My daily run is turning into a daily dogs avoidance

cooked

Hi. I run about 20 Km a week, training up to 10 Km.

WHAT do you guys do about dogs? Sticks? Pepper spray (which I don't like the idea of, and don't know where to buy), air pistol- no routes available leaving the village without dogs / absent owners.

Thanks.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can drive to a forest, you will find these dog-free. Depends where you are.

Or can you run in a group? I often run and encounter dogs but I am in a group usually. I find most are non-aggressive. If they appear aggressive, I pick up a stick, preferably, or a stone and feign throwing it. Remember to tell yourself that you control the situation. If you believe it, the dog will react accordingly.

You will find this an issue the length and breadth of Thailand.

Woman round here carries a  bamboo stick,personally  id  shoot  the lot of them and then the owners.....no wait Id  shoot  the owners and whilst the dogs  were  feeding on their carcasses then shoot  the dogs...........i want them to die  happy

17 minutes ago, Snow Leopard said:

Possibly a Catapult with some Ball Bearings?

I tried that. They're too wary and turn tail as soon as you start to aim. I imagine if you're running and need to interrupt to do this, it messes up your cadence, pulls you out of your "zone." 

2 minutes ago, quandow said:

I tried that. They're too wary and turn tail as soon as you start to aim. I imagine if you're running and need to interrupt to do this, it messes up your cadence, pulls you out of your "zone." 

Gotcha. Last resort? At least have something that can be brought to hand quickly. 

The dog situation here is just ridiculous, not only strays but dogs at houses as well.

Saturday coming back from big C, past a house that has 2 bloody big boxer-type dogs.

Normally when i pass they run along the fence line barking at me, on saturday the gate was open, woman standing there on her phone.

Dogs went straight for me, now as i can only get 16ks out of my scooter i cant outrun them.

Buggers trying to jump at my arm/legs, i did everything i could to avoid them.

Woman just carried on talking on her phone, and did nothing, luckily for me a pickup came along, driver saw what was happening and drove at the dogs, forcing them away.

Driver ( neighour of mine) and i both tried speaking to the woman and she just walked away.

Most Soi dogs are all bark and no bite when it comes to adults,  many joggers and walkers around my area seem to carry lightweight sticks. 

If they are really aggressive get a Thai to help you file a complaint at the local Tessibann office. 

Lazada sells dog repellent devices online;

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=dog+repellent&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1342719cDR7Odk

Lastly you can make some homemade dog repellent and put it in a squirt gun and spray them if/when they get too close.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm

25 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The dog situation here is just ridiculous, not only strays but dogs at houses as well.

Saturday coming back from big C, past a house that has 2 bloody big boxer-type dogs.

Normally when i pass they run along the fence line barking at me, on saturday the gate was open, woman standing there on her phone.

Dogs went straight for me, now as i can only get 16ks out of my scooter i cant outrun them.

Buggers trying to jump at my arm/legs, i did everything i could to avoid them.

Woman just carried on talking on her phone, and did nothing, luckily for me a pickup came along, driver saw what was happening and drove at the dogs, forcing them away.

Driver ( neighour of mine) and i both tried speaking to the woman and she just walked away.

Is there a plan?

Get your wife to talk to her, otherwise it's curtains (or rat poison) for the dogs?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Is there a plan?

Get your wife to talk to her, otherwise it's curtains (or rat poison) for the dogs?

No point wife talking to her, mentioned the incident to my wife, oh her wife says, nobody like her.

That lady break many marriage, she goes after married men, has fun them bye bye, i will not go her home.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No point wife talking to her, mentioned the incident to my wife, oh her wife says, nobody like her.

That lady break many marriage, she goes after married men, has fun them bye bye, i will not go her home.

Looks like practising your aim with a catapult and poison in hamburger meat then.

Becareful Col, you could be next on her list, I've seen your photo and you've got that young George Formby look about you! Can be pretty irresistible to the ladies!

[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

The stick works for me...never break stride...just drag it along the ground when approached by an aggressive dog.

Don't expect any help from owners or bystanders...

So far, for me when cycling I find that shouting at them aggressively makes them run off. Until tomorrow that it is, when I'll no doubt be posting from a hospital bed.

47 minutes ago, bbko said:

Most Soi dogs are all bark and no bite when it comes to adults,  many joggers and walkers around my area seem to carry lightweight sticks. 

If they are really aggressive get a Thai to help you file a complaint at the local Tessibann office. 

Lazada sells dog repellent devices online;

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=dog+repellent&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1342719cDR7Odk

Lastly you can make some homemade dog repellent and put it in a squirt gun and spray them if/when they get too close.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm

Those Chinese dog repellents are useless, they actually make some dogs bark more and good luck trying to get a Thai to make a complaint to the Tessibann office, it would be useless anyway. We had them round up soi dogs on the estate a few years ago- they just dumped them all up the road! Mass culling is what is needed not tinkering and ignoring the problem until a rabies outbreak or kids get killed.

Yep, had same experince dogs are used to cars/scooter zooming by, or people walking...Thais just don't really jog in house areas so that foot pounding/scraping sound just sets them off.

About to get a battery for my high frequency dog ear zapper device as I've been stuck in a corner a few times...thankfully 95% of Thai dogs are all bark and no bite in house areas for whatever reason....from my exp. anyway.

Running in dog free zones like a park is the most effective way of avoiding dogs. In public places, very difficult, if you feign aggression it only excites the animals and as soon as your back is turned they are on you again. If they are pets avoid the area, if they are street dogs it should be possible to have them quietly put down. I complained to the Veterinary faculty about aggressive dogs which had occupied an area of the University Campus near me and they disappeared.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

6 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its common for thai kids to walking extra miles for going home just to avoid certain streets where aggressive dog dominate the soi.

Why in most other Countries this stray dog issue is nearly non existing ?

Probably because the other countries aren't buddhist, therefore will kill the dogs.

Dogs rarely harm anybody but they like to bark or follow a stranger seen running. Try walking along your jogging route everyday for a week or so being friendly to the dogs you see, offering your hand for them to sniff (dogs way of saying good morning) speaking gently to them, maybe bring along a few treats for them, after that you should have no problems. Being aggressive towards them won't help, violence begets violence.

50 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So far, for me when cycling I find that shouting at them aggressively makes them run off. Until tomorrow that it is, when I'll no doubt be posting from a hospital bed.

Walking along a beach road...had an aggressive dog stalking me...turned and shouted at him...in seconds was surrounded by snarling barking dogs...made a hasty retreat to the otherside of the road...dogs were satisfied...dodged a bullet on that one...

Just a thought, anyone ever gone the opposite of being aggressive towards the dogs?  I always see soi dogs in my area getting food dropped off by Thais and the dogs are never aggressive towards them, in fact they are all happy and tails are wagging.  Maybe bring some leftover rice and food and offer it to the dogs, after a few days of this, they might be happy to see you approaching. 

23 minutes ago, bbko said:

Just a thought, anyone ever gone the opposite of being aggressive towards the dogs?  I always see soi dogs in my area getting food dropped off by Thais and the dogs are never aggressive towards them, in fact they are all happy and tails are wagging.  Maybe bring some leftover rice and food and offer it to the dogs, after a few days of this, they might be happy to see you approaching. 

It would certainly help if you run a certain traject all the time. Dogs will start to trust you and respond to kindness. This works with 90% of the dogs but takes time. 

4 minutes ago, downunder66 said:

Go to a gym ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wow what an amazing suggestion, what about people who live in areas where there are no gyms?

Or people like me, who only have 1 way to get out to the shops, and cannot walk.

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Wow what an amazing suggestion, what about people who live in areas where there are no gyms?

Or people like me, who only have 1 way to get out to the shops, and cannot walk.

Legally, go to the Tessaban and complain. Otherwise its all up to you and just make sure your not caught. I have no problems with dogs, own one myself. But here in the village things are ok no real dog problem, might be totally different in other places as a lot of people seem to have dog problems.

thailand.  don't run.  you want to run, another country.  

don't drive either.  definitely not a motorbike.

if you must, run around your room for 2 hours..... lol

i tried running in CM...absolute disaster, worst.  i don't blame CM, it's simply a horrible running place (unless on trails in the mountains, perhaps).  

i don't go to the desert and then complain about not being able to swim.  

try a new routine.... live above the bar, walk to bar.  if you want to do anything else.....time for a new visa.  lol

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Legally, go to the Tessaban and complain. Otherwise its all up to you and just make sure your not caught. I have no problems with dogs, own one myself. But here in the village things are ok no real dog problem, might be totally different in other places as a lot of people seem to have dog problems.

Well i cannot go to the Tessaban, due to the amount of stairs, and get the wife to complain, ha ha ha hell would freeze over first.

In our village no problem with dogs, but i have to go through the next village going out, due to it not being safe for me to go on the main highway on my scooter.

Archived