Job opportunity/advice regarding 14 year old boy

bod

1 minute ago, bod said:

I quote myself: "His mother told me he maybe wants to become a driver."
So that's what the boy told his mother. I didn't write: His mother told me that she wants him to become a driver. Nothing to do with his mother's view...

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

Okay, where did the driver idea come from? Can he drive a car? If so, is he good at it?

Next step: Since you are looking to help this lad, you could put him through professional training when he is old enough. Thailand is awash with "professional drivers". Most of them drive in an indisciplined manner earning around 15 - 20,000 Baht a month.

There are lots of unemployed graduates nowadays because too many chasing after the same type of clean jobs.

I would suggest to the boy to pursue his interest, eg. does he like motorbikes? he can learn as a trainee to fix motorbikes, does he like cooking, be a chef? Does he like building houses? Like working with animals ie. become elephant caretaker... ..... 

There are tons of demand for this type of job for school dropouts.

All these don't need  any certs or degrees and some earn more than graduates.

Make sure he gets through Mathayom 3 (finishes age 15). This is the minimum requirments for any basic job.

He can then go to a vocational or technical college and study what he is interested in. There are many around - Chiang Mai Vocational College next to Yupparaj School, Saraphi Technical College on the 106 nirth of Saraphi town and the place opposite Chiang Mai University on Huay Kaew (Rajamangkla Technical College? Though not sure they take students at 15). There's also one in Nong Hoi next to Varee School. Lots more. maybe find out when one of their open days are for the new school year and take him along, show him what his options are if he finishes Mathayom 3. My wife's nephew ended up at Rajamankla and now works in Yangon for a Japanese firm in 3D graphics design. Apparently he wasn't the most motivated student at school.

If this is a Thai boy, perhaps a Thai solution would be more appropriate? 

No one has mentioned enrolling the boy in a monastic training center.  Perhaps the monks can school the boy in ways that modern society cannot?
Thanks for the suggestion.

4 hours ago, bod said:

He has a learning disability and doesn't get the attention he needs. He just sits in the classroom doing nothing.

Oh not succeeding then, depending on the disability he may need to be encouraged into an area of interest to gain some skills.

Does the school have the requisite specialty teachers to assist the young man?

Try to develop his areas of interest.

Perhaps some part time work in an interest area would assist him?

3 hours ago, bod said:

Is Nakornping Hospital the place to go in Chiang Mai, so not Suandok or Suan Prung?

No, the place I mentioned only handles children and adolescents. All government psychological testing is/was done there. That would be the first place to go. They may refer the boy from there.

15 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Give it a rest will ya!

The guy asked a genuine question.

And here's another snippet of information;

i know 3 millionaires in my home country.

All 3 left school at 16 or earlier.

All are self made millionaires, ie they inherited nothing.

Except a hard work ethic from their families.

And two left school unable to read or write, and the third was dyslexic............

And they are wonderful human beings.

Oh, you mean the American dream came true for these people? How many Thais do you know this happened to?

Archived