Job opportunity/advice regarding 14 year old boy

bod

Just want to help a friend of mine who's the mother of a boy that doesn't want to go to school anymore. He's almost 14 years old and the legal age to start working is 15. Are there any job opportunties? Other suggestions would be also be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

There are barely any job opportunities for highly qualified people with degrees and PHDs here in Thailand especially in CM. What hope does a 15 year old with little schooling have?
It will be a low end job. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

45 minutes ago, bod said:

a boy that doesn't want to go to school anymore

How many 14Yo's want to go to school?

If you want to help, educate the mother about education & job opportunities.  If he drops out now the best he will make is garbage collection/road sweeping if he is lucky.

Maybe a local bike garage as sweeper up while he might just learn a bit about bike repair.

PS; Is he from a village or Town/city?

2 minutes ago, bod said:

Why does he not want to continue schooling?? Is he being bullied, or not succeeding at school?

Please try to encourage him to get a further education

Thailand is extremely status-conscious. Most jobs, which fall under formal employment, specify a minimum education level, typically Bachelor's degree or M.6 or vocational qualifications such as Por Wor Sor. Therefore this lad will effectively be closing off any employment in the formal sector.

So, he is looking at a career as a self-employed person. Trading or selling would be the best way for him to be making any money in 15 years' time.

Of course it all depends on his aptitude. If he is bone idle, he will not succeed in anything no matter what wonderful advice he receives. All time between 15 and 25 to 30, should be spent focusing on skills which will carry the person through to retirement.

Why does he not want to continue schooling?? Is he being bullied, or not succeeding at school?
Please try to encourage him to get a further education
He has a learning disability and doesn't get the attention he needs. He just sits in the classroom doing nothing.

May I also comment on your initial question.

It looks like a question from someone who is projecting Western norms on to a very different type of society. Why do I say that?

1. No-one here gives a shit about the law. If a 14-year-old works, nobody cares. This is not the West.

2. The job market here is much more limited in terms of progression than in the West. It is much harder to work your way up from the bottom here unless you are self-employed.

3. The income inequality and wealth distribution is one of the highest in the world. Both points 2 and 3 mean that you don't have many low-educated, manual workers here that own a house, 2 cars and have disposable income as you meet routinely in the West.

39 minutes ago, bod said:

When my 11 year-old's grades started falling precipitously while he took longer and longer to get ready for school, I started to point out the wild-haired, red-eyed, dirty, bag man that we would see every morning on the school run and say, "See what happens when you don't do your bloody homework!"

39 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

How many 14Yo's want to go to school?

If you want to help, educate the mother about education & job opportunities.  If he drops out now the best he will make is garbage collection/road sweeping if he is lucky.

Maybe a local bike garage as sweeper up while he might just learn a bit about bike repair.

PS; Is he from a village or Town/city?

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Put him to work in a rice field. He'll be begging to go back to school.

Give it a rest will ya!

The guy asked a genuine question.

And here's another snippet of information;

i know 3 millionaires in my home country.

All 3 left school at 16 or earlier.

All are self made millionaires, ie they inherited nothing.

Except a hard work ethic from their families.

And two left school unable to read or write, and the third was dyslexic............

And they are wonderful human beings.

3 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Give it a rest will ya!

The guy asked a genuine question.

And here's another snippet of information;

i know 3 millionaires in my home country.

All 3 left school at 16 or earlier.

All are self made millionaires, ie they inherited nothing.

Except a hard work ethic from their families.

And two left school unable to read or write, and the third was dyslexic............

And they are wonderful human beings.

Until your last sentence, I thought maybe you knew Richard Branson personally.

45 minutes ago, bod said:

He has a learning disability and doesn't get the attention he needs. He just sits in the classroom doing nothing.

In some locations there are remedial schools for various purposes. Some are referred to as adult school.

I'm aware of one which used to operate under a big tree in Lumpini park, for Thai folks, any age who didn't get past P3 or get any HS education. 

Lessons are all day Saturday and Sunday. The school employs excellent teachers who are capable of handling different situations with lack of learning / learning disabilities, they are very good at giving encouragement, making the students feel good / feel respected etc. Resulting in the participants being very keen to attend attendees can graduate very quickly.

From my understanding these schools are everywhere and they advertise regularly in maintsream newspapers and more.  The schools are fully accredited and have some gov't funding. 

Worth checking. 

Different point, attending school is compulsory in Thailand and schools are supposed to inform one of the education administration offices of any kids who are not attending regularly or who have dropped out.

They do follow up but how serious or comprehensive this is I don't know.

I'm aware that punishing the parents is a possibility.

In some locations there are remedial schools for various purposes. Some are referred to as adult school.

I'm aware of one which used to operate under a big tree in Lumpini park, for Thai folks, any age who didn't get past P3 or get any HS education. 

Lessons are all day Saturday and Sunday. The school employs excellent teachers who are capable of handling different situations with lack of learning / learning disabilities, they are very good at giving encouragement, making the students feel good / feel respected etc. Resulting in the participants being very keen to attend attendees can graduate very quickly.

From my understanding these schools are everywhere and they advertise regularly in maintsream newspapers and more.  The schools are fully accredited and have some gov't funding. 

Worth checking. 

Different point, attending school is compulsory in Thailand and schools are supposed to inform one of the education administration offices of any kids who are not attending regularly or who have dropped out.

They do follow up but how serious or comprehensive this is I don't know.

I'm aware that punishing the parents is a possibility.

I've searched a bit online for remedial/adult schools in Chiang Mai but failed to find any. Anyone who knows?

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

They are in every Amphur, normally run on Sundays.

Doi Saket has one (forgot the location) Mae Rim has one (in the school next to NakornPing Hospital)

Ask at your local Amphur Office.

6 minutes ago, bod said:

Care to explain?

Yes, what is his aptitude? What does he see himself doing? What is he good at? How does he spend his free time? What field are his achievements in?

I don't want his mother's view.

(In addition, I should say that every [lazy] uneducated Thai male states they want to be a driver. This is because it is seen as well-paid (for the unskilled and uneducated), easy (lots of sitting around time) and it carries a higher status than a manual labourer (because it is not manual labour).)

However the main point is the first paragraph. Just dismiss the driver idea. He can't do that for years any way.

Perhaps ask the adult vocational school (name Wittyalai Sara PraChang?) on Huey Kaew Rd, just west of Maya,  opposite the Honda MC dealer.  They could perhaps direct you to govt help for teenagers with disability.
Yes, I've also was thinking about that school. Thanks.

Yes, what is his aptitude? What does he see himself doing? What is he good at? How does he spend his free time? What field are his achievements in? I don't want his mother's view.

I quote myself: "His mother told me he maybe would like to become a driver."

So that's what the boy told his mother. I didn't write: "His mother told me that she wants him to become a driver."

Nothing to do with his mother's view...

Archived