MAP

Issangeorge

I have high blood pressure, with medicine I can keep it under 150 almost all the time and mostly under 140. After doing my 6 to 10 kilometer walk it is under 130 most of the time and every onece in a while under 120. The other day I was looking at my BP recording APP and you enter systolic pressure and then diastolic pressure and then heart rate. At the bottom there is a number that comes up automatically, for some reasons I had never paid any attention to it before. It says MAP, I looked it up and it is mean arterial pressure, which comes roughly from doubling your diastolic pressure then adding it to your systolic pressure and dividing by 3. If you consider a normal BP is 120/80 then a normal MAP would be 93.33. My BP is very seldom under 120/80, but my MAP is usually under 93.33. My question is, is this measurement indicative of you BP health? Unfortunately I live in the deepest of Isaan and although I go to the hospital every two to three months to get my BP checked, the doctors don't speak English very well so I was hoping someone here would know about MAP. Thank you.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

The main utility of MAP is in assessing adequacy of blood flow to vital organs, mainly a concern in terms of shock.

There has been some discussion of including MAP along with Systolic and Diastolic BP as criteria for diagnosing hypertension as it would pick up more cases. But for someone with known hypertension there is no particular value that I can see in monitoring MAP and opposed to regular BP. If either systolic or diastolic are raised you are still hypertensive even if MAP is in normal range. In fact normal MAP is especially likely to accompany what is called Systolic hypertension (elevated systolic but normal or low diastolic pressure) and SHTN is especially dangerous in terms of risk of stroke etc.

However with the systolic (top number) only go by what it is at rest. Systolic BP will always go up under exertion or stress (physical or mental)  and that is a normal physiologic response, not a sign of hypertension. Only when it is persistantly elevated at rest does it indicate hypertension.

Diastolic (bottom number) is usually more stable with less flunctuation.

Thank you Sheryl. With me I find my systolic pressure is usually lower after I have done exercise, such as a 5 to 10 kilometer walk at about 108 to 112 paces per minute. After such a walk my BP is almost always under 140, and simetimes under 130. However when I get up in the morning or go to bed at night, it is usually over 140 and sometimes over 150. For instance tonight it is 146/75 with a HB of 79. This morning after a 6.5 km walk it was 132/71 with a HB of 81.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

Archived