Israeli tourist seriously injured in speedboat, jet ski collision off Khai Nok

rooster59

Israeli tourist seriously injured in speedboat, jet ski collision off Khai Nok

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1550901371_1.jpg

A jet ski collided with a speedboat off Khai Nok Island last Thursday (Feb 21) leaving one tourist seriously injuried. Photo: Koh Yao Police

PHUKET: An Israeli man sustained serious injuries when the jet ski he was riding with a friend crashed into a speedboat off Khai Nok Island last Thursday (Feb 21).

At 17.15pm yesterday (Feb 22), Phang Nga Immigration Bureau notified the Tourist Assistance Centre (TAC) that a tourist from Israel sustained serious injuries to his head as a result of a marine accident.

The accident itself occured one day before off Khai Nok Island in Phang Nga province.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/israeli-tourist-seriously-injured-in-speedboat-jet-ski-collision-off-khai-nok-70491.php#MIqIQF0jhjHPC69J.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-24

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Absence of laws and definitely no enforcement.  What's new?

True but IMHO what's also a serious problem is the lack of communication, many many Thais have zero knowledge of the laws about pretty much every subject.

The classic of all time - my Thai adult son, well educated, trying to convince his old aunt totally uninformed no education, that she has to stop at red lights, it's the law.

Her response 'Your wrong, there are no laws about driving because it's up to me'.

2 minutes ago, neeray said:

Amazing. This thread is still quite fresh, but nobody has brought up "brake failure" yet.

Still quite early , but no ones mentioned a "500 Baht fine and a Wai" yet and its not been suggested that the Israeli was wearing a MIGA red hat 

Almost everyplace in the world that has jet skis has an accident now and then. You get people that don’t understand to be alert 

and use caution when your turning etc, 

Spunds like the jet ski cut into the path on the speedboat. Looking up close at the jet ski it didn’t have a lot of damage that I can see.

the runner on the bottom don’t see other damage.

Possible the speedboat didn’t feel it hit the jet ski. Speedboat was probably running fairly fast. 

3 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day." - Quote Investigator

my friend and neighbor can vouch for something similar. he has been there done that and his comment was..... a small "scratch" at the sea can ruin your entire life....he's paralyzed from waist down

The boat probably could have avoided the collision as boat captains should always be aware of any vessels nearby or on their course. The fact that the boat fled the scene (just like a truck driver) speaks volumes. As a longtime boater myself I would particularly stay away from jet skis.

10 hours ago, xtof2 said:

So, he crashed into the speedboat... and the speedboat fled the scene.

Thai BS as usual.

i guess they will also try to fine him for the damages.

I wish him a speed recovery.

Exactly - and an important point as who crashed into who will set the base for the informal conclusion of guilt ...

Let us go back and see what was written: An Israeli man sustained serious injuries "when the jet ski he was riding with a friend crashed into a speedboat" 

When the time was about to run out a rental shop staffer told the tourists to come back so Mr Yeruham began turning towards the shore. During the maneuver the jet ski hit a passing speedboat named in the report as Tiger Marine 9.

(1) The jetski driver made a turn and this maneuver force you to slow down

(2) From the Picture the jetski has a damage on the side removing the seat meaning he was hit and not the other way around as the jetski dont move sideways. Also bigger vessels are obligated to give way for smaller vessels.

When it comes to get the damage covered its not difficult to understand who will be targeted when the  jetski operator must choose between the foreigner and a fellow countryman that have fled the scene … 

To flee the scene and not give aid is a crime itself on the top of hitting someone and the reason to flee the scene is obviously due to one or several illegalities such as not holding a valid captain licence, not having a valid tour operator licence for the boat etc - but who cares as long as the foreigner will be forced to cover the damages - unfortunately as in the most cases - guilty or not ... 

29 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Captains ? It was a speedboat not the QE2 !

To drive a speedboat in Thailand, you must have a Helmsman Level 2 license issued by the Marine Office. To be issued a Helmsman Level 2 license you must pass a written test of 40 questions and pass an oral exam of five questions to prove that you understand boat operating regulations in Thailand. A copy of these regulations is available in Thai only at the Phuket Marine Office. However, the written and oral tests can be taken in Thai or English. When applying, you will need to bring to the Phuket Marine Office: • Three two-inch photos • Either your passport or your Thai ID card. If you are a foreigner, you must also bring a letter from a consulate or embassy of your home country verifying that the passport is genuine, accurate and valid. • If you are a foreigner, you must bring a letter issued by an Immigration Office confirming your address in Thailand. This letter must also be verified by a consulate or embassy of your home country. Thais must produce their house registration paper. • A medical certificate verifying that your are fit to drive a boat. • Proof that you have at least two years’ experience in basic seamanship. This requires a signed and dated letter from the owner of a boat that you have learned on. It is not neccessary to have learned on a Thai-registered boat, but the boat must have been registered somewhere for at least two years. You will need to bring a copy of the boat’s registration, signed and dated by the owner of the boat, as well as a signed and dated copy of his or her passport or Thai ID card. Please note that while Marine Office regulations do not stipulate what type or size of vessels are appropriate for you to have gained experience on, these factors will be considered in the decision whether to issue you a license. You will also need to bring one copy of all documents submitted with your application.

Kittipong Wasukri, Officer, Phuket Marine Office.

45 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Rented dozens of them no problem whatsoever - but then I don’t believe everything I read. 

Maybe I’m just lucky ????

You have for sure been Lucky:

https://www.thephuketnews.com/tough-rules-launch-for-jet-skis-in-phuket-55875.php

And based on that reality:

https://www.tatnews.org/2016/06/marine-safety-measures-and-regulations-in-thailand/

Was there a braking problem here?  Did you see the Israeli, he was wearing a MIGA red hat? What's that about?  Will there be a 500 Baht fine and a Wai?   Now it is all said now everyone can get back to business.  I wish the man good luck on a expeditious recovery.

Archived