Australian Return Resident Visa

Is anyone familiar with this subclass visa 155 , which allows multiple travel overseas for a permanent resident?

My GF has one which expires in 2021 , is there any requirement that she has to spend certain length of time back in Oz to be eligible to reapply for a new one, as she has spent more time back here in Thailand?

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Whilst I don't have first hand experience with it, I looked into it a couple of years ago and then it was not attractive (for my wife) as "you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year". We didn't want the restriction of being pinned down in Australia for 2 years so didn't bother with it.

1. Home
  2. If she leaves Australia after her travel validity expires, or it expires when she is outside Australia, she will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. This visa allows her to return as a permanent resident.

Permanent residents

As a permanent resident you can leave Australia and return on your permanent visa as often as you wish for the first 5 years after the visa is granted.

After this: 

• the travel component of your permanent visa will expire
  • you must apply for a Resident Return visa if you want to leave Australia and return as a permanent resident.

ted. A

If you are outside Australia when the travel component of your permanent visa expires, do not return to Australia on any other kind of visa. If you do:

• you will lose your permanent resident status
  • your eligibility for citizenship might be affected

the vel component of your permanent visa will expire

• you must apply for a 

If you are outside Australia when the travel component of your permanent visa expires, do not return to Australia on any other kind of visa. If you do:

• you will lose your permanent resident status
  • your eligibility for citizenship might be affected

Resident Return visa

If you leave Australia after your travel validity expires, or it expires when you are outside Australia, you will not be able to return to Australia as a permanent resident. This visa allows you to return as a permanent resident.

• 2 weeks later...

No requirement to have lived in Australia recently. The only real pre-requisites are that you must have been a former PR and you have links back to OZ.

Married with Australian citizen kids makes sure you meet this requirement. Property, assets and other job related offers also constitute links to Australia.

We've let my wife's Aussie PR lapse. However every time we go back, all we do is apply for a return resident visa online, showing them some evidence of links to Australia, and it is granted.

With basic links like the ones I've told you about, she'll be granted a one year RRV, which means she can come and go for a year and re-enter as a PR each time. Of course, she has the right to stay for ever on each return.

The 'living in Australia for the past 2 of the 5 years as a PR' is a different thing. That allows you to apply for a 5 year RRV.

Living outside of Australia, you should always be given an RRV, but under the current rules, the most you'll get is a 1 year RRV travel facility if you haven't lived there for the for the past 2 years out of 5.

On 2/25/2019 at 4:53 PM, mark5335 said:

Whilst I don't have first hand experience with it, I looked into it a couple of years ago and then it was not attractive (for my wife) as "you must have lived in Australia as a permanent resident for at least two of the last five years. Alternatively, if you do not meet this residence requirement but you can demonstrate substantial ties of benefit to Australia you may be eligible to be granted the visa for one year". We didn't want the restriction of being pinned down in Australia for 2 years so didn't bother with it.

No need to be pinned down. You just apply for another one the next time you go.

4 hours ago, gaviny said:

Thanks for the clarification Samran, yearly visa sounds ok, particularly if they can't take her PR of her if she can prove her links to Oz.Half share in a property is her main link.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The more links the better I guess. We let them know in the cover letter we are over here for my work etc etc, show property and bank accounts, investments etc.

I've been told by them Australian citizen kids makes it a just about a 100% certainty. The fee is $350-odd, so not cheap, but given entering as a PR gives you access to Medicare and other social services, I view it as a form of travel insurance to pay that fee.

Archived