Attention all Aussies - vegemite

Lacessit

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

That there's a secret government agency in the UK that goes around to all the maternity wards and removes the taste buds of Brits shortly after birth.

But that's criminal !  Best to deport them from the UK to somewhere remote, now where shall we send them?  Ah yes ! 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Funny how Aussies bristle their patriotic feathers at the mere mention of vegemite.

It is produced by an American company.

Nearly as dumb as the Americans who think that pizza was invented in New York.

Not quite true, It was 'invented' made and marketed by an OZ company for decades, then they sold out to a US giant, but a couple of years back some of their products were sold back to OZ companies.

59 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, I've changed to Vegimite, it's cheaper and the Marmite sold here tastes wrong.

That's because Marmite has inferior keeping qualities, presumably like British women. Vegemite is a fortress of retained flavour, proof against anything transport companies can throw at it.

Nearly forgot - British women are more expensive too?

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Not quite true, It was 'invented' made and marketed by an OZ company for decades, then they sold out to a US giant, but a couple of years back some of their products were sold back to OZ companies.

Marmite was invented long before Vegemite and first marketed by a British company, as it still is.

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

what,  Pizzas? ????

12 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

what,  Pizzas? ????

No of course not. The thread is about Vegemite.

We have family pizza at home next week, want some?

A few months back my MBA students in Hanoi had a final exam party at a big Pizza joint, great pizza, the head chef is Italian, big menu, plus some local inventions; apple and banana and condensed milk, some with chocolate drizzled over the food / fruit. Not traditional but quite nice. 

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Marmite was invented long before Vegemite and first marketed by a British company, as it still is.

The Mini was invented long before a Honda Civic. Guess which car has more market share now?

35 minutes ago, scorecard said:

We have both.

My Thai son has a buddy who also does pizza at home with his family in Chiang Mai. He buys cans of pizza base sauce then adds a generous amount of oyster sauce. He and his family like it, i guess that's all that matters.

3 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Bit of a long drive from Bangkok to get this offer, ????

There is a sai ua ( Northern Thai herbal sausage ) shop near the Clock Tower in Chiang Rai. People drive up from Bangkok to stock up on kilos of it. I guess it keeps as well as Vegemite.

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Mini was invented long before a Honda Civic. Guess which car has more market share now?

The Mini is no longer manufactured in the UK. The Honda Civic is.

Are you saying that Vegemite has a bigger market share than Marmite? I don't think so.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is a sai ua ( Northern Thai herbal sausage ) shop near the Clock Tower in Chiang Rai. People drive up from Bangkok to stock up on kilos of it. I guess it keeps as well as Vegemite.

Guess I'm in the wrong business. Wow.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

The Mini is no longer manufactured in the UK. The Honda Civic is.

Are you saying that Vegemite has a bigger market share than Marmite? I don't think so.

I was just making the point antiquity does not confer the cachet of superior quality. AFAIK the Chinese now manufacture the Mini, and its reputation has plummeted.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Ukrainian girls? You mean the ones with enough armpit hair to stuff a pillow? And you have the gall to call Aussies degenerates?

You better learn to stay away from the Thermae.   I majored in S.E.Aian. but did a part time degree in Ukrainians.   They don't all work in tractor factories you may be surprised to know.  Some real honeys among them.  Even Vladivostok in Russian Primorski territory is an eye opener for talent and eye candy. "If ya got it flaunt it when the weather is warm" is the rule there.  Kornikova was just an average looking Russian girl by my experiences.  But having said that, the Ukraine purser on one Cambodian President Airways 737 PP to SR flight some years ago did seriously frighten me.  I swear she had Russian tractor names tattooed on her biceps.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

at last the sai ua is made from meat, mystery as it may be, viz a viz fermented, salted, used up and preserved fungi corpses. Yep. Dead "organisms". Like stuff you scrape off between your toes after three days in wet Danners out in Alaska. Toss that in a jar.

Like I said, you want to add it to foods for Umami, go for it, but standing there with a jar eating spoonfuls of it gurgling with repressed Anglo Saxon stiff upper lip glee or boisterous intoxicated psychopathology is a bit much.....and damn look at those brown stains, looks like ya got a mouthful of.....

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps people are better at seeing connections to the topic now.

The quality of the subject matter causes folks to hone in like laser beamss on the wisdom

1 minute ago, The Deerhunter said:

You better learn to stay away from the Thermae.   I majored in S.E.Aian. but did a part time degree in Ukrainians.   They don't all work in tractor factories you may be surprised to know.  But having said that, the Ukraine purser on one Cambodian President Airways 737 PP to SR flight some years ago did seriously frighten me.

Dude I have ridden all the Asian ponies I care to for a while, with the inflated prices in Bangkok, might as well rent those fine Uke models, cheaper here than even at an FKK

3 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

at last the sai ua is made from meat, mystery as it may be, viz a viz fermented, salted, used up and preserved fungi corpses. Yep. Dead "organisms". Like stuff you scrape off between your toes after three days in wet Danners out in Alaska. Toss that in a jar.

Like I said, you want to add it to foods for Umami, go for it, but standing there with a jar eating spoonfuls of it gurgling with repressed Anglo Saxon stiff upper lip glee or boisterous intoxicated psychopathology is a bit much.....and damn look at those brown stains, looks like ya got a mouthful of.....

You eat sai ua with sweet chili sauce and an icy cold beer. Bliss. I do realise living in Bangkok you may have been exposed to inferior products.

Where are the pictures of the Ukrainian hotties?

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you mean the jar's contents or the buyers? 

The contents of the jars will probably last longer.

Hell no, not longer, please   When the Earth finally gives up on the human race.  When we are all a part of the Universe's history , bloody Vegemite may still survive to pollute the next iteration of existence.  What a horribly depressing thought.  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Hell no, not longer, please   When the Earth finally gives up on the human race.  When we are all a part of the Universe's history , bloody Vegemite may still survive to pollute the next iteration of existence.  What a horribly depressing thought.  

We Aussies will most probably survive the next iteration, thanks to our diet of Vegemite and the toughening up process applied to us by Brits a couple of centuries ago. Whereas you guys will most likely disappear under the mountain of flab built up by cold pork pies and denatured cabbage. I don't find that thought depressing at all.

Vegemite is worthy of inclusion in a time capsule, so people of the future will realise how lucky we were.

Archived