Bars open after midnight in Chiang Mai?

j8k

Do they exist, even on a Saturday night? Looking particularly for bars that might show EPL soccer?

Can't believe Thailand's second city seems to close down at midnight, I mean, <deleted> is going on here? I read that nightclubs close at 1am <deleted>!

36 minutes ago, j8k said:

What a joke of a country!

Come to Thailand, have fun in the land of smile, but go home at midnight! for <deleted>-x sake!

Get over yourself, man. There are plenty of bars who stay open beyond the cerfuw. Start on Loi Kroh, ask around and you'll be sure to find what you're looking for.

2 hours ago, j8k said:

Do they exist, even on a Saturday night? Looking particularly for bars that might show EPL soccer?

And if we provided a name and address here do you think it will still be open tomorrow night?

The BIB are not as dumb as you think.  The owner of any said bar, not already in their radar/site address book, will very soon be asked for a donation to the tea fund to remain open. 

As said earlier ask the staff and patrons at bars that are showing live sports and you will be directed accordingly.

But remember, again as pointed out above, if you end up in a "lock in bar" you are "locked in to their prices". 

1 hour ago, j8k said:

Come to Thailand, have fun in the land of smile, but go home at midnight! for <deleted>-x sake!

As a "senior member" I assume you must have done some research before you came here, and therefore knew the rules/norms, I think it is wrong to state that Thailand is "a joke of a country". 

The joke, if any, is on you! 

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

All the after hours  lock bars that I have been too around LK , they all charged normal prices 

I did not say that they would not charge "normal prices".  I just stated that he is "locked in" to whatever they wish to charge.

You sound as if you are a "regular" such customer and could well be getting a better deal than a stranger who does not know the "norms".

18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

As a "senior member" I assume you must have done some research before you came here, and therefore knew the rules/norms, I think it is wrong to state that Thailand is "a joke of a country". 

The joke, if any, is on you! 

When I came here they were open all night, times change.

If you want 24/7 cheap drinking I can thoroughly recommend Siam Reap, beer 50c/pint cocktails $1

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

I did not say that they would not charge "normal prices".  I just stated that he is "locked in" to whatever they wish to charge.

You sound as if you are a "regular" such customer and could well be getting a better deal than a stranger who does not know the "norms".

And commence back peddling.

Of course there are bars open after midnight for drinking and watching sports. There is one well known Sports Bar and Restaurant located in Anusarn market that shows EPL, Rugby and other sports up until 1:30 a.m. They have even been known to remain open until the matches or game is over with the blessing of the BIBS.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, j8k said:

Pattaya doesn't shut down at midnight. They actually have a nightlife there.

I couldn't believe how pathetic C M night life is when I moved there.

However, for those that complain about that sort of thing, C M is great as it's easy to ignore.

29 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Of course there are bars open after midnight for drinking and watching sports. There is one well known Sports Bar and Restaurant located in Anusarn market that shows EPL, Rugby and other sports up until 1:30 a.m. They have even been known to remain open until the matches or game is over with the blessing of the BIBS.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does this bar also have live commentary?

When I first visited Chiang Mai 20 years ago it was a fantastic city with lots of fun nightlife throughout the night, especially in the Loy Kroh and Night Bazaar ("Climbing Rock") areas. All this changed when the Junta took control. The "Rock" became derelict and was eventually bulldozed. Glitzy new arcades were built on the site selling "junk" to the tourists (mainly Chinese at that time - they now shop at the Maya Center). There is still an active bar area near the Anusan Market (Off Chang Klang Road) which remains open beyond midnight. Across town in the North West is the Chang Phrueak area where many Thai bars and restaurants are concentrated. I have watched EPL football at one of them beyond midnight. This is the area I go to now when visiting CNX and a good new hotel is the "Ah-Ha Inthanin" within a few minutes walking distance - around 700 baht per night. Loy Kroh Road has been a target for several years by the authorities and property developers who want to build more hotels and shopping arcades but due to local resident opinion and resistance this has not yet been achieved. On a recent visit to LK road for lunch, I was told I could not have a beer with my meal between 2pm and 5pm, the waiter stating compliance with the local 7 - 11 and police. It was 2:15pm and when I got up to go I was "secretly" offered beer in a coffee mug with the bottle hidden under the table!! Having finished my meal I went to Huai Kaeo Road towards the University where the English "Pub" and other refreshment outlets were open without any restrictions. 

41 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

When I first visited Chiang Mai 20 years ago it was a fantastic city with lots of fun nightlife throughout the night, especially in the Loy Kroh and Night Bazaar ("Climbing Rock") areas. All this changed when the Junta took control. The "Rock" became derelict and was eventually bulldozed. Glitzy new arcades were built on the site selling "junk" to the tourists (mainly Chinese at that time - they now shop at the Maya Center). There is still an active bar area near the Anusan Market (Off Chang Klang Road) which remains open beyond midnight. Across town in the North West is the Chang Phrueak area where many Thai bars and restaurants are concentrated. I have watched EPL football at one of them beyond midnight. This is the area I go to now when visiting CNX and a good new hotel is the "Ah-Ha Inthanin" within a few minutes walking distance - around 700 baht per night. Loy Kroh Road has been a target for several years by the authorities and property developers who want to build more hotels and shopping arcades but due to local resident opinion and resistance this has not yet been achieved. On a recent visit to LK road for lunch, I was told I could not have a beer with my meal between 2pm and 5pm, the waiter stating compliance with the local 7 - 11 and police. It was 2:15pm and when I got up to go I was "secretly" offered beer in a coffee mug with the bottle hidden under the table!! Having finished my meal I went to Huai Kaeo Road towards the University where the English "Pub" and other refreshment outlets were open without any restrictions. 

All your activities and grievances seem to revolve around drinking and the availability of alcohol . 

There have been clampdowns on the nightlife around the LK area , it was mainly the Temples and the locals who voiced complaints .

The small drinking contingent disturbed everyone else all night long .

The bars were rowdy and noisy , prostitutes , all night party people , backpackers , thirsty ex-pats and various other drinkers making noise all night long .

Arguments and fights were common , tuk-tuks buzzing around all night long , people singing and shouting on the way home at 5 AM , with the hardcore still continuing drinking  until 10 AM .

Walking down the street in the morning , there were broken bottles , half eaten kebabs and vomit on the streets and sometimes there would be drunks passed out , sleeping on the kerb .

Archived