Being gay is not a lifestyle

thaicurious

25 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Tolerance sounds reasonable to me, if my son came out as homosexual I wouldn't dance around and be pleased about it, I would have to tolerate it.

I’m glad you’re not my father...

And if your son turns out to be gay he will most likely feel the same.. :coffee1:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You overrate yourself, so you're offended, big deal, we all get offended about something somewhere, snowflakes abound these days. I for instance dislike the word gay, it has taken a useful word out of general use, wow, maybe I should complain.

Who are you going to complain to? The English language evolution God?

Calling people snowflakes is a pure troll move.

Tolerance sounds reasonable to me, if my son came out as homosexual I wouldn't dance around and be pleased about it, I would have to tolerate it.

No.

Tolerance is not good enough.

But if that's as far as you can go, that's about your personal shortcomings.

I for instance dislike the word gay, it has taken a useful word out of general use, wow, maybe I should complain.

Right, like how because of black people now you can't say anything is _____ & white.

Soalbundy feels pretty
Oh, so pretty
He feel pretty, and witty and GAY
And he pities
Any girl who isn’t him today

Meanwhile...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

"The term's use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the mid-20th century"

https://www.etymonline.com/word/gay

"The word gay by the 1890s had an overall tinge of promiscuity -- a gay house was a brothel. The suggestion of immorality in the word can be traced back at least to the 1630s, if not to Chaucer:

But in oure bed he was so fressh and gay

Whan that he wolde han my bele chose.

Slang meaning "homosexual" (adj.) begins to appear in psychological writing late 1940s, evidently picked up from gay slang"

Oh, so referring to sexuality since at least the 1630s. A mere 389 years ago. Seems like yesterday. How much more time do you need to get used to it?

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

Tolerance is not good enough.

But if that's as far as you can go, that's about your personal shortcomings.

Yes and no. I could argue that either way. Because someone might accept a thing for not such a great reason while someone else might tolerate for a good reason.

Someone might not be comfortable with their own sexuality. They might think, for instance, that going down on a chick is disgusting, or irreligious, but they get off on it. So they might not fully accept themselves yet they find a way to tolerate that in themselves enough to not drive themselves crazy as they find a way to tolerate peculiarities of others. There toleration of someone else doesn't sound so terrible.

On the other end of that warped scale, someone might be accepting of their own perversions. Maybe they like to do disgusting things to others or have others do to them. So they might accept your sexuality as a way of accepting their own and then the acceptance itself maybe becomes a little disgusting.

So you'd have to know what's in the other guys head to know where he might be coming from. And you might not want to be there. Sometimes, even if not often, taking a thing at face value is just fine.

36 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I will speak truthfully and honestly to you now...… your post is patronising and you come across and smug and condescending.  

Who are you to judge what is useful and beneficial speech?  

Know that Buddhists followers should strive to be free from sexual immorality, and many consider gay sex is not sexual moral behaviour.  [...]

You are contradicting yourself. Free from sexual immorality means not judging - so that would mean any sex is immoral, or none is. Considering only gay sex immoral is a Christianity-inspired judgement and is not supported by Buddhist teaching.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:54 AM, spidermike007 said:

The only people who think being gay is a choice and a lifestyle, are Mike Pence, most of the Christian conservatives in the US, and other "religious" people who have been indoctrinated, and homophobes, who are very ignorant about these issues, fearful of someone who is not like them, and are drinking the kool aid. Being gay is something people just are. And they deserve the right to be able to live their lives, just the same as the rest of us. There are millions of amazing gay people in this world. And there is nothing special about being straight. Nothing that makes us any better than gay men or lesbian women. Tolerance is a beautiful thing. Just think of all the wars that could have been avoided if mankind was more tolerant, and compassionate. 

You mean...

ARMY_1.JPG

23 hours ago, thaicurious said:

Often true but not exclusively inclusive as some bisexuals who haven't yet come to terms with their own sexuality be that by internalized homophobia or whatever lack of understanding-- maybe even feeling attractions wax and wane--that therefore they might think there's some choice involved as to their current associations. Of course, where they've no choice is that they are attracted to variety of whatever their mix might be. Some before coming to terms with their own sexuality assert choice for everyone, gay, str8, chickens, crabs, all the alternatives.

You can easily spot them in restaurants reading off of other people's menus.

But, those men are not gay. They are what is referred to as pansexual. They go with whatever appeals to them at the moment. Calling them hedonists, would be more accurate than gay. Gay men are rarely attracted to women. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

An utterly silly, ridiculous, and inane statement. One that reeks of intolerance, and moral judgment. Are you a bible thumper, by any chance? Holier than thou?

Troll more like. 

Imagine if a perverted misogynist starting posting hate speech on the women's subforum. 

Yet these anti-gay trolls think it's open season, anywhere, anytime on LGBT people.

We're not quite "mainstream" as all that if anti-gay trolls still think the crapola they post is still cool and acceptable. 

5 hours ago, onthemoon said:

You are contradicting yourself. Free from sexual immorality means not judging - so that would mean any sex is immoral, or none is. Considering only gay sex immoral is a Christianity-inspired judgement and is not supported by Buddhist teaching.

No I am not.

Free from sexual immorality = don't do sexually immoral things, like rape people, have sex with children, cheat, avoid promiscuity, only have sex in loving relationship with one partner, don't have sex outside in full view of other people, etc.  

Any sex is immoral, or none is???  What?   Sorry I don't think you are making sense.  Perhaps it is a language barrier.  

Gay sex is not immoral in Christianity.  This shows your total ignorance of the subject, both about gay people and other religions.  Also shows you have misguided understanding about your own religion by the tone of you replies to me.  

Keep all religion out of this topic, Christian, Buddhist or whatever.  

I stand by my first post where I told the OP that the forum heading was NOT homophobic or discriminating hate speech about gays, its a simple mistake at worst.  OPs long post about it, and how clearly they were upset and affected by a heading on a forum is not a normal reaction and is being overly sensitive.

Nothing to do with your Buddhist teaching, living as guests in Thailand, or your judgment about Christian religion or Expats morals.

Troll, homophobic posts and replies removed along with replies.   Warnings and suspensions have not been given, but henceforth they will.   It is the gay forum.   It is for and about gay-related issues.  

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But, those men are not gay. They are what is referred to as pansexual. They go with whatever appeals to them at the moment. Calling them hedonists, would be more accurate than gay. Gay men are rarely attracted to women. 

My understanding of the terms is that gay is attracted to same sex, str8 is attracted to opposite sex, bi is attracted to both same & opposite, pan is attracted to people regardless of gender, gender identity or orientation. So pan (aka omni) might include also gamp (aka gynandromorphophilia--which presents as an aspect of str8 sexuality not of gay--or the attraction to "ladyboys") if also attracted to gay and to str8 and to bi.

It isn't that they are hedonistic, but that they are more likely to have more date options for a Saturday night. Hedonism is not at all dependent upon orientation but upon factors like sex drive, inhibitions, personal judgments, social conditioning, peer pressures, etc.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:28 PM, sfokevin said:

I’ve had sex with many heterosexual guys...

And based on this thread alone a lot of heterosexuals seem keen on perusing this forum...

Like most people, I tend to mostly ignore issues that aren't 'personal' - whilst always knowing that gays had a tough time, and feeling sorry for them insofar as it comes to the 'haters' who give them such a tough time.

Recently I came to know a gay couple as good friends, and so came to realise how diverse they can be.  Personality-wise, they are almost complete opposites, whilst sharing the same underlying beliefs and values. We all had to laugh when the quiet, 'conservative' partner said how he shouldn't be allowed to be gay, as he is the complete opposite to the stereotypical 'gay'  (something along these lines, but he phrased it far better)!

As a result of loving these guys so much, I'm now far more interested in gay issues.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

We all had to laugh when the quiet, 'conservative' partner said how he shouldn't be allowed to be gay, as he is the complete opposite to the stereotypical 'gay'  (something along these lines, but he phrased it far better)!

On 2/25/2019 at 11:10 AM, thaicurious said:

Right, like how because of black people now you can't say anything is _____ & white.

Soalbundy feels pretty
Oh, so pretty
He feel pretty, and witty and GAY
And he pities
Any girl who isn’t him today

Meanwhile...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay

"The term's use as a reference to homosexuality may date as early as the late 19th century, but its use gradually increased in the mid-20th century"

https://www.etymonline.com/word/gay

"The word gay by the 1890s had an overall tinge of promiscuity -- a gay house was a brothel. The suggestion of immorality in the word can be traced back at least to the 1630s, if not to Chaucer:

But in oure bed he was so fressh and gay

Whan that he wolde han my bele chose.

Slang meaning "homosexual" (adj.) begins to appear in psychological writing late 1940s, evidently picked up from gay slang"

Oh, so referring to sexuality since at least the 1630s. A mere 389 years ago. Seems like yesterday. How much more time do you need to get used to it?

What a gay day. I don't want to get used to it.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

You don't do discretion do you.

"Some liberals say that it's okay for people to be queer
As long as they don't "flaunt" it, but it seems to me my dear
That we've seen straight folks flaunt their sexuality for years
Sounds suspiciously like homophobia to me"

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, soalbundy said:

So you would not accept him unconditionally ??

Archived