house. 

• Like 1

I would certainly assess the pollution before moving anywhere.  I don't know why you jut didn't move over to Krabi?  Pattaya is no cooler than Phuket and the pollution is very bad.  Use the heat index when you calculate the heat effect it is of great importance.  Phuket gets more rain, more cloud and more wind which contribute to cooler temps as well as greater foliage.

However if you remain unconvinced I would certainly consider Vietnam you can adjust your temp by simply moving up or down the coast or up or down the mountains:)

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

How’s Hua Hin these days ? I can’t remember, but I think it was cooler than Pattaya, also , no pollution ? I know the traffic is horrendous. It was 10 yrs back. Looks like they’ve built a lot of condos. I don’t go to the beach,which is awful’there,, I swim in the pool.

i think you should look for a place with permanent residency,

costa rica if your from USA, or south europe if youre from europe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geisha said:

How’s Hua Hin these days ? I can’t remember, but I think it was cooler than Pattaya, also , no pollution ? I know the traffic is horrendous. It was 10 yrs back. Looks like they’ve built a lot of condos. I don’t go to the beach,which is awful’there,, I swim in the pool.

In H-H, there are a few weekends when traffic is bad with all the BKK crowd coming to town - other than that, traffic is always a breeze if you discount the mosquitos......ah..em...aka abundance of suicidal motorcycle riders. I agree on the beach, chiefly due to the year round jelly fish presence, albeit the population varies, they are a menace year round. [] 'dry sunny days, cool evenings and mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk' - there are a few days resembling that in H-H actually, just not in recent years...........lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

In H-H, there are a few weekends when traffic is bad with all the BKK crowd coming to town - other than that, traffic is always a breeze if you discount the mosquitos......ah..em...aka abundance of suicidal motorcycle riders. I agree on the beach, chiefly due to the year round jelly fish presence, albeit the population varies, they are a menace year round. [] 'dry sunny days, cool evenings and mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk' - there are a few days resembling that in H-H actually, just not in recent years...........lol

I spent an april in hua hin working on a film and it ws the hottest time i have had in many years on thailand.  As per hte maniac driers they are all over thailand but at least in krabi area you have a lot of emptier roads minimizing risk.  There is no enforcement here and it is becoming increasingly hazardous.  Although there are many bikes in vietnam the attitude is much more responsible and enforcement is there.