Kidney related question

evadgib

During a recent routine medical appointment (me) a nurse mentioned (to my wife) that certain vegetables should be avoided by people with kidney probs. Details are vague but Carrots & Tomato were mentioned, as were what my wife called 'bright colours (oxidents?)'

I as usual feel perfectly OK and have been pretty good diet-wise for a very long time. Does this now mean that Peppers, Beetroot, Red cabbage etc are off the menu too?

For the record Kidney probs are in the family and were first diagnosed 3-4 years ago. I have lost more than 20kgs via diet and exercise and hope/need to lose a further 12. 

Just a thought, but could the small amount of turmeric & apple cider vinegar that I drink each morning have negatively affected my blood & urine test results?

First of all, there are different types of kidney problems/diseases and any dietary advice would need to be specific to the type of disease. 

Depending on the type of kidney disease, dietary advice generally concerns sodium, potassium, and/or protein.

The only possible issue I can think of that would apply to the sort of vegetables you mention would be potassium content and this is a concern only for people with moderate to severe kidney failure.

No idea if this applies to you but doubtful from what you describe of feeling OK. Exactly what is it that was diagnosed 3-4 years ago - a problem of yours (if so, what?) or kidney problems in family members?

It is not the case that foods rich in potassium are bad for the kidneys per se nor do they increase the likelihood of developing kidney disease in any way. it is just that people with moderate to severe kidney failure have a reduced ability to excrete potassium so levels can build up.

Assuming you yourself do not have renal failure there is no need whatsoever to limit vegetable intake.

The biggest risk factors for later developing kidney problems are diabetes and high blood pressure.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

First of all, there are different types of kidney problems/diseases and any dietary advice would need to be specific to the type of disease. 

Depending on the type of kidney disease, dietary advice generally concerns sodium, potassium, and/or protein.

The only possible issue I can think of that would apply to the sort of vegetables you mention would be potassium content and this is a concern only for people with moderate to severe kidney failure.

No idea if this applies to you but doubtful from what you describe of feeling OK. Exactly what is it that was diagnosed 3-4 years ago - a problem of yours (if so, what?) or kidney problems in family members?

It is not the case that foods rich in potassium are bad for the kidneys per se nor do they increase the likelihood of developing kidney disease in any way. it is just that people with moderate to severe kidney failure have a reduced ability to excrete potassium so levels can build up.

Assuming you yourself do not have renal failure there is no need whatsoever to limit vegetable intake.

The biggest risk factors for later developing kidney problems are diabetes and high blood pressure.

Thanks Sheryl, Weight and BP are partly to blame but i'm pleased to note that i'm currently 132/74/76 having just walked 5kms. 

Gout was the first indication that anything was wrong. During an ultrasonic kidney scan a few years ago a 2cm 'golf ball' was found which has since been treated by daily meds. 30+ years earlier an unusual reading in a urine sample while in the military lead to me being hospitalized in order to have a dye-check but nothing was found despite the readings continuing. I now believe the events are related.

I boxed when younger (not always in a ring!) and have had several occupational knocks that might have contributed to the initial problem.

I don't think there is anything seriously wrong but I nonetheless hope to shift a further 12kgs.

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If by a cm "golf ball" you mean a renal tumor, unless your renal function is compromised there is no need to be concerned about potassium intake and a normal healthy diet are fine.

Was the tumor excised?

They weren't sure whether it (they didn't use the word tumor) was solid or a cyst but daily meds reduced it in size within a few months without the need for surgery.

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What meds? I am having trouble figuring out what this was,,,

Whatever they initially gave me for gout and hypertension. Unfortunately I cannot recall the original product names.

Edit: An old photo on my phone shows Furosemide 40mg, Allopurinol 100mg and Amlopine 10mg.

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

I’m not a doctor mate, but have you had a more recent ultrasound on that cyst or whatever it is as a follow-up?

Yes, That's how i know it shrank ????

Re Meds: The above list is probably wrong. The name of the drug for the kidney prob escapes me but I was taken off once the size had gone down.

My wife hoards paperwork and might still have it on file. 

Archived