Watch Oscars Free At Home

Brightly

Hi all,

I was searching for a local venue to watch the Academy Awards here in CM (and thanks to the member who sent a venue suggestion), but I also found a nice, free online workaround for anyone who has a VPN.

It turns out that 9NOW, a free streaming service providing broadcast Australian TV, will be screening the Oscars live (for us that is 8AM this Monday).

To watch the Oscars on your computer, just follow these steps.

1.  Choose an Australian server portal from your VPN provider, and sign in with that (I chose Melbourne).

2.  Go to the Australian 9NOW website, and create an account.  You’ll need an Australian post code (I used 3006 for Melbourne), but no other address.

3.  Once signed into 9NOW, you’ll be able to live stream the Oscars (as well as many other offerings) on your computer or mobile device.

Pretty slick, huh?

Yes.  

Many of us use VPN to shield our online privacy for banking services, online purchases, and the like. It switches the user’s server to a non-Thai city, and also encrypts data. 

It can likewise be used to access (parts of) Netflix, Amazon Video, and other overseas-centric streaming platforms that would otherwise be inaccessible in Thailand.

There are some free VPN apps available, but in my opinion, these are not great options.  However, there are a few VPN services that offer 7-day free trials.

Everyone has their favorite.  I’ve used Witopia for the past 4 years and have always been happy with them.  Great online support.

But everyone has their favorite, so ask around.

I would never enter sensitive passwords, do banking, nor enter a credit card number online without a VPN to protect my privacy.

Archived