Swedish Folks in Roi-Et Province.

MartinL

I have a Swedish friend-of-a-friend coming to Thailand for a visit in April with a view to making it permanent in November. He's hoping to settle in Selaphum district of Roi-Et.

I'm trying to lay some ground for him so that he can ask questions about immigration rules, general life in Thailand etc. in his own language if he needs to.

He's around Swedish retirement age - 65 ish? - and a schoolteacher at the moment, I've been told. His Thai gf's mid-50s and also a teacher.

His English is, apparently, very poor and he has no Thai yet. His girlfriend's Swedish is non-existent. Please don't ask me how they communicate!!! I'm assuming that, since I've been told his English is poor I won't be of much help to him except in a very basic sense. I'm also not really local to Selaphum.

I've never met the bloke but I like his girlfriend and have known her for 10 years. She's been my wife's friend and work colleague for 25+ years. I assume he'll be a reasonable type.

If you're Swedish and might be open to helping him settle-in at some time by answering some questions, please let me know.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several Facebook groups for Swedish people in Thailand, biggest one is "Svenskar i Thailand" and there are several other ones for Thailand in general and various local groups. If he cannot find one for Roy-et my tip for him is to start a new FB-group called Scandinavians in Roy-et.

Archived