TV doctors, what you think? sudden leg pain

steve2112

Barring previous history, circulation issues, medication, recent injuries/trauma or the presence of swelling discoloration bruising or impact/injury, or recently completed a long haul flight with prolonged periods of imobilization, (contra-indications) NONE of which were mentioned by the OP, in fact he said all was normal and healthy etc prior to dismounting a motorcycle.

The reasonable asumption is a minor structural issue such as a muscle or ligament, to jump to DVT, whilst obviously precautionary, is akin to getting a CT scan because you have a headache, Possible ? yes, probable, no.

In my humble opinion the OP is over reacting a little and should illuminate the the more obvious possibilities before incurring expense, as they are love to do here.

Do as previously suggested but if it persists then its time to call in the professional medical advice.

58 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Stroke and heart attacks are caused by clots in arteries, not veins.

Clots can travel through the heart and out into arteries.

Where they lodge depends on their size and also the lumens of the vessals - areas with plaque etc

1 hour ago, steve2112 said:

the fact that it isn't going away is what's bothering me most. usually stuff like this goes away quick on me so i'm a bit worried about why not.

yes, i know i need to see a doc. i'm in phuket, no shortage of them here, and i read up on DVT, that's why i posed the question, if i thought it was a simple muscle pull in the first place i wouldn't think twice about it

There is no way to know it is not a DVT without seeing a doctor.

in Phuket, personally I would opt for Mission Hospital.

I had the same thing.  About 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a sudden, very unpleasant pain in my right calf while I was walking.  It went away after perhaps 30 seconds, but was still painful when I walked, not when resting.  It gradually got better over a period of perhaps 10 days, then I was hit with exactly the same thing on the left calf.  That was 5 or 6 days ago and now it's finally starting to fade away.

A bit distressing!

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Clots can travel through the heart and out into arteries.

How could it possibly travel through the heart to the arteries? The clot would travel through Vena Cava inferior to the right side of the heart, then to the lungs, where it's stuck. 

18 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

How could it possibly travel through the heart to the arteries? The clot would travel through Vena Cava inferior to the right side of the heart, then to the lungs, where it's stuck. 

Often gets stuck there bit not always. Smaller clots may pass through and lodge elsewhere. Often the spot where a small clot wil lodge will be one with rough plaque deposits on the walls.

Sheryl is right that you should rule out DVT, and that means going to a hospital. 

She is also right that massage is not a good idea if DVT has not yet ruled out. 

As she states, DVT may even cause a stroke (paradoxical embolism). It is rare,  but it does happen. 

(Ok, she is not quite right about the heart attack,  but that doesnt change the fact that hers is the only good advice given here).

First things a doctor would look at, besides a physical examination of both legs: how old are you? Male or female? BMI? Smoker? Pill? History? ...

We know nothing about OP. TVF is not a clinic.

I suffered a high calf muscle strain several years ago. When it happened it hurt like hell and it was painful when walking. It got better over time but took several weeks until it found 100% again.

I did actually go and see a doctor who diagnosed it and gave me some cream but basically said it is just a case of staying off it and with time it will heal.

What you have described may well be a calf muscle strain.

Archived