Attention all Aussies - vegemite

Lacessit

Very true. Americans cannot start breakfast without pouring a cup of coffee first.
Salt in Vegemite is there as a preservative. It's an acquired taste, and Thais of my acquaintance give me strange looks when they taste Vegemite for the first and probably only time. I need it to give my taste buds a pay attention, time to rise and shine.
I've tried Bovril; however, it seemed to me to be more of a soup adjunct than something one could put on toast.

Yes Bovril is used mainly as a gravy or even a drink and does also come in granulated form.
I don’t think there’s that many using it on toast ( don’t know what they are missing [emoji51]).

My gf was given a jar of Vegemite kids as her nephew had bought it and didn’t like it .
She ate it all and as we couldn’t find the kids variety she now eats Vegemite normal, which I sometimes bring back from the uk for her also.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes Bovril is used mainly as a gravy or even a drink and does also come in granulated form.
I don’t think there’s that many using it on toast ( don’t know what they are missing emoji51.png).

My gf was given a jar of Vegemite kids as her nephew had bought it and didn’t like it .
She ate it all and as we couldn’t find the kids variety she now eats Vegemite normal, which I sometimes bring back from the uk for her also.

You are a generous person, considering you were lamenting her lack of taste in a previous post.

Addendum... Attention all Aussies: your country is actually a bit <deleted>, your accent nauseating, your insistence to call professionals, Ambos, fireos, musos, etc incredibly childish. The treatment of your native “boong “ is appalling and you refuse marmite, cos “we’ve got vegimite mate”. Oh dear I could go on, but they’d still be painting that crappy bridge.

39 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Addendum... Attention all Aussies: your country is actually a bit <deleted>, your accent nauseating, your insistence to call professionals, Ambos, fireos, musos, etc incredibly childish. The treatment of your native “boong “ is appalling and you refuse marmite, cos “we’ve got vegimite mate”. Oh dear I could go on, but they’d still be painting that crappy bridge.

It would be courteous to reveal your nationality, so we can respond with our own critiques.

Your diatribe on what you perceive as our failings reminds me of being flogged with wet lettuce leaves.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I started the Bovril banter off and I’ve never seen it in LOS , although I’m nowhere near Foodland/Tops/Villa etc so haven’t looked there.

Imports of meat or meat products are prohibited by Thai quarantine regulations. One of the few things that are. As a meat derivative, that's probably why Bovril doesn't appear on the shelves.

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It would be courteous to reveal your nationality, so we can respond with our own critiques.

Your diatribe on what you perceive as our failings reminds me of being flogged with wet lettuce leaves.

Aussies have been insulted by experts and then poor sharktooth comes along thinking he is a bit special - well he is a bit "special"  as well as being a bloody amateur comedian.  

On 2/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, scorecard said:

I'll be there within the hour.

I was brought up in OZ on Vegemite on toast, my sadly departed Thai wife developed a solid taste for it when she was studying in OZ, our Thai son loved it from a toddler, and his three Thai kids are all total believers, included in their breakfast probably 4 days a week and their choice for a snack.  Son's wife not yet a convert but her elderly mother; salt of the earth old style up country Thai farmer also loves Vege on toast, she demands it when she visits. 

Should arrange Aussie citizenship for the true believers.

On 2/24/2019 at 11:28 AM, KiChakayan said:

Love Oz, got the passport, got as far as enjoying a day at the cricket, even though many impenetrable subtleties remain, but haven't manage to get a taste for the epitome of culinary culture..

don't give up, the effort is well worth the return...

On 2/24/2019 at 5:48 PM, Pilotman said:

We won't mind, we wouldn't want to be on an Earth dominated by Aussies and Vegemite. Death is preferable. 

Keep eating your Marmite and your wish will be fulfilled ….

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

One think nobody has brought up about Rimping Vegimite,
Small bottle 99bht (150gm) on offer.

Large bottle 165bht (220gm)

So at normal prices the large bottle is 15bht more expensive then the small bottle. 

Bottle, bottle - man, have some dignity - its a jar of Vegemite, the nectar of the gods.   

I have tried to like Vegemite on several occasions particularly as it is somewhat cheaper than Marmite, but every time have had to give it up. Why? Because compared to Marmite it is rather bland and doesn't have the strong taste sharpness of Marmite. Shame really.

It's the same offer here, buy 1 get 1 free Vegemite in Big C Xtra, Pattaya. 

I buy Vegemite because it's cheaper than Marmite. I only eat it because of the high amount of Vitamin B. I am not a heavy beer drinker so this is the only way for me to get a high dosage of Vitamin B. Perfect on the toast. 

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

It was bought out by Unilever.

A fairly incestuous buyout. Unilever AFAIK is still making cooking oils and commercial margarines. It also incorporates the British firm of J S Kitchen and Sons, soapmakers.

Unilever manufactures Deb, a ghastly and misguided attempt to switch consumers to powdered potato from the real thing. Marmite is a fitting companion product.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 9:13 PM, Lacessit said:

Another victim of your Cardinal reveals himself ????

• 4 months later...
On 2/26/2019 at 5:02 AM, balo said:

I buy Vegemite because it's cheaper than Marmite.

Me Too.

And the Marmite in Chiang Mai seems more runny than the Marmite I used to buy in the UK.

Vegimite still has the consistency I expect, even if the taste is a little off.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:23 AM, BritManToo said:

Me Too.

And the Marmite in Chiang Mai seems more runny than the Marmite I used to buy in the UK.

Vegimite still has the consistency I expect, even if the taste is a little off.

I think that the runnier marmite here has to do with it being a fair bit warmer here than in the UK. Still tastes the same and a lot better than vegemite.

Archived