BANGKOK 23 March 2019 11:09
RamenRaven

Thailand farangs are fat, China farangs are skinny, why?

No offense meant to any Farangs or Thais or Chinese of any size.

But, I noticed that most white men in Thailand are really fat, despite most local Thais being quite skinny. The obesity rate in America is about 35%, but if you saw Farangs walk around in Thailand you'd think it's 80-90%.

But in China, the farangs I see are mostly skinny. The irony is that so many Chinese people are so much fatter than Thais. I think we can all agree that the average Chinese is fatter than the average Thai. Chinese like everything fried, but Thais enjoy their som tam. Skinny locals, fat farangs. Fat locals, skinny farangs. I don't get it.

Why? Is there something about life in Thailand that makes most of us fat here? Or is it that Thailand attracts the fat farangs more than the skinny farangs? I don't get it.

1 minute ago, RamenRaven said:

that makes most of us fat here?

Speak for yourself, Butterball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HLover said:

Speak for yourself, Butterball.

Members who have read my previous posts know that I'm a skinny stick. I feel a bit out of place being the only emaciated Farang among a big sea of butterballs.

I don't like fat shaming either. I think that sometimes it's beyond their control. I feel sorry for some of my more heavyset friends who are trying to lose weight, and I give them as many tips as possible. Unfortunately for some it seems to be genetic or hormonal, so they have so much more trouble losing weight than I do.

Thought is was generally accepted that the Chinese are generally a work orientated nationality whereas the Thais are mostly lazy.  Hence it is obvious why they are fat. Having said that of course most Thai females are the ones that actually work and are somewhat thinner than their male counterparts as can be witnessed at any superstore by the fact that the 5 foot 2 inch arrogant lazy Thai male husband/boyfriend weighing 80 kg or more almost fall out of their pick-ups.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Thought is was generally accepted that the Chinese are generally a work orientated nationality whereas the Thais are mostly lazy.  Hence it is obvious why they are fat.

Wait, being lazy makes you skinny?

Edited by RamenRaven

Thailand is a magnet for working class expats who like their beer and fried breakfast 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RamenRaven said:

Wait, being lazy makes you skinny?

only if you are too lazy to cook and eat

Most farangs I know have lost weight here...even the skinny ones

Goes w/o saying I have lost weight too (65 from a paltry 70 kgs)

Go 7/11 at 6-30 am see the kids Thai's becoming right little porkies 

most ppl tend to get stuck looking below my belt,

but other than that i'm not that big in girth,

look up and see the whole me is my suggestion

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

I don't like fat shaming either. I think that sometimes it's beyond their control. I feel sorry for some of my more heavyset friends who are trying to lose weight, and I give them as many tips as possible. Unfortunately for some it seems to be genetic or hormonal, so they have so much more trouble losing weight than I do.

It depends on what one puts into ones mouth quite often as to the level of obesity.

I have seen an increase in the size of many Thai over the past few years, especially younger people, (perhaps fast food  ) certainly the sugar levels in so many foods and the drinks consumed.

For a small number it is genetic/hormonal, but it often depends on what you eat and daily levels of activity.

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I would pick the drinking culture here? Cheap and plentiful beer bars, the year-round warm weather makes exercise less appealing (who wants to go for a run in 35 degree weather?). 

Air conditioned gyms, 

It is a sad fact that is not disputable given what we can see with our own eyes. Since I have been coming here since 1997 and have lived full time since 2006 I have seen the expanding waistlines of Thai children get bigger and bigger. Is it the proliferation of fast food chains, the ease of buying cheap and unhealthy foods at places like 7-11, the growing laziness due to spending too much time gazing at screens, etc.?? I believe it is a combination of all these things and it is not going to change. Thailand is becoming a nation of fatties.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1