Attention all Aussies - vegemite

Lacessit

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

To be honest, Marmite, as well as its cruder, less refined version, Vegemite, is an excellent way to accentuate the flavour of other ingredients in a good sarnie, while at the same time masking the inherent disgustingness of both products which are favoured only on this earth by the inbred residents of a two bit Island and their degenerate, convict offspring.

One takes two thick slices of a fresh pumpernickel. Spread a thin layer of the disgusting yeast stuff on one piece of bread, spread a bit of Russian Dressing on the other. Place thinly sliced rare roast beef, thinly sliced sharp cheddar, thin sliced Tomato and some onion and sprouts. Assemble and serve.

Love Oz, got the passport, got as far as enjoying a day at the cricket, even though many impenetrable subtleties remain, but haven't manage to get a taste for the epitome of culinary culture..

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'll be there within the hour.

I was brought up in OZ on Vegemite on toast, my sadly departed Thai wife developed a solid taste for it when she was studying in OZ, our Thai son loved it from a toddler, and his three Thai kids are all total believers, included in their breakfast probably 4 days a week and their choice for a snack.  Son's wife not yet a convert but her elderly mother; salt of the earth old style up country Thai farmer also loves Vege on toast, she demands it when she visits. 

My wife and I have Marmite on toast for breakfast most days. Apart from the culinary advantages it also wards off mossies.

Many years ago, back in the UK, an Australian friend would always insist on Vegemite rather than the more available Marmite. One morning we were in his apartment and decided to have a taste challenge. His girlfriend prepared 2 plates of toast, one with Marmite the other with Vegemite. All four of us preferred the Marmite. My Aussie friend, of course, insisted that his girlfriend had got the plates mixed up.

Marmite has a stronger flavour, more umami. 

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Try plain burnt toast, has to taste better without the disgusting additional spreads! :laugh:

I know, right?...or even dark brown toast with a schmear of garlic cheese and a slice of smoked salmon? Naw, lets celebrate a spread made out of the same stuff that infects female gentalia. 

Barbarians. No wonder their "Commonwealth" is an anachronistic irrelevance.

1 minute ago, Nyezhov said:

I know, right?...or even dark brown toast with a schmear of garlic cheese and a slice of smoked salmon? Naw, lets celebrate a spread made out of the same stuff that infects female gentalia. 

We gave them every opportunity to form decent eating habits - look what they did! no wonder we banished them .....................:shock1:

Vegemite is one of things, that one equates with - "more is less"

- in that it's best served as the smallest dob, instead of a massive Dollop

another method to aid those finding the big V unpalatable - is to add maybe half a Teaspoon of Honey to the vegemite

The honey mellows out the sharpness of vegemite

The Vegemite mellows out the sweetness of the honey; and also magically makes the honey itself easier to spread...

1 hour ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:
What is the expiry date on the jars?

Vegemite can only have more intensity if several years past due by

When I buy  a new jar, I take the lid off and leave the jar out in the sunshine for about a month. Talk about enhancing the taste.

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Marmite is an acquired taste, only for the discerning, same as Thrush. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Barbarians? That's coming from a nation that threw our best Darjeeling into the sea. Think yourself lucky we didn't send our Zulus over to sort you out.

To be honest, Marmite, as well as its cruder, less refined version, Vegemite, is an excellent way to accentuate the flavour of other ingredients in a good sarnie, while at the same time masking the inherent disgustingness of both products which are favoured only on this earth by the inbred residents of a two bit Island and their degenerate, convict offspring.

One takes two thick slices of a fresh pumpernickel. Spread a thin layer of the disgusting yeast stuff on one piece of bread, spread a bit of Russian Dressing on the other. Place thinly sliced rare roast beef, thinly sliced sharp cheddar, thin sliced Tomato and some onion and sprouts. Assemble and serve.

The inbred degeneratives were english.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

and your point is? It's making my mouth water just reading your post. 

That there's a secret government agency in the UK that goes around to all the maternity wards and removes the taste buds of Brits shortly after birth.

11 minutes ago, indepth said:

When I buy  a new jar, I take the lid off and leave the jar out in the sunshine for about a month. Talk about enhancing the taste.

Believe it or not, there is an organism in my GF's village that actually grows on Vegemite. i'm wondering if I have inadvertently discovered a new antibiotic. Meantime, I only use the tubes there. For all I know, said organism could also become part of the KGB arsenal.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That there's a secret government agency in the UK that goes around to all the maternity wards and removes the taste buds of Brits shortly after birth.

Wheras in Australia they throw the babies away and keep the afterbirth.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Believe it or not, there is an organism in my GF's village that actually grows on Vegemite. i'm wondering if I have inadvertently discovered a new antibiotic. Meantime, I only use the tubes there. For all I know, said organism could also become part of the KGB arsenal.

Whenever I visit the UK, I bring back several large jars of Marmite. In the UK, I keep it in a cupboard. First time I brought it to Thailand I did the same until a brand new, unopened jar exploded in the cupboard. I now keep it in the fridge.

28 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

21 minutes ago, indepth said:

If you knew anything about Vegemite you would know that leaving the lid of for prolonged periods will get it to set like cement.

No, the original story was about Albania, they thought that changing it to the USA and using Ned Beatty instead of a goat would make it more unrealistic and dream like.

Well those of us with Eastern European ancestry can appreciate a fine brown or black bread, especially here in Thailand, where knowledge of Eastern European cuisine makes excellent conversation ice breakers when talking to Ukrainian girls at Mixx....one just doesnt want to walk up and say, Hi, how much for ST?

Ukrainian girls? You mean the ones with enough armpit hair to stuff a pillow? And you have the gall to call Aussies degenerates?

52 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My wife and I have Marmite on toast for breakfast most days. Apart from the culinary advantages it also wards off mossies.

Many years ago, back in the UK, an Australian friend would always insist on Vegemite rather than the more available Marmite. One morning we were in his apartment and decided to have a taste challenge. His girlfriend prepared 2 plates of toast, one with Marmite the other with Vegemite. All four of us preferred the Marmite. My Aussie friend, of course, insisted that his girlfriend had got the plates mixed up.

Marmite has a stronger flavour, more umami. 

Naah, vegemite the best every time.

Also great as a flavor booster in soups. 

My old mum always put a level teaspoon in the gravy for the roast dinner.

23 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Congratulations, you're front runner for Charming Post of the week.

Did have a pretty good spew factor on the screen....but hey Im just baking and cackling anyway.....

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Many things / food stuffs will go hard when open to air for long period. 

a glass of water turns into hard glass ???? 

back in military days; my Corporal went on Leave... 3months.

When he returned, he's yelling "where's my Irish Coffee Mug, you 'oribble little men'

Before he left, he'd been at the workbench, and his mug soon found it's way to go behind and sit amongst an array of hot humming Signal Generators.

3 months later; the mug is not empty, but it is not wet

- It was almost full! - of something that resembled an off coloured chunk of coral

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Naah, vegemite the best every time.

Also great as a flavor booster in soups. 

My old mum always put a level teaspoon in the gravy for the roast dinner.

Well thats fine, I agree as its use as a flavour booster, viz my post prior, but one doesnt eat sauces or ingredients do they? Its not like on a menu, Spoonful of Ketchup, Soy Sauce Stew, Bowl of Sugar.....

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ukrainian girls? You mean the ones with enough armpit hair to stuff a pillow? And you have the gall to call Aussies degenerates?

Now you are grasping at straws. Ukrainian women are number 1 in the world

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Now there I can't help you. I'm a Yorkshire man , so the goings on across the far west of the UK are of no interest to me.

The War of the Roses isn't over yet, just suspended for a while.  

Even the ISIS bride decided to stay in Syria after being offered a council house in Lancashire.

The war of the Roses does indeed continue, every day.

Well thats fine, I agree as its use as a flavour booster, viz my post prior, but one doesnt eat sauces or ingredients do they? Its not like on a menu, Spoonful of Ketchup, Soy Sauce Stew, Bowl of Sugar.....

But it's not intended, primarily, to be a flavor booster etc., but it is useful for that purpose.

'One does not eat sauces'.  Well horses for courses. Many a time my dad made quick snack for all of us, chunks of home made bread covered with the copious amounts of reheated gravy my mum always made.

Further. many times she would put perhaps 3 or 4 full cups of fresh gravy into a taller pot, add lots of fresh / diced vegetables, some water, additional salt and pepper, lots of parsley and probably a small amount of Vegemite, a wonderful soup. 

A bit of the topic, my parents were kids during the great depression and saw their parents struggling to get healthy food / any food, on the table. They learned how to makes things go further; half a new big bottle of tomato sauce (ketchup) split to 2 big bottles and topped up with mild cold tea, shake it well several times, it works.

Archived