BANGKOK 23 March 2019 11:18
thaicurious

Being gay is not a lifestyle

I agree 100 percent.

It's an awful, dated, insulting, and ignorant name.

I brought up the same issue many years ago. 

For many years "lifestyle" in this context has NOT been used by gay people.

It is used by clueless straight people, in a similar way that clueless Americans still use the word Oriental to describe Asian people. 

A change was rejected. The reason was search engine indexing if I recall correctly. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

No. You are wrong. It's dated and offensive and the issue to change it was brought up before and not granted. 

I stand corrected. No harm intended.

Just now, rhodie said:

I stand corrected. No harm intended.

No problem. 

I accepted the decision before but really the name is seriously stupid. It would be similar to a subforum being called for Colored people or something like that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

No problem. 

I accepted the decision before but really the name is seriously stupid. It would be similar to a subforum being called for Colored people or something like that. 

I was seriously just about to type that example.

• Thanks 1

I am not particularly fussed one way or the other.   Perhaps the forum should be expanded to LBGTQ issues?   Just a thought.  

Prior to changing it, I'd like to see a reasonable consensus.

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

I think the OP has made a very good point. Times change, along with what is acceptable and what is not.

I think it is really important for the forum to reflect the here and now.  Without that, all we would be is history.

I would like to think the issue can be revisited by the forum administrators once more. I will make a point of notifying the higher echelons.

Thank you, That was kind. Updating forum vocabulary on this now would be timely as this is the 50-year anniversary of Stonewall.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I am not particularly fussed one way or the other.   Perhaps the forum should be expanded to LBGTQ issues?   Just a thought.  

You bring up a good though maybe a sticky point. Some don't like the Q which they find demeaning while others insist on "owning" the word, thus taking its power. Also I heard some try to bump the T. Not that the T is an orientation, but more a gender issue. But given even that, there are str8 men oriented towards being attracted to T so it is not altogether sans orientation. Plus trans people stood with gay people at Stonewall.

For me, I'd be fine with simply no subtitle. Then we'll just be inconsistent instead of alternative.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

I've been educating myself on initialisms. I didn't know about LGBTQ+ or LGBTQQIP2SAA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Troll posts removed.   Try some off-topic commentary again and suspensions will be issued.

I agree the description is dated and some of us who are gay (and born that way) find it a bit condescending...

And not to vent (as men on this forum don’t vent) you “boys” at ThaiVisa should take a look at other descriptions...

C259C3A7-F2A8-483C-81AC-B1131153003B.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1