Looking for a cooler clean climate.

geisha

One important comment from someone about going home is the availability of part time work if one wants the extra dough or just something to occupy their mind and time. That can extent your life . Fact. Go to Noosa and live longer, yeah. Maby a home visit massage service, we all know how to do it, for old grannies, or  young ones.  " Undepth Home Thai Massage Service, $50 for one hour , paid in advance".

Edited by indepth
add

On 2/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, Pilotman said:

A big plus for me is that U Tapao Airport is expanding its services and is only 20km from my house. 

I flew into U Tapao for the first ... and last ..time recently from Samui . Expensive flight . But the point I'm making is no taxi... only limo .. 1000 baht to Pattaya city.. no negotiation even my Thai lady failed. And now the bus has been cancelled ... so if that is services expanding .. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, murraynz said:

yes, but nz is very expensive, people stressed from too much work, too many problems with immigrants..

too cold in the winter...

im 4th generation kiwi-lived there 66yrs...still own properties and have all my family there.

thailand suits me just fine, for now..

Murraynz.......this is info for other folks, not for a Kiwi!!!!!!

Agree NZ can be expensive in the main cities, but out and about, the prices are very reasonable I have found. In fact there was an article in today's New Zealand Herald about a couple who left Auckland after they were sick of paying rent of $450 per week on a "stinker" of a two-bedroom flat in Auckland, and moved to buying a four bedroom villa down south and paying a mortgage of $150 a week!

Granted it can get cold in the winter and if that southerly blows, it can be a biting cold, however the summers are/can be glorious.

Again, people do get stressed, but usually in the high-pressure jobs, which was the case with me, however it's as much about the individual and how they handle it (IMO) as it is the job.

And it's great to go into some of the supermarkets in the outer regions to find lovely fruit and veges and bottles of good wine from NZ and Australia for around $10-$12.

Could I live there again...........quite possibly if I moved away from the hustle and bustle, however I have to say that I don't think NZ in general is a good place for old retirees like me, and I do enjoy the vibrancy here, along with my Thai massages.

Edited by xylophone

2 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

I flew into U Tapao for the first ... and last ..time recently from Samui . Expensive flight . But the point I'm making is no taxi... only limo .. 1000 baht to Pattaya city.. no negotiation even my Thai lady failed. And now the bus has been cancelled ... so if that is services expanding .. 

As you notice, you can't hold U-Tapao responsible for the extortion prices of Bangkok Airways.

I flew to U-Tapao twice with AirAsia. Cheap flight, minibus to Pattaya 250 Baht.

And as far as I know the minibus can also be used independently (as seats available)?

The driver was not of the wild racing type (for a change). Never felt unsafe.

I am much tempted to fly from Khon Kaen to U-Tapao next month.

Avoiding the crowds/crowded buses at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 6:58 AM, simple1 said:

I live in the Noosa area, great place with perfect beaches, clean warm seas - very good choice!

Seriously? Australian beaches are renowned for dangerous creatures: sharks, jellyfish, and spiders that can kill you, so I've heard.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:39 PM, billp said:

How about Canary Islands? Temperature ranging from 20-25°C year round. Can be quite cool in the winter but never really cold. The two main islands have real cities in the north and busy tourist strips on the south coasts. Lots of English-speaking expats and visitors.

The Canaries are wonderful, cheap, cleanish air... but lots of people...

Nice place for sure and knowing Spanish helps

16 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Southern California is both cool & clean.  

Clean? I'm from there. I watch air quality indexes and pollution spill news. Are you implying that the ocean or the air isn't polluted?

Another wee problem with SoCal is it'll cost you a year's living in Thailand to stay there for one month.

And literally millions and millions of people to share it with, some of whom are quite dangerous. 

Not to mention the beaches close at 10pm and it's rigorously enforced...

59 minutes ago, indepth said:

Complete and utter rubbish, never seen a spider on an Oz beach. 

And so you are denying deadly spiders exist in Australia?

More to the point, which you ignored, the waters are dangerous?

Warm waters are irrelevant if you can't get in them...

https://inhabitat.com/dangerous-jellyfish-have-invaded-australias-gold-and-sunshine-coasts/

Rubbish indeed.

1 hour ago, indepth said:

Complete and utter rubbish, never seen a spider on an Oz beach. 

“In Queensland alone, we put more people in hospital due to Irukandji stings than shark attacks, crocodile attacks and snake bites combined,” said Jamie Seymore, a professor at James Cook University."

But at least the water is warm ????

4 hours ago, Poopyface said:

“In Queensland alone, we put more people in hospital due to Irukandji stings than shark attacks, crocodile attacks and snake bites combined,” said Jamie Seymore, a professor at James Cook University."

But at least the water is warm ????

You're probably being a wind up. Irukandji are seasonal and not located onshore in Noosa. Other jellyfish from time to time, never heard of anyone in the Noosa area dying from a jellyfish sting. . Shark attacks been a few, more probable to die in a car crash, drowning etc etc.

On 2/26/2019 at 6:06 AM, simple1 said:

Other jellyfish from time to time, never heard of anyone in the Noosa area dying from a jellyfish sting. . Shark attacks been a few, more probable to die in a car crash, drowning etc etc.

Or you could swim in safer waters and not risk dying at all...

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, dbrenn said:

Noosa and the Sunshine Coast are lovely places. There's a reason why they call Australia 'God's country'.

Add to your list: Medicare, clean air, lots of wide open spaces, casual work opportunities for retirees, perfect steaks, fantastic night skies, English spoken everywhere ....

Advising someone to go to Australia for the climate is like advising someone who needs a mirror to just pop the shiny top off that can of live fleas in the corner and use that.  It may scratch one itch, but opens up a whole lot more.

Beside which, the place is on fire half the time, so 'Devil's country' would be more appropriate.

2 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Advising someone to go to Australia for the climate is like advising someone who needs a mirror to just pop the shiny top off that can of live fleas in the corner and use that.  It may scratch one itch, but opens up a whole lot more.

Beside which, the place is on fire half the time, so 'Devil's country' would be more appropriate.

Huh? Thailand's air quality ring any bells? Farmers setting fire to land up and down the country?

On 2/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, CharlieH said:

Cooler climate, not in my 12 years , atleast not in my area, its usually hotter than other areas, and very dry. Havnt seen rain since early December !

My GF lived in Phetchabun since growing up and prefers my house in Chaam because she says Phetchabun is too hot and dry, not to mention boring. 

On 2/23/2019 at 1:36 PM, tlandtday said:

I would certainly assess the pollution before moving anywhere.  I don't know why you jut didn't move over to Krabi?  Pattaya is no cooler than Phuket and the pollution is very bad.  Use the heat index when you calculate the heat effect it is of great importance.  Phuket gets more rain, more cloud and more wind which contribute to cooler temps as well as greater foliage.

However if you remain unconvinced I would certainly consider Vietnam you can adjust your temp by simply moving up or down the coast or up or down the mountains:)

Dalat VN is a 45 min dkigt north of HCMC up in the mountains. Very nice and cool much of the year, actually jacket weather at night in December. Not too big on nightlife, expats, or local shopping though. 

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, terryofcrete said:

i flew from phuket to pattaya there is a bus for 200 baht takes you to your hotel...