Don't be careless like me, check your bank transactions for fraud

I have my Bangkok Bank account I use for my retirement Visa money and use it for everyday purchases. I just found out someone has been using my debit card to pay for his Netflix subscription and purchases for the last few months.

It wasn't obvious at first to me as the main bank statement does not show where the purchase was made, just electronic transfer and it was mixed in with my day to day shopping. Non of these payments seems to be over 500 baht and that is the limit for sending an SMS. I only found them because I didn't realise if you clicked on the debit card on the banks phone app you could get a statement of that, and these said the payment was to Netflix, which I've never had an account with.

I've been rather complacent, having been used to UK banks where I've never had any issues, but this is my fault for not checking it more carefully.

So, called Netflix Thailand this morning and the guy was quite surprised when he checked my bank card number and found someone had attempted to setup 36 counts and has created 4 accounts and was using my card. They immediately blacklisted the card and said they would open a fraud case and I was likely to get the money back in 30 days but I needed to get Bangkok Bank to contact them to organise it.

Next visited the bank and explained the situation, showed the phone banking app with the Netflix payments. After about 30 minutes of phone calls and printing off statements the lady said it was not possible for Netflix to have my bank details. Again logged into the phone app and showed the Netflix payments and after more phone calls I got to speak with someone with decent English who opened an investigation case.

Cancelled the card and was charged another 400 baht and now have Mastercard instead of Visa but at least its not union pay.

So there's a chance a might get refunded, but the lesson learnt here is be very careful with Banking is this country.

28 minutes ago, TeaMonkey said:

So there's a chance a might get refunded, but the lesson learnt here is be very careful with Banking is this country.

Lesson to be learned, don't keep your retirement money in an account with card or internet access.

Passbook and passport at the bank desk access only.

Doesn't seem like you've learned that lesson yet.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lesson to be learned, don't keep your retirement money in an account with card or internet access.

Yes, you're right. I should get around to setting up another account just for daily use with minimum money in it.

24 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

Thank u the helpful advice. Hope it all sorted for u...????????

Nowadays it's possible to set up an instant SMS advice for pretty much every banking transaction, most banks offer this service, some banks it's free. 

I guess the OP is meaning a savings account. I have both personal and joint savings accounts with 2 Thai banks, both banks send an instant SMS for all transactions on all of these accounts, all free. And same on credit card transactions.

I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years and have stuck to a policy all that time. The policy is "use cash all the time". I have had Thai debit cards and I think I used them twice in all that time, once in Foodland and once in Tops. I bring money to Thailand in cash. I change it at money changer's. I put it in my Thai account. I pull out the money I need from the ATM. I pay for everything in Thailand in cash.

Does that guarantee I will not be a victim of bank fraud? No.

Does it improve my chances? Yes.

My policy will not be everybody's cup of tea. But I am not planning to change it.

Thank you to the OP for sharing his experiences.

Good post/reminder. 

Same as others mentioned, I also set up a main holding account with no ATM access, and then a second, joint account with ATM cards for me and the Mrs.  Transfer small amounts into the second account via online banking as and when required, which is also a good way to keep a lid on spending as there's not 1,000s of Baht on tap all the time. 

I check my bank accounts online  several times a week.

Yesterday I was surprised to see that somebody had used my credit card in J Sainsbury 3 days ago and bought 134 pounds worth of groceries.

Impossible as I live in Thailand and only use my card for big things like airplane tickets etc.

So .......immediately phoned the bank fraud line and they cancelled my card and refunded the amount.

Definitely pays to be vigilant.

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years and have stuck to a policy all that time. The policy is "use cash all the time". I have had Thai debit cards and I think I used them twice in all that time, once in Foodland and once in Tops. I bring money to Thailand in cash. I change it at money changer's. I put it in my Thai account. I pull out the money I need from the ATM. I pay for everything in Thailand in cash.

My policy will not be everybody's cup of tea. But I am not planning to change it.

I am similar but I think bringing the money in in cash will maybe come back and bite you on the backside in the future when we are likely to be required to show some kind of audit trail for whatever reason. 

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

I am similar but I think bringing the money in in cash will maybe come back and bite you on the backside in the future when we are likely to be required to show some kind of audit trail for whatever reason. 

I take your point. The reason I bring money in in cash is to save on exchange losses and bank fees.

I have no significant assets in Thailand such as property or a new car. Total realisable value is way less than 1 million baht. The principal reason people need to show documentary evidence of money coming in is to take money out of Thailand. Since that is very unlikely in my case as the majority of my assets are overseas, I am not concerned by this. I cannot imagine why any other authority may need me to prove an audit trail for my assets in Thailand but you never know. For others with different circumstances, there will be a need to show how the money entered Thailand and was exchanged into baht.

Any way, I am getting off topic. Bank fraud is common here. Bank employees or sub-contractors are often involved. Most importantly, when it is uncovered, the victim has a much harder time to recover the monies lost than in developed countries. So, the point is, if anybody is concerned by this, as I am, reduce the possibility for fraud.

Something similar happened to my SCB account a few years ago. Someone was able to set up automatic monthly withdrawal from my account to pay his Thai social security. It was about 290B a month. I found out after two withdrawals, went to an SCB branch and got my refund.

Amazing Thailand!

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Dont keep ANY Thai account that has internet access or a card with more than 50k tops. Totally agree passbook only usage for bigger accounts

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Very true, that's the way I have always done it. Cards here are just too vulnerable.

Anyone else maintain their accounts in ledgers/register books, and balance them against bank statements randomly and/or monthly?  Odd or missing transactions on the bank stmt stick out like a sore thumb, good to catch them early.  

20 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Same here, cash is king!!

Archived