TV doctors, what you think? sudden leg pain

steve2112

a couple of days ago i just stood up and a sudden pain hit me in the lower leg, back of my shin. nothing to do with injury or anything like that, just came completely out of nowhere.

i'm generally pretty health, low blood pressure, not fat, no medical issues (except this one)

my first thought was cramp that will go away in a few hours, but 3 days later and it still hurts, but not as much

so i'm thinking either trapped nerve or blood clot. any thoughts? i guess i should see a doc i know but don't have a lot of confidence in them.

My advice in the first instance would be a correct and decent lower leg massage,

Make sure everything is relaxed and supple, gentle flex and tension after that see how it feels. Re-assess from there.

Wouldnt hurt when doing the massage to use a spot tiger-balm.

Just now, CharlieH said:

My advice in the first instance would be a correct and decent lower leg massage,

Make sure everything is relaxed and supple, gentle flex and tension after that see how it feels. Re-assess from there.

Wouldnt hurt when doing the massage to use a spot tiger-balm.

tried both of those several times already, but thx anyhow

it "may" be a strain or minor muscle tear, "RICE" , rest ice compression elevation.

but as always:

"If you are unsure of the cause of your symptoms, or if you do not know the specific treatment recommendations for your condition, you should seek professional medical attention."

Just now, steve2112 said:

i really doubt that, i haven't done anything to cause that.

Getting up from a chair or getting out of bed can do that ! its really not that difficult, especially as you get older, or were sat down for a prelonged period.

4 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Getting up from a chair or getting out of bed can do that ! its really not that difficult, especially as you get older, or were sat down for a prelonged period.

i was on my motorbike, not for long, maybe 10 mins, then got off and started walking and a couple of seconds later, it hit me. its possible i twisted it somehow i guess, i was walking slightly down hill on uneven ground.

i'm just a bit paranoid in case its a blood clot because that can kill you, worst case scenario. but perhaps its nothing more than a muscle stain. i should try the RICE thing

2 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

i was on my motorbike, not for long, maybe 10 mins, then got off and started walking and a couple of seconds later, it hit me. its possible i twisted it somehow i guess, i was walking slightly down hill on uneven ground.

i'm just a bit paranoid in case its a blood clot because that can kill you, worst case scenario. but perhaps its nothing more than a muscle stain. i should try the RICE thing

Well, if you think of the action that you do when dismounting a bike, the pressure and twist in direction, couple that with uneven ground and downhill slope and it seems you have a possible answer to the strain.

I agree with you that for now, use the "rice" principal for a 7-10 days and see how you go. bag of frozen veg works well ????

You need to rule out a Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). See a doctor at once.

Where in Thailand do you live?

Do not get any more massage until cleared by a doctor. If it is a DVT massage could loosen the clot causing a pulmonary embolus, stroke or heart attack.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

the fact that it isn't going away is what's bothering me most. usually stuff like this goes away quick on me so i'm a bit worried about why not.

yes, i know i need to see a doc. i'm in phuket, no shortage of them here, and i read up on DVT, that's why i posed the question, if i thought it was a simple muscle pull in the first place i wouldn't think twice about it

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Do not get any more massage until cleared by a doctor. If it is a DVT massage could loosen the clot causing a pulmonary embolus, stroke or heart attack.

You beat me to it.

Never massage a painful leg like the OP had unless one can rule out DVT. 

DVTs are not only caused by air travel.

11 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

the fact that it isn't going away is what's bothering me most. usually stuff like this goes away quick on me so i'm a bit worried about why not.

yes, i know i need to see a doc. i'm in phuket, no shortage of them here, and i read up on DVT, that's why i posed the question, if i thought it was a simple muscle pull in the first place i wouldn't think twice about it

I hope you are on your way to see a Dr right now. DVT can kill you if a piece breaks off, but you already knew that.

11 minutes ago, steve2112 said:

do you have history of bad blood circulation, varicose veins in the legs, if not the symptoms you describe doesn't appear to be DVT, I know what the symptoms are as I have DVT. Would agree with Charlie about the strain muscle following an awkward movement like getting down from the moto or walking on a bad/uneven road/ground, rest and some muscle relaxant would help

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

do you have history of bad blood circulation, varicose veins in the legs, if not the symptoms you describe doesn't appear to be DVT, I know what the symptoms are as I have DVT. Would agree with Charlie about the strain muscle following an awkward movement like getting down from the moto or walking on a bad/uneven road/ground, rest and some muscle relaxant would help

no history with bad blood circulation but i do occasionally get cramps when sleeping, hurts like a MOFO but goes away in seconds when i walk it off

i gotta say, i think i'm been paranoid and there is nothing to worry about. i i don't have a lot of confidence in doctors here anyhow, i expect if i go see one i'll walk out with a bag of antibiotics

42 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I agree on pulmonary embolus, but how is it possible to get a stroke or heart attack from a venous clot?

2 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I agree on pulmonary embolus, but how is it possible to get a stroke or heart attack from a venous clot?

i think if the clot breaks loose, floats around the blood system and ends up on your lungs or brain, very bad news

1 minute ago, steve2112 said:

no history with bad blood circulation but i do occasionally get cramps when sleeping, hurts like a MOFO but goes away in seconds when i walk it off

i gotta say, i think i'm been paranoid and there is nothing to worry about. i i don't have a lot of confidence in doctors here anyhow, i expect if i go see one i'll walk out with a bag of antibiotics

been paranoid is part of getting older, I have legs cramps on a daily basis, stepping down the moto is a risky process for me but couple minutes later and a small rub down the pain stops, take a muscle relaxant like norgesic, myonal or amytriptyline, they are not to strong and help the strain

Archived