Recommend market to buy spices to take back to U.S.

Dean1953

I’ll be back in Chiangmai March 13-26 to work on house in Bo sang and try to either rent house or find a reputable company to rent it.  I’ll bring 2 suitcases and a carryon and possibly a pack pack full and leave just about everything at my house for when I eventually move back for good in 7-8 years.  My wife asked me to bring back spices (no food, as that is prohibited to bring into the U.S.).  I’m assuming that a market would be the cheapest way to go, as I can take back quite a bit in 3 suitcases, but I’m open to other suggestions.  Any recommendations would be welcome.

By spices I assume you mean dried Thai herbs, dried chilies and so forth? I can't think of too many spices used in Thai cooking other than salt and prik Thai (black or white ground pepper), star anise, cinnamon, cumin, and a couple of others used in gaeng Masaman, etc.

Anyway, Makro has the best selection IMO. They have huge 50 gallon bins of all kinds of herbs, chilies, and spices. They sell a lot so the turnover is high and items are fresher.

I always load up on chili pastes from Wanasanan--nam prik num, nam prik ong, nam prik goong haeng, pad prik pao, spices for kow soi, and gaeng hang lay. These are all prepackaged in foil and jars. Wanasanan has a branch at the airport right near domestic departures, next to the pharmacy, and a branch on the superhighway. You can carry on to Bangkok, but otherwise it's best to pack them in checked baggage. I always declare them at US airports and never have a problem because they're sealed. It's surprisingly good quality stuff.

Nearly every trip to Thailand my wife goes to ying jalern market on Pahonyotin in Bangkok and buys fresh chili pastes (gang ped, gang keowan, pad prik king, pla shooshi and some others I've forgotten) from a vendor there.  She will seal them in plastic bags then freeze them.  Then on our return date will add another layer of plastic bags before packing in checked baggage.  She keeps them in the freezer in US until ready to use.  It seems like a lot of work, but the flavor is outstanding compared to the Thai food we find pretty much anywhere in US.

We've never had a problem with leakage or US customs.

Hopefully a local market somewhere in Chiang Mai will have those fresh pastes available.

IMG_0940.JPG

8 hours ago, elektrified said:

Anyway, Makro has the best selection IMO. They have huge 50 gallon bins of all kinds of herbs, chilies, and spices. They sell a lot so the turnover is high and items are fresher.

Which makro are you referring to? The one close to Bangkok hospital has big bins but they are full mostly of peanuts and beans. All their spicee/herbs are prepackaged.

A friend of mine, a Thai lady, looks after my house when I’m not there.  Since I know next to nothing about spices (or Thai cooking, for that matter), I’ll bring her along about two days before coming back and have her select the spices and the amount.  I’ll be in Bangkok the first day of my trip but will have full suitcases then.  I’ll also be in Bangkok the last day, so that is a possibility if I can’t find what my wife wants in Chiang Mai.

Archived