Looking for a cooler clean climate.

geisha

Hi, I’ve found the weather here a bit exhausting this year, what with the heat and the pollution. I stayed through my winter months for 20yrs +  in Phuket , the rain and the heat drove me out ( and the prices) and I landed in Hua Hin for two years. The weather was cooler than Phuket but I wasn’t too keen on the place, maybe it’s better now? (2010).So im thinking about going elsewhere where the weather is milder and no smog/haze. Actually in Jomtien /Pattaya,, Im not fixed , but I don’t want to be out in the sticks, somewhere where there’s shopping, restaurants and nice condos with pools. Even other Asian countries. I’m single, 65 yr female.Ive been to almost everywhere, i stayed lately in Ngapali beach Myanmar, where the weather was a dream. Gorgeous dry sunny days, cool evenings  and  

mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk. Of course, there’s nothing there , except a beach and a few hotels, but it made me wish for a similar climate. Any ideas welcome, and no, I’m not living in cloud cuckoo land .

14 minutes ago, geisha said:

but I don’t want to be out in the sticks, somewhere where there’s shopping,

If you want to stay Thailand Phetchabun is a nice place in the northwest is characterized by forested mountains, streams and a cooler climate but not for you I guess.

• Like 2

I live between Rayong and Ban Chang, about 60km east of Pattaya.  It is noticeably cooler than many other parts of Thailand, and quite dry (ish), close to the coast with nice beaches locally. Rayong City has nice condos on offer I believe and its a reasonable place to live, but not many expats, if that is your wish.  A big plus for me is that U Tapao Airport is expanding its services and is only 20km from my house. 

• Like 1

I would certainly assess the pollution before moving anywhere.  I don't know why you jut didn't move over to Krabi?  Pattaya is no cooler than Phuket and the pollution is very bad.  Use the heat index when you calculate the heat effect it is of great importance.  Phuket gets more rain, more cloud and more wind which contribute to cooler temps as well as greater foliage.

However if you remain unconvinced I would certainly consider Vietnam you can adjust your temp by simply moving up or down the coast or up or down the mountains:)

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1

How’s Hua Hin these days ? I can’t remember, but I think it was cooler than Pattaya, also , no pollution ? I know the traffic is horrendous. It was 10 yrs back. Looks like they’ve built a lot of condos. I don’t go to the beach,which is awful’there,, I swim in the pool.

2 hours ago, geisha said:

How’s Hua Hin these days ? I can’t remember, but I think it was cooler than Pattaya, also , no pollution ? I know the traffic is horrendous. It was 10 yrs back. Looks like they’ve built a lot of condos. I don’t go to the beach,which is awful’there,, I swim in the pool.

In H-H, there are a few weekends when traffic is bad with all the BKK crowd coming to town - other than that, traffic is always a breeze if you discount the mosquitos......ah..em...aka abundance of suicidal motorcycle riders. I agree on the beach, chiefly due to the year round jelly fish presence, albeit the population varies, they are a menace year round. [] 'dry sunny days, cool evenings and mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk' - there are a few days resembling that in H-H actually, just not in recent years...........lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

In H-H, there are a few weekends when traffic is bad with all the BKK crowd coming to town - other than that, traffic is always a breeze if you discount the mosquitos......ah..em...aka abundance of suicidal motorcycle riders. I agree on the beach, chiefly due to the year round jelly fish presence, albeit the population varies, they are a menace year round. [] 'dry sunny days, cool evenings and mornings, bordering  on cold, a pleasure to sleep, eat and have a walk' - there are a few days resembling that in H-H actually, just not in recent years...........lol

I spent an april in hua hin working on a film and it ws the hottest time i have had in many years on thailand.  As per hte maniac driers they are all over thailand but at least in krabi area you have a lot of emptier roads minimizing risk.  There is no enforcement here and it is becoming increasingly hazardous.  Although there are many bikes in vietnam the attitude is much more responsible and enforcement is there.

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Cooler climate, not in my 12 years , atleast not in my area, its usually hotter than other areas, and very dry. Havnt seen rain since early December !

He's only talking about Nam Nao. It usually does have slightly cooler temps due to the altitude.

12 hours ago, indepth said:

When my retire visa expires, gunna try Queensland, Noosa. Rent same as what Im paying here, and no visa crap, im an Ozzie, no 90 report, no reentry permits, not too bloody hot all year round, dont have to worry about being stitched up by crooked cops, no more $3500 PA travel ins. if I get told I need a bypass, I will know its true. If I get ripped off by some business, I can name and shame them. Quicker , and cheaper , to visit my family in another state, can feel a hell of a lot safer on the roads and if in an accident, it wont automatically be my fault. Why not go now you may ask, 60K security bond paid. 

After 12 years Ive been having the same fantasy.  You forgot to mention the government give you rent assistance about 30% of the rent value, real beaches ..no plastic bags littering the shore line and no big fat rats. warm days and cool nights

To the OP both nZ and oz are a part of the Asia pacific region and you did say or elsewhere in Asia

• Like 1

15 hours ago, indepth said:

When my retire visa expires, gunna try Queensland, Noosa. Rent same as what Im paying here, and no visa crap, im an Ozzie, no 90 report, no reentry permits, not too bloody hot all year round, dont have to worry about being stitched up by crooked cops, no more $3500 PA travel ins. if I get told I need a bypass, I will know its true. If I get ripped off by some business, I can name and shame them. Quicker , and cheaper , to visit my family in another state, can feel a hell of a lot safer on the roads and if in an accident, it wont automatically be my fault. Why not go now you may ask, 60K security bond paid. 

Noosa and the Sunshine Coast are lovely places. There's a reason why they call Australia 'God's country'.

Add to your list: Medicare, clean air, lots of wide open spaces, casual work opportunities for retirees, perfect steaks, fantastic night skies, English spoken everywhere ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, indepth said:

I live in the Noosa area, great place with perfect beaches, clean warm seas - very good choice!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, madmen said:

After 12 years Ive been having the same fantasy.  You forgot to mention the government give you rent assistance about 30% of the rent value, real beaches ..no plastic bags littering the shore line and no big fat rats. warm days and cool nights

To the OP both nZ and oz are a part of the Asia pacific region and you did say or elsewhere in Asia

Rat relaxing on Beach Postcard

How about Canary Islands? Temperature ranging from 20-25°C year round. Can be quite cool in the winter but never really cold. The two main islands have real cities in the north and busy tourist strips on the south coasts. Lots of English-speaking expats and visitors.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, madmen said:

" the government give you rent assistance about 30% of the rent", as Normy Rowe sang, it aint necessarily so. Depends how much the rent is and how much income you have. On $400 rent and $40000 PA, get back about $30. ( or was it 60 , forget now)

1 minute ago, indepth said:

" the government give you rent assistance about 30% of the rent", as Normy Rowe sang, it aint necessarily so. Depends how much the rent is and how much income you have. On $400 rent and $40000 PA, get back about $30. ( or was it 60 , forget now)

Rent assistance only for pensioners. 40k pa = 0 assistance

Hi Geisha.

No advice to offer today but I wonder if you care to share more info about this beach in Myanmar?

This country was not even on my bucket list of places to go to. But cool beach, remote appeals to me - I don't care much for shopping and hanging with ex-patriots.