Teeth aching dentist at a loss

Orton Rd

For the past few weeks had teeth aching on right side, upper and lower, comes and goes. This week been bad at night keeping me awake, agony at times but not so bad in the day. Dentist cannot find anything wrong at all and I cannot pin the pain on one tooth, sometimes it's one then another or two at once. Reading up on it it seems it may be connected to something called TN a type of neuralgia connected to a nerve in the face mainly affecting the over 50's. Wondering if anyone else ever had this? Seems pointless going to the dentist again.

If the pain cannot be located to any tooth or teeth then I think trigeminal neuralgia is a distinct possibility.

Suggest you see a neuroligist.

While it could be possible for a cavitation not to show on regular xray or physical exam, pain from such would usually be evoked by taping and also localized to a specific tooth or teeth.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Try something simple first:  Start using a "sensitive teeth" toothpaste.

A major dental hospital in Bangkok had me signed up for root canals (plural) due to symptoms very similar to yours.  They said I had micro-fractures that didn't show up on an x-ray.  A couple appointments got botched (scheduled when there was no doctor actually available) so I got irritated and went to a German dental clinic in Pattaya.  Dentist said nothing looked wrong to him and suggested the toothpaste change.  Within days, I had no more pain.  A bonus was that he didn't even charge for my visit.  :smile:

was in Suk soi 49? they told me I needed all 4 wisdom teeth capped with root cannals 10 years ago at great expense, they are still there. They did one filling and charged 6k baht. It's always wise to get a second opinion. My teeth have settled down and i'm certain it's down to neuralgia and not the teeth themselves

Sorry to hear about that. If you're in Bangkok, I suggest you have it checked at Thantakit Dental Center. They are my go-to place for my dental needs and never had an issue with my dental work and post-treatments. Hope it gets sorted the soonest. Good luck!

Had something similar, I  Stopped all sugar intake and it cleared up for me...Sounds like grasping for straws but at least try it in the meantime. .... Yes it's probably a sign of something more serious but the sugar seemed to aggravate it almost immediately.

during an episode of pain try tapping on different teeth on a a time and document which one(s) hurt with tapping.

pulpitis, is commonly known to cause radiation of pain to the opposite jaw and it feels like several tooth are involved.

pulpitis is an inflammation of the pulp canal inside tooth.  if your pain comes and goes it is reversible pulpitis. 

reversible pulpitis can possibly resolve itself and go away. 

i know very well because i had reversible pulpitis for months and was able to use ibuprofen.  it got better and no problem for a few month then it returned.  although it was pulpitis in a single upper jaw tooth the pain radiated to lower jaw and felt like several teeth were involved.

ultimately it became non reversible, or . hot tooth and needed root canal.  when it became "hot" a simple tap made me fly through the roof thus the culprit tooth was finally isolated.

the problem was that each time i went to the dentist the pain from inflammation had resolved therefore even by tapping on teeth there was nothing focal.

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Is pulpitis the same as an abscess?

no. in pulpitis the inflammation is confined to the inside of the tooth pulp. 

periodontal abscess is common. bacteria infect the space between gum and tooth.

the other one already mentioned is called periapical tooth abscess. theoretically bacterial pulpitis infection can extend beyond the tooth into the gum but a bigger concern is the infection spreading to the jaw bone and if upper jaw the concern is infection spread to the brain. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=periapical+tooth+abscess&safe=off&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS744US744&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcgNe-6PfgAhV56nMBHdNCAkcQ_AUIDigB&biw=1838&bih=921

Still having problems remembered a few years ago dentist at Mahidol dentist centre recommended removing a gold inlay and then root canal, but he never did an x ray. Going to other dentists none have ever said there is anything wrong with it, so went back today as that is the tooth giving the most problems.

If you have never been to Mahidol (nr Victory monument) don't, although there are many dentists there are always about 70 people or more waiting. We got there at 7.45 and were seen at 11.45, another 20 minutes after to pay the bill. Unfortunately the original Dentist was not available and when I asked the one we saw to look up the notes she said yes he planed to do it but could not see why as the x ray was OK. Got no further apart from a problem showing up on a tooth that gives me no problems as yet.

Will give one of those top notch places a try next, expensive but not four and a half hour wait for a shrug of the shoulders. The bill was 100 baht, hence the crowds. Have had good work done there before now it's got too busy.

On 3/7/2019 at 7:00 AM, Orton Rd said:

was in Suk soi 49? they told me I needed all 4 wisdom teeth capped with root cannals 10 years ago at great expense, they are still there. They did one filling and charged 6k baht. It's always wise to get a second opinion. My teeth have settled down and i'm certain it's down to neuralgia and not the teeth themselves

If you need neurology then Dr Thanin at Bangkok Christian. Outpatients in the evenings Tues and Thursday

31 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Still having problems remembered a few years ago dentist at Mahidol dentist centre recommended removing a gold inlay and then root canal, but he never did an x ray. Going to other dentists none have ever said there is anything wrong with it, so went back today as that is the tooth giving the most problems.

If you have never been to Mahidol (nr Victory monument) don't, although there are many dentists there are always about 70 people or more waiting. We got there at 7.45 and were seen at 11.45, another 20 minutes after to pay the bill. Unfortunately the original Dentist was not available and when I asked the one we saw to look up the notes she said yes he planed to do it but could not see why as the x ray was OK. Got no further apart from a problem showing up on a tooth that gives me no problems as yet.

Might give one of those top notch places a try next, expensive but not four and a half hour wait for a shrug of the shoulders.

here is a very good explanation re x rays and tooth problems. it seems sometimes an x ray can look ok but there is still a problem. i am not a dentist but it seems sometimes trying a root canal is something tried when all else has failed to fix the pain short of extraction.

https://www.animated-teeth.com/root_canal/root-canal-x-ray-diagnosis.htm

I have had something similar- with inflammation in the upper rear tooth area- on both sides but not at the same time-  it turned out to be sinusitis- treated with  anti inflammatory and  antibiotics.   It clears but returns  every 3 or 4 months due to the pollution situation and  also affected by changes in air pressure.

best natural remedy I have found is using a Neti Pot or it's equivalent- a pot of boiling water with an onion in it , I inhale  the steam through the nose and mouth for about 5 minutes- (3 times a day)careful not to let the steam burn the inner throat or nasal cavities- usually resolves everything within a few days.

In my case- went to several dentists until one actually  looked at the sinus area and found it inflamed and  intruding into the gum/teeth areas.

Archived