no helmet fine in the mail

KKr

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Everyone mostly knows the problem where we are no enforcement morning school times and after 4 o/c.

My main concern is anyone riding anywhere in Thailand should not ride a motorbike / scooter unless they have had proper training before being allowed on the road.

The road traffic act(Law) changed on the 5th May last year requiring every body riding on a motor cycle to wear a safety helmet, even a one year old child. I'm a motor cyclist for 40 year, sends shivers through me when  I see a man and probably his wife and as many a 3small children on the motor cycle.Not wearing a safety helmet makes the insurances null and void. One has to go conform to the road traffic act .

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I disagree.

Why not make drinking and smoking illegal people are killing themselves with these personal choice habits everyday in the world.

Wearing a helmet should be a personal decision. If a person does not care about their health while on a motorcycle that should be their choice.

If they don't care for their own health they sure won't care for yours neither.

That's why they mostly also drive against traffic without helmet.

10 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Their is a way to make people riding a motor cycle wear a helmet . At the moment the policeman who stops a motor cycle rider who is not wearing a helmet.is aiding abetting by letting the person continues his journey.

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

The road traffic act(Law) changed on the 5th May last year requiring every body riding on a motor cycle to wear a safety helmet, even a one year old child. I'm a motor cyclist for 40 year, sends shivers through me when  I see a man and probably his wife and as many a 3small children on the motor cycle.Not wearing a safety helmet makes the insurances null and void. One has to go conform to the road traffic act .

You sound like you've just turned up in Thailand from the west, the (Law) since 1997 hasn't done much to change things nor will the (Law) from last year.

I rode m/c before laws on wearing helmets were passed in UK.

You ask most Thais riding the run of mill small m/c and scoots a helmet keeps the sun off.

Also in Thailand not wearing a safety helmet does not make the insurance null and void, same as not having a DL.

5 hours ago, fruitman said:

you forgot to add 'and no tail light at night'

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to say, but anyone riding a motorbike anywhere in Thailand without a good helmet deserves a fine. The head is a very delicate thing. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, three years later, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. 

Repeated studies show that for 90% of ThaiVisa commentators it makes no difference whether or not they wear a crash helmet; the damage has already been done. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, bkk6060 said:

I disagree.

Why not make drinking and smoking illegal people are killing themselves with these personal choice habits everyday in the world.

Wearing a helmet should be a personal decision. If a person does not care about their health while on a motorcycle that should be their choice.

Inconsiderate immature fools think this way.

On 2/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, fruitman said:

Saw guy zooming around barefoot today.

Not that flip-flops are safer,

but ha ha ha.

HH the Dali Lama recommends laughing at adversity,

and in general.

ha ha

Tony Lama recommends cowboy boots.

papa agrees x2.

14 minutes ago, papa al said:

but ha ha ha.

and in general.

ha ha

papa agrees x2.

I also drove motocy on slippers for years. Now i wear shoes because in emergency i put my feet on the street and that happened a few times already.

Don't know who tony lama is but i like this tony  

10 hours ago, papa al said:

but ha ha ha.

and in general.

ha ha

papa agrees x2.

But the flip-flops might be Bata motor sandals.

Image result for bata motorcycle slippers

Next up in the cost conscious rider's range, a Tupperware racing helmet, polyester riding gloves, and cardboard brake pads.

14 hours ago, VYCM said:
On 2/24/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

Also in Thailand not wearing a safety helmet does not make the insurance null and void, same as not having a DL.

Can anyone confirm that this statement is true?

If you were here long enough you could confirm it yourself.

I'm referring to CTPL but some people try to dodge that that's why police check the date on road tax stickers because you cannot get it without renewing CTPL insurance. 

Are these photographed offences and fines coming through the post related to the gradual proliferation of "white number plates" that I see? By "white number plate" I mean a plate in which the black paint on the embossed raised numbers and letters has been either painted over in white or scraped off leaving the number plate just white. The number can only be seen by close-range inspection.

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Are these photographed offences and fines coming through the post related to the gradual proliferation of "white number plates" that I see? By "white number plate" I mean a plate in which the black paint on the embossed raised numbers and letters has been either painted over in white or scraped off leaving the number plate just white. The number can only be seen by close-range inspection.

Nah, it was a bad batch of government printing, I have a white one on my m/c and I didn't touch it.

20 hours ago, fruitman said:

I also drove motocy on slippers for years. Now i wear shoes because in emergency i put my feet on the street and that happened a few times already.

Don't know who tony lama is but i like this tony  

That's Tommie Robinson, activist, not Tony Lama boot-maker..

ha ha

22 minutes ago, papa al said:

That's Tommie Robinson, activist, not Tony Lama boot-maker..

I googled him and saw the cowboy boots...who would ware those in thailand? If i want safety boots i'll buy dr Martens but i'm far too lazy to tie them...I wear sneakers on the motocy and don't tie any ropes.

But i still see loads of thai without helmets, and the police does nothing at all...i even see police with helmet but without the camera on top, which is the law i thought.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
22 hours ago, VYCM said:
On 2/24/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kwasaki said:

Can anyone confirm that this statement is true?

If you were here long enough you could confirm it yourself.

I'm referring to CTPL but some people try to dodge that that's why police check the date on road tax stickers because you cannot get it without renewing CTPL insurance. 

Ok, you’re talking about CTP, not Comprehensive insurance.

You should have been clear to start with as driving on Thai roads and breaking the law your Comprehensive insurance can be void.

14 hours ago, VYCM said:

Ok, you’re talking about CTP, not Comprehensive insurance.

You should have been clear to start with as driving on Thai roads and breaking the law your Comprehensive insurance can be void.

Apologies for not not making it clear I assumed most people living in Thailand know that voluntary Comprehensive insurance can be easily be voided maybe that's why there's the compulsory insurance scheme in Thailand which covers the vehicle & 3rd party's.

My original post reply was just pointing out not wearing helmet does not make vehicle insurance void in Thailand.

You can't have just Comprehensive insurance on a vehicle in Thailand without having the compulsory insurance.

Many people from western countries don't understand vehicle insurance in Thailand I'm just trying to be helpful..

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologies for not not making it clear I assumed most people living in Thailand know that voluntary Comprehensive insurance can be easily be voided maybe that's why there's the compulsory insurance scheme in Thailand which covers the vehicle & 3rd party's.

My original post reply was just pointing out not wearing helmet does not make vehicle insurance void in Thailand.

You can't have just Comprehensive insurance on a vehicle in Thailand without having the compulsory insurance.

Many people from western countries don't understand vehicle insurance in Thailand I'm just trying to be helpful..

No apologies necessary mate, thanks for clearing that up. ????

18 hours ago, fruitman said:

But i still see loads of thai without helmets, and the police does nothing at all...i even see police with helmet but without the camera on top, which is the law i thought.

It depends where you live in my view.

Don't get police here wearing cameras.

In and around our village and out in the sticks many don't wear helmets a few police just wear there captain type hats. 

On 2/24/2019 at 12:35 PM, bkk6060 said:

I disagree.

Same for Seat belts in the car, and brakes for that matter, and not to forget stopping on Red.
Never mind who will have to pay for the medical expenses and care givers, family maintenance, damages and so on, after someone turned into a half plant - half zombie.
Not the Government's problem is it, so nothing to regulate.
The Accident damaged persons are not going to file a complaint anyway
if put on the sidewalk on Wednesday morning.

(If you do not like cynical comments, please do block me.)

Archived