Chiang Mai public transport van drivers petition against GPS speed detectors, for higher speed limit

snoop1130

This just shows how backward, uneducated, law-breaking, reckless and stupid you have to be to drive a van in this country. 

They've been caught speeding; not once apparently, but on numerous occasions every day. They slip in their little bit of "compromise" by alledging that these are only short bursts of speed to pass others. Absolute garbage! We all know how these pratts drive and just how erratic and how dangerous they are to everyone. Now, they want their fines cancelled - or, the speed limit increased. Priceless!

They justify their speeding, (up-hill and overtaking mind you), by accusing other drivers of making their life difficult by driving within the speed limit, (maybe).

They want to go faster - because they get tired when driving a reasonable speeds. The department is doing tourism a favour by fining these cretins.

Double, even treble the fines and get them off the roads - now! 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Power of life yoga said:

,” he said, adding that driving at less than 90km/h added to travelling time, and made the drivers exhausted and sleepy due to the longer period that they had to spend behind the wheel.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard today 

This century even!

4 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:
12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Please be sympathetic with public transport van drivers, as we’re also part of the tourism business providing services to tourists as well as the general public.

providing service by intimidating, endangering and killing passengers while on drugs...   

Has the hallmarks of a TAT press release.

Me and she go to Japan at least once a year and we are perfectly happy to travel on any kind of public transport.

Bus/mini-bus/van, clean, comfortable and on time every time. Bus/van drivers in a suit and tie. No need to hang on to the seat in front 99% of the time. I could go on.

4 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

My friends who regularly take the vans from Bangkok to Hua Hin, say that the drivers are much safer lately and do drive slower. A big improvement!

I do have a little sympathy for them if they get tickets for briefly exceeding the limit while passing. Are there any of us who have not done that?

Yeah, but not on a blind bend with passengers on board.

Whatever the limited is set these guys will still break the limit!  The president of their Association instead of pushing higher limits which really equal higher % of deaths and accidents should be pushing to eliminate commission base pay thus the need to pick up passengers and rush to that destination.  Petition for greater protection for the driver to report and refused to take vehicles that are unsafe for the road. The current system you can set the GPS at 120, and the results will still be the same! 

8 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

My friends who regularly take the vans from Bangkok to Hua Hin, say that the drivers are much safer lately and do drive slower. A big improvement!

I do have a little sympathy for them if they get tickets for briefly exceeding the limit while passing. Are there any of us who have not done that?

If you have to break the speed limit to overtake you have mis-judged something, distance, speed of the vehicle in front or road conditions or the vehicle in front is travelling at or near the speed limit so there is no need to overtake. I do realise the above implies using a common sense attitude and this being Thailand I can already see the flaw in my post.

29 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

And if you were caught speeding you'd expect to be fined or have license revoked or sent to jail, no? These guys want to endanger others and face little to no consequences. How do you have sympathy for that?

30 minutes ago, onekoolguy said:

My guess is that none of us drive a minivan with paying passengers.

Minivans are not made for high speed and as the driver of a public service vehicle you have the responsibility for all the passengers in your vehicle. 

You simply cannot compare "them" with "us".

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while some have also had their vehicle-tax renewal rights suspended due to the offence, Soros said. 

So the tax renewal suspension does actually seem to be having an impact.  Prior the Somchais get speeding ticket,  then bin speeding ticket.  No problem.  It will be interesting if they actually do get the demerit points system working too.  Then you finally will be out of business.

Then if they have an accident on a downhill section you can bet they will all be saying the brakes failed nothing to do with the speed !!

Number one morons on the road , followed by cement trucks , public buses and then usually armed general public who can’t stand being passed or someone beeping at them !

Increase the speed limit to 110km/h and they'll drive at 120...though I admit I don't know the top speed of those vans. I echo the sentiments of others here. These van drivers want to be kings of the roads and crash at whatever speed they feel is appropriate for total destruction (Ha!).

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I recommend to tourists to avoid their "services" at any cost.

I advise people to rent a car ie motorbike and take yourself and nevet trust any thai public transport for your safety. As yes its dangerous on thai rds especially on a motorbike but your survival chances are still way higher then with your life in the hands of a thai driver. If you are not willing to spend the extra to rent and take yourself yiu are saying your life is only worth the cost of public transport fare. And in many cases renting can actually be cheaper in the long run then public transport over the same amount of travel time and costs. 

And once again. not only distorted logic, but more evidence of third world thinking. I will pray for all of the ignorant people who fail to see any reason to act upon obvious acts that cause others injuries and/ or deaths. I do not even live there, yet I get so pissed off that people are killed due to negligence- yes negligence....here in the US considered a "tort", yet in these "unlawful" countries, a wai and then go on about your business. Nope....my protestation is with those innocent victims who most likely don't have money in general, but get screwed by lack of investigative  authorities and thereby renders them even more destitute.

Someone please tell me that Thai citizens are safeguarded. If not, then  my negative inclination will persist:)

They should all be imposed to a proper driving training course.

First and foremost to learn how to drive in a straight line for at least a km then learn how to use the mirrors and be considerate towards other motorists, manage to control high ego selfish childish attitude, if driving slowly to stick to their left hand side of the roads but the list of learning courve is so long that they’d better be off the road altogether since they will never change their attitude ????????‍♂️

Reckless  public dangers so called drivers ! Forget about increasing the speed but keep that gps in the veichle at all costs !

2 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

They should all be imposed to a proper driving training course.

First and foremost to learn how to drive in a straight line for at least a km then learn how to use the mirrors and be considerate towards other motorists, manage to control high ego selfish childish attitude, if driving slowly to stick to their left hand side of the roads but the list of learning courve is so long that they’d be be off the road altogether since they will never change their attitude ????????‍♂️

Reckless  public dangers so called drivers ! Forget about increasing the speed but keep that gps in the veichle at all costs !

In other words, can I infer that like other countries, citizens who drive should be negligent if they break "laws"? Trouble is that those standard laws (if in fact a law) are constantly violated and thus contribute to injury and death.  When Thai authorities deem a human life as important, then and only then will things change. Until then, get your shit together and strive to become a non-third world country.

56 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Increase the speed limit to 110km/h and they'll drive at 120...though I admit I don't know the top speed of those vans. I echo the sentiments of others here. These van drivers want to be kings of the roads and crash at whatever speed they feel is appropriate for total destruction (Ha!).

top speed is warp speed, well to think about it the only speed is warp speed. well they are a blur when they pass me

Even if the speed limit was raised to 110kph, the van drivers would still do 160kph; in all the years I've been here, I've never known it any different.

If anybody in the government had any sense, they would tell the van drivers to shove their petition where the sun doesn't shine, and find another job; plenty of people to take their place.

12 hours ago, arithai12 said:

1) no

2) I hope so

Your problem is the country's standards. "If" you can be an independent vendor. AND honest in your dealings. Once the Thai mafia is eradicated, then only will things get better. Blame the corrupt authorities for 'things" that should not be.

20 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I would dearly love to know the opinions of Thai social media on this matter? I wonder whether it matches ours?

Thai for Thai ???? they will always be biased scratching each other’s back.

I wouldn’t expect any sensible comments from the thai media itself  since they all drive in the same dangerous reckless manner, simply because they don’t know any better and refused to know better having such an insular mind and a bad attitude ????

Archived