BANGKOK 23 March 2019 20:47
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Mind your language - why I swear by Thailand!

A good read, thanks. 

It's as close as I get to the Sunday's these days.

Sunday mornings.... I've started checking the clock to see if Thaivisa has arrived in my email inbox.

Well done Rooster.

• Like 2

Great read ! imho, expats living here who know the swear words (particularly the "depersonalizing pronouns") should never use them ... unless you like violence, and/or have a death wish.

Being aware of their use by Thais ... who are unaware you understand them ... can be useful, but difficult to interpret in context.

~o:37;

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Getting to be addicted to Rooster's posts. Thanks.

That's good to hear.

Maybe I should open a rehab clinic funded by the NCPO. 

Rooster

My first day in Thailand........over 13 yrs ago........I was warned.

NEVER Talk about the Royal Family and especially the King, even if it is an innocent complimentary joke and certainly not ever in a bad way.

NEVER insult a Thai.......them losing face can get you hurt or shot.

NEVER engage in road rage here........many have a gun in the car or they will go home and get one.

And.....never take 2 girls from the same bar.......lolol

In 13 yrs, I have never had a problem with any Thai for any reason.

Like almost anywhere else in the world you go........if you mind your own business and be respectful, you will not have any problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Sunday mornings.... I've started checking the clock to see if Thaivisa has arrived in my email inbox.

Well done Rooster.

You are most welcome. And please stay tuned not just on Sundays. There are many terrific stories from the Thai press translated on Thaivisa every day. I play my part in this in an effort to bring not just the content of the Thai news to the English speaking world but in trying to instill more flavor and understanding of what makes Thai people tick. 

The editorial team at TV are pleased to be offering an increasingly professional as well as entertaining platform for the news. 

Rooster

• Like 2

The only swear word I know besides, son teen vervus son tao, is real stupid buffalo, I called a German tourist that who cut in front of me at a grocery mart. The Thais looked at me and I asked the German if he understood, of course not. so the Thai, said, you stupid! The German guys wife said that she agreed, and we all had a chuckle.   Good read Rooster, glad you still have some humour.

Geezer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orang37 said:

Great read ! imho, expats living here who know the swear words (particularly the "depersonalizing pronouns") should never use them ... unless you like violence, and/or have a death wish.

Being aware of their use by Thais ... who are unaware you understand them ... can be useful, but difficult to interpret in context.

~o:37;

Generally, as my column this week stated, I have to agree with you. There is very little worse than people who can converse in a few sentences thinking they can make the leap to using swear words. It is hard enough for a native speaker let alone a second language learner. 

Knowing the words is an entirely different matter, as you rightly intimate. They can be great indicators of when things are on the verge of or have indeed snapped. 

I am admittedly fascinated by the subject, especially how foul language and swearing is used for comic effect. Thai cabaret and some movies are good learning grounds for that. But I would stress that even for comic effect a foreigner has to be well extremely versed in the words, tones, senses (and consequences!!) in order to pull it off. I have triumphed and failed miserably at both in my time!

Rooster

5 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

The only swear word I know besides, son teen vervus son tao, is real stupid buffalo, I called a German tourist that who cut in front of me at a grocery mart. The Thais looked at me and I asked the German if he understood, of course not. so the Thai, said, you stupid! The German guys wife said that she agreed, and we all had a chuckle.   Good read Rooster, glad you still have some humour.

Geezer

Cheers. There was a English language song always playing in the discos in the 1980s (when I was invariably treading the boards) to which all those Thais present would sing the Thai chorus as it sounded to them:

Ai hia ai naa ai sat son teen

What was the track?, I forget.

Rooster