Thailand farangs are fat, China farangs are skinny, why?

RamenRaven

No offense meant to any Farangs or Thais or Chinese of any size.

But, I noticed that most white men in Thailand are really fat, despite most local Thais being quite skinny. The obesity rate in America is about 35%, but if you saw Farangs walk around in Thailand you'd think it's 80-90%.

But in China, the farangs I see are mostly skinny. The irony is that so many Chinese people are so much fatter than Thais. I think we can all agree that the average Chinese is fatter than the average Thai. Chinese like everything fried, but Thais enjoy their som tam. Skinny locals, fat farangs. Fat locals, skinny farangs. I don't get it.

Why? Is there something about life in Thailand that makes most of us fat here? Or is it that Thailand attracts the fat farangs more than the skinny farangs? I don't get it.

I don't like fat shaming either. I think that sometimes it's beyond their control. I feel sorry for some of my more heavyset friends who are trying to lose weight, and I give them as many tips as possible. Unfortunately for some it seems to be genetic or hormonal, so they have so much more trouble losing weight than I do.

Thought is was generally accepted that the Chinese are generally a work orientated nationality whereas the Thais are mostly lazy.  Hence it is obvious why they are fat. Having said that of course most Thai females are the ones that actually work and are somewhat thinner than their male counterparts as can be witnessed at any superstore by the fact that the 5 foot 2 inch arrogant lazy Thai male husband/boyfriend weighing 80 kg or more almost fall out of their pick-ups.

2 hours ago, RamenRaven said:

I don't like fat shaming either. I think that sometimes it's beyond their control. I feel sorry for some of my more heavyset friends who are trying to lose weight, and I give them as many tips as possible. Unfortunately for some it seems to be genetic or hormonal, so they have so much more trouble losing weight than I do.

It depends on what one puts into ones mouth quite often as to the level of obesity.

I have seen an increase in the size of many Thai over the past few years, especially younger people, (perhaps fast food  ) certainly the sugar levels in so many foods and the drinks consumed.

For a small number it is genetic/hormonal, but it often depends on what you eat and daily levels of activity.

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I would pick the drinking culture here? Cheap and plentiful beer bars, the year-round warm weather makes exercise less appealing (who wants to go for a run in 35 degree weather?). 

Air conditioned gyms, 

It is a sad fact that is not disputable given what we can see with our own eyes. Since I have been coming here since 1997 and have lived full time since 2006 I have seen the expanding waistlines of Thai children get bigger and bigger. Is it the proliferation of fast food chains, the ease of buying cheap and unhealthy foods at places like 7-11, the growing laziness due to spending too much time gazing at screens, etc.?? I believe it is a combination of all these things and it is not going to change. Thailand is becoming a nation of fatties.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

It is a sad fact that is not disputable given what we can see with our own eyes. Since I have been coming here since 1997 and have lived full time since 2006 I have seen the expanding waistlines of Thai children get bigger and bigger. Is it the proliferation of fast food chains, the ease of buying cheap and unhealthy foods at places like 7-11, the growing laziness due to spending too much time gazing at screens, etc.?? I believe it is a combination of all these things and it is not going to change. Thailand is becoming a nation of fatties.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Fattest in se asia... wait a minute I see a new hub... THE HUB OF FATNESS!!!!!

14 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

I have been living in SEA since the late seventies and have watched the rise of obesity, my observations are that it starts with what they drink, previously they used to drink primarily water, then they get onto the sodas, now the rage is coffees with about a ton and half of sugar in each giant sized mug! :coffee1:

21 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Thailand is a magnet for working class expats who like their beer and fried breakfast 

Its bakery heaven. Plus Kanom should be classed like Fentanyl.

And the Thais stay skinny because they will buy 2 kanom and share with the whole family, me, Ill buy 6 o yeah lets try this, shove slurp gobble, hmmmm, how about this macaroon thing nomnom....

Plus I hear China food sucks. Least thats what my brat in Shanghai says. She lives to eat Thai food.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Thought is was generally accepted that the Chinese are generally a work orientated nationality whereas the Thais are mostly lazy.  Hence it is obvious why they are fat. Having said that of course most Thai females are the ones that actually work and are somewhat thinner than their male counterparts as can be witnessed at any superstore by the fact that the 5 foot 2 inch arrogant lazy Thai male husband/boyfriend weighing 80 kg or more almost fall out of their pick-ups.

Based on the OP's observations, your post makes absolutely no sense. 

On 2/23/2019 at 2:32 PM, RamenRaven said:

But, I noticed that most white men in Thailand are really fat, despite most local Thais being quite skinny. The obesity rate in America is about 35%, but if you saw Farangs walk around in Thailand you'd think it's 80-90%.

But in China, the farangs I see are mostly skinny. The irony is that so many Chinese people are so much fatter than Thais. I think we can all agree that the average Chinese is fatter than the average Thai. Chinese like everything fried, but Thais enjoy their som tam. Skinny locals, fat farangs. Fat locals, skinny farangs. I don't get it.

OP, is it possible that you are observing older farangs in Thailand (retirees) against younger farangs (working age) in China?  Not sure if China has any sort of foreign retiree visa program that Thailand does.   

On 2/23/2019 at 2:38 PM, RamenRaven said:

Unfortunately for some it seems to be genetic or hormonal,

recent studies have found it is the flora in out gut.

Thin people have different flora than fat people. So in a way it IS inherited.

Just a thought. It is <deleted> hot in Thailand so that can and does limit everybody's desire to exercise or do things outside. China on the other hand has a more temperate climate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 11:07 AM, VocalNeal said:

recent studies have found it is the flora in out gut.

Thin people have different flora than fat people. So in a way it IS inherited.

Just a thought. It is <deleted> hot in Thailand so that can and does limit everybody's desire to exercise or do things outside. China on the other hand has a more temperate climate.

Gut flora can be altered by eating stuff like Kimshi.. saurerkraut, drinking kefir and or course eating healthy foods with fibers. Your gut flora will be happy with you and you will get better.

Sure some people have a slower metabolic rate (i got a thyroid problem) but even if you have a slower metabolic rate you can still improve on your current body. Nobody has to be fat, its a life style choice. 

Sure not everyone can reach a 6 pac of abs but normal weights are attainable for almost everyone IF they are willing to change and sacrifice stuff. 

So for a large part its a choice and I don't care if people are fat or not. I only have problems with fat people who complain they can't lose weight but are unwilling to really give up things or change. 

Archived