Tourists, crew safe as dive boat sinks off Similan Islands

webfact

Tourists, crew safe as dive boat sinks off Similan Islands

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1551007844_1-org.jpg

A tour boat sank off Similan Islands in the early hours of today (Feb 24). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHANG NGA: A total of 11 people, including four foreign tourists, were taken to safety in the early hours of today (Feb 24) after the dive boat they were on board of sank off Similan Islands.

The Similan Islands National Park  Headquater and the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command base in Phang Nga received a notification of a marine accident off Similan Islands at 02.45am today. The incident happened not far from a small beach on one of the islands of the archipelago.

At the scene the joint team discovered a partially submerged dive boat, named in their report as Panthip 2.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/tourists-crew-safe-as-dive-boat-sinks-off-similan-islands-70495.php#HvPhZS0TsBQXkOeW.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-02-25

3 minutes ago, car720 said:

how do you let a beautiful boat like this just sink?

It looked beautiful above water, but you never know what flaws are hidden below the waterline.

Build quality, build materials, over loading, increase/change in usage and poor daily maintenance (if any) lead to any boat sinking.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

One wonders if the issue is the low quality construction of these boats, or the poor skills of the captains, or a disregard for weather? Seems like an awful lot of boats going down lately. 

Well that certainly covers all the bases Mike ????

Why oh why cant the Thai government use the huge amount of years of experience that the Expats living here possess, to remedy this problem with tourist vessels regarding seaworthiness and Safety?

The News of this will already be around the world, just on Social media alone....

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

One wonders if the issue is the low quality construction of these boats, or the poor skills of the captains, or a disregard for weather? Seems like an awful lot of boats going down lately. 

Plus nothing ever checked, either by the owner, the captain or the officials.

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Why oh why cant the Thai government use the huge amount of years of experience that the Expats living here possess, to remedy this problem with tourist vessels regarding seaworthiness and Safety?

The News of this will already be around the world, just on Social media alone....

Because Thais know best.

Amazing Thailand! In all my travels... In all 5 of the countries I've lived in.. Thailand is the WORST for so many things! 

It's not too surprising though. 80% of the times I order food or drink in a resteraunt in thailand... They server forgets something. I order in thai language ... Something simple.. Coffee with a little milk. Most of the time... no milk arrives. Drives me mad. "Leo beer Nam keng krap" ... I get just a beer. Drives me f'ing mad! 

Maybe these boat operators forget basic stuff also? I think so... 

3 hours ago, weegee said:

It seems loss of face is more important than loss of life. So many countries possess years of experience in areas that seems to baffle homegrown experts hereabouts. It is evident from mispelled highway signs, extending to tried and true methods of roadway, mobile traffic policing. In a country that cannot enforce simple helmet laws, it is no wonder boats seem to sink with regularity, buses crash almost weekly and electrocutions of passersby are not unusual. This country has 65+ millions of people and is a hub of so many areas of mayhem.

Archived