Two people pictured having a beer on top of Chiang Mai's historic wall

webfact

Two people pictured having a beer on top of Chiang Mai's historic wall

8pm.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

Two people could be in trouble after they were snapped having a beer atop one of Chiang Mai's historic walls. 

The Chiang Mai News page on Facebook called on the authorities to act. 

Posters saw it as inappropriate but many said rather than taking pictures and doing nothing why not tell them to get down and point to the sign forbidding such activity. 

Others were less charitable. 

One suggested kicking them in the moat and that comment got a lot of likes. 

While another suggested using Thai slingshots on the couple. 

Unusually for such a story no one seemed to be suggesting that the people were foreigners. 

Thaivisa notes that Thais take damage to their historic sites seriously and that includes climbing on them. 

Last year a man from Liverpool and a Canadian woman were each fined 100,000 for spray painting at the Tha Phae gate. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-25

If they are Chinese,no problem, Farangs could get 5 years and huge fine,

it does not take much to upset the netizens, the police will be doing the

rounds of guest houses looking for the couple for committing such a

horrendous crime ????

regards worgeordie

"Thaivisa notes that Thais take damage to their historic sites seriously and that includes climbing on them. 

Last year a man from Liverpool and a Canadian woman were each fined 100,000 for spray painting at the Tha Phae gate".

Yes, unless it is Thai's doing it, in which case is is quietly forgotten. What about all the Thai graffiti on the walls and around the Tha Phae gate??. I guess its OK for Thais to spray paint just not the falangs. 

Not really sure what to think , seeing as they knocked down the entire Tapae gate and rebuilt it in the 80's. I also noticed at Chiang mai Gate where they had driven in "things" to hold an electrical cable to affix spotlights. At present they are rebuilding some of the corners with of course new bricks. I think sitting and having a beer is pretty harmless, considering the above.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Two people could be in trouble after they were snapped having a beer atop one of Chiang Mai's historic walls. 

If they went and climbed on the actual historic outer walls that border San Kampandin Road on the East, then nobody would say a word.  Interesting that Thais probably pee on the remains of that original San Kampandin wall with complete irreverence as they worship that replica which was build quite recently and exclaim shock and horror at the behavior of evil (albeit stupid) tourists who can't seem to read signs.  The original moat wall was all but gone except for some of the fortifications at the corners by 1900.  The 'historic' wall is a tourist attraction that I believe was built in the 1960s, nothing much more than that. 

No doubt when found, huge fines and possible jail time will be levied against the wayward tourists along with being the center of a media circus and a Thai social media rant.  Thais will get there 2 minutes of hate this week.  During that same day, there were probably multiple instances of serious crimes, such as assault and battery and child abuse  committed which earned the perp no more than a 5000 THB fine. Always interesting to see what is really important to Thai society and what is not.   :dry:

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Last year a man from Liverpool and a Canadian woman were each fined 100,000 for spray painting at the Tha Phae gate

i think these two were from Europe.  Really disrespectful!!!  Can you imagine!!!  disrespect an entire culture!!!  i hope jail time, fines, deported forever, open bottle fine, fine for drinking, banned forever....

i want name and shame, parents on thaiTV!!!!!   really the worst traveler, i'm sure this is not all they did wrong...      if an american, everyone would want the same.  lol

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

If they are Chinese,no problem, Farangs could get 5 years and huge fine,

it does not take much to upset the netizens, the police will be doing the

rounds of guest houses looking for the couple for committing such a

horrendous crime ????

regards worgeordie

you talking crap did those 2 idiots who spray painted that wall got 5 years?

5 hours ago, Seismic said:

"Thaivisa notes that Thais take damage to their historic sites seriously and that includes climbing on them. 

Last year a man from Liverpool and a Canadian woman were each fined 100,000 for spray painting at the Tha Phae gate".

Yes, unless it is Thai's doing it, in which case is is quietly forgotten. What about all the Thai graffiti on the walls and around the Tha Phae gate??. I guess its OK for Thais to spray paint just not the falangs. 

you must be reading Trump news they did not get fined 100.000 baht

Archived