Good value printer

wreckingcountry

For B&W go for a laser. They print first time, every time, even after a long rest and (should) be rather cheaper to run than an inkjet printer.

What sort of throughput (prints per month) are you looking at?

In Australia, I use a Brother B/W laser printer because I can get replacement toner (not made by Brother) for a fraction of the price of the genuine Brother product.  Not sure if that's easy to do in Thailand or not. 

Agree with the previous poster's comments re laser vs inkjet. 

As long as you don't want other functions such as scanning and photocopying, a Brother HL - 1110 laser printer will churn out far cheaper prints. The cartridges are expensive; however, you get much more prints than any inkjet on the market.

Caveat: Brother is difficult to install with OS such as Linux or Ubuntu.

45 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Brother HL 1110 looks good value ! Uses a toner! Do these toners come with ink loaded and can be filled up again?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Don't know, try the Brother website. i have yet to exhaust my first cartridge after 2 years.

2 hours ago, dundas said:

I can get replacement toner (not made by Brother) for a fraction of the price of the genuine Brother product.  Not sure if that's easy to do in Thailand or not. 

I have a Brother B/W laser.

The original toner cartridge off factory could not be refilled so I had to buy a new one.

But from then it could be refilled cheaply.

And it lasts forever for my small print volume.

From time to time I have to clean the fuser roller where toner can burn in.

Granddaughter has an ink-jet thing.

Either terrible mess with refill or eating up money for cartridges.

The usual marketing concept.

I have a hp 125 lazer - all in one and the best printer I have ever owned.  4 boxes of paper (2000 sheets) and still printing on the same cart it came with - I keep thinking it will never run out, but they did say 2500 so it must be true.  Way better and cheaper then any ink jet.  The cart will last longer then an ink jet printer does with less hassle and cost less if you properly refill it - they have kits for DIY refills that make it cheaper then ink.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As long as you don't want other functions such as scanning and photocopying, a Brother HL - 1110 laser printer will churn out far cheaper prints. The cartridges are expensive; however, you get much more prints than any inkjet on the market.

Caveat: Brother is difficult to install with OS such as Linux or Ubuntu.

I have got one of those. Purchased it in PowerBuy who also stock the cartridges. It doesn't work with the Chromebook so keep an old Windows machine just for the printing. 

11 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

2-300 a month

At that level the cheapest of the cheap will do the job just fine. 

At under 2,000 Baht the Brother HL-1110 seems good value (others have mentioned it too), the replacement cartridge is 1,200 Baht or so and is fairly easily refillable.

For an extra 1,000 Baht you can get a Samsung SL-M2020 which does duplex printing (both sides of the paper), replacement cartridge is slightly more expensive at 1,700 Baht, it is refillable but rather more involved (needs a hole making) than the Brother. I have the earlier version of this printer, still going strong after 7 years or so (it's now my backup so it doesn't get a hammering).

By the way, the "1000" sheets capacity of these cartridges does seem to be rather conservative (they print more).

12 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Brother HL 1110 looks good value ! Uses a toner! Do these toners come with ink loaded and can be filled up again?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

There is no inkt in toners its a powder these are laser printers not inkjet printers. I prefer laser especially if its just black and white. Far less problems.

Yes, for B&W printing a laser printer works out cheaper but there isnt much in it nowadays, especially in Thailand were they sell modified inkjets with extra tanks etc. 

If you are not buying name brand replacement cartridges, inkjet can be 5c a sheet, around the same cost as laser.

Inkjet printers are very cheap to buy, usually come with scanner, copy, maybe even a fax. AND, you always have the option to print colour.

I have an inkjet with extra tanks, purchased 3 years ago for 2,500 baht, the ink is still half full. the replacement ink is cheap because its not in a name cartridge.

Image result for inkjet tanks modifiedImage result for inkjet ink refill

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

I have got one of those. Purchased it in PowerBuy who also stock the cartridges. It doesn't work with the Chromebook so keep an old Windows machine just for the printing. 

Difficult but not impossible. My son has a sideline of building computers to order for gamers. He was able to get the Brother to work with Linux, but if you are a dinosaur like me - no chance.

A bit surprised it won't work with the Chromebook. What's the OS?

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Difficult but not impossible. My son has a sideline of building computers to order for gamers. He was able to get the Brother to work with Linux, but if you are a dinosaur like me - no chance.

A bit surprised it won't work with the Chromebook. What's the OS?

The OS is Chrome. Needs a cloud printer.

At that level the cheapest of the cheap will do the job just fine. 

At under 2,000 Baht the Brother HL-1110 seems good value (others have mentioned it too), the replacement cartridge is 1,200 Baht or so and is fairly easily refillable.

For an extra 1,000 Baht you can get a Samsung SL-M2020 which does duplex printing (both sides of the paper), replacement cartridge is slightly more expensive at 1,700 Baht, it is refillable but rather more involved (needs a hole making) than the Brother. I have the earlier version of this printer, still going strong after 7 years or so (it's now my backup so it doesn't get a hammering).

By the way, the "1000" sheets capacity of these cartridges does seem to be rather conservative (they print more).

1200baht replacement cartridge ? That expensive ! I see the toner is 350 baht on lazada for Brother HL 1110

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

24 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

1200baht replacement cartridge ? That expensive ! I see the toner is 350 baht on lazada for Brother HL 1110

Yeah, original cartridge from a big-box seller, not going to be cheap.

Is the Lazada job toner only (refill) or a complete cartridge?

58 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, for B&W printing a laser printer works out cheaper but there isnt much in it nowadays, especially in Thailand were they sell modified inkjets with extra tanks etc. 

If you are not buying name brand replacement cartridges, inkjet can be 5c a sheet, around the same cost as laser.

Inkjet printers are very cheap to buy, usually come with scanner, copy, maybe even a fax. AND, you always have the option to print colour.

I have an inkjet with extra tanks, purchased 3 years ago for 2,500 baht, the ink is still half full. the replacement ink is cheap because its not in a name cartridge.

Image result for inkjet tanks modifiedImage result for inkjet ink refill

Hi Peter,  I'm looking to buy a printer to make up a photo album with color pics from the PC and mobile.

This printer looks suitable for that ..... 

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

But don't let the paper get wet as the print bleeds.

I have just bought a Canon LBP6030w for 3100 baht. The w stands for wireless and I think it is worth the extra cost. One negative with the printer is that there is no dust cover on the paper feeder.

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

One negative with the printer is that there is no dust cover on the paper feeder.

Madam made me some dust covers for the printers using material left over from the lounge curtains.

22 hours ago, Crossy said:

Madam made me some dust covers for the printers using material left over from the lounge curtains.

I still had an old one from the last printer, not correct size but close enough, but it is pretty weak not having a cover for the paper.

Archived