My daily run is turning into a daily dogs avoidance

cooked

Dogs will respond if you turn and act in a threatening manner. Usually they will tuck their tail between their leg and turn away. They will almost always yield to the "bigger, meaner" dog, so you have to be that dog.

I walk/jog along a route that has a couple packs of wild soi dogs on it. Usually it's no problem but once in awhile one dog will start barking and chasing me and sometimes a couple others will join. The one causing the problem will often try to get behind me and make like it's going for my Achilles (just like how they take down prey in the wild).

Usually I can just look back, point my finger at the aggressive one and shout "back" (or something else) and it will back off. A couple times over the last couple of months I've actually had to turn around and take a step towards the dog and that usually sends them all scurrying away. They may keep barking for awhile - from a safe distance but I've found that for the next few days at least, they don't try getting aggressive again.

I learned how to deal with dogs back when I was 9 and some neighbours kids tried siccing their St Bernard on me. Frikken huge dog came running at me and I had no where to go so I tried to punch it in the nose. However, it had just opened it's mouth to bite me and my fist went down it's throat. It couldn't bite and it couldn't breath and a couple seconds later it was on the ground whimpering. I pulled my fist out and it ran back to it's home with it's tail between it's legs. Neighbour kids were pissed off but they didn't have any balls without their huge dog so that ended it.

If you even encounter a dog, or pack of dogs, that doesn't back down in such a situation, then they need to be put down permanently. In a hurry. 

If they won't back down to a larger, aggressive human, a child would have no chance against them.

I'd find someone who speaks Thai and go straight to the police in that case. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all my running life has involved dog mitigation strategies.

early morning runs can be scary when running into big dogs,

late night runs also get scary

little dogs are just badly trained, you know the sort , spoiled and taught they are dominant to humans.

that was in the west of course

in Thailand I start throwing stones or grab a stick before it happens, rabies is more prevalent here and there is no legal way to deal with them.

throw a rock or two, make them heavier and harder, the dogs run hopefully, 

as an animal lover i hate coming to violent exchnages but tis the same with humans

you must defend yourself in any way you see fit

3 minutes ago, manchega said:

all my running life has involved dog mitigation strategies.

early morning runs can be scary when running into big dogs,

late night runs also get scary

little dogs are just badly trained, you know the sort , spoiled and taught they are dominant to humans.

that was in the west of course

in Thailand I start throwing stones or grab a stick before it happens, rabies is more prevalent here and there is no legal way to deal with them.

throw a rock or two, make them heavier and harder, the dogs run hopefully, 

as an animal lover i hate coming to violent exchnages but tis the same with humans

you must defend yourself in any way you see fit

I think if i were you i would buy one of those electric prods and use it for a few days that may straighten them out.

8 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Gotcha. Last resort? At least have something that can be brought to hand quickly. 

I used to run a lot in the Middle East - Oman. Same problem with Jebel dogs. My then wife bought me a small gas powered rape alarm. I tucked it into my watch strap and it worked perfectly. a 1/2 second burst was always sufficient. Dogs didn't like it one little bit.

Bonus? - I never got raped, either!

3 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

I used to run a lot in the Middle East - Oman. Same problem with Jebel dogs. My then wife bought me a small gas powered rape alarm. I tucked it into my watch strap and it worked perfectly. a 1/2 second burst was always sufficient. Dogs didn't like it one little bit.

great idea or better yet get one of those foghorns attached to a compressed air bottle...

Feign picking up a stone. All Thai dogs what that means.... Then just run by keeping 1/2 an eye over your shoulder.

Chuck a few dog biscuits in their direction. They will forget about you.

I also run sometimes in a group. Dogs only seem to bark at the guys carrying sticks. Talk to them in a calm voice... the dogs not the guys with sticks. 

If you smell of a dog it also helps....

54 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

You were lucky. 

I was bitten TWICE by a large pet dog on my street while riding my motorcycle. He darts out suddenly from the open gate and sinks his teeth into my leg. Rabies shots once, stitches twice. Talking politely to the owner accomplished nothing. 

I fantasized about shooting the ugly bastard (the dog, not the owner), but settled on a water pistol. I put a good bit of ammonia in the water. 

All it took was one squirt. Very unpleasant for the dog, but it’s harmless. The dog now runs away when he hears my chopper.

A small victory, but a satisfying one.  

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

Water Pistol, works for me with neighbour dog, it hates water.

Mixed with ammonia works even better but dogs have long memories. Rather be a friend than a water squirting enemy. Bending down in a pretense to pet them also sends them running.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Mixed with ammonia works even better but dogs have long memories. Rather be a friend than a water squirting enemy. Bending down in a pretense to pet them also sends them running.

You have come up with a few ideas, pretending to throw stones, bending down to pet them.

Totally useless for me, as i cannot bend down, only useful suggestion on here so far is the bamboo stick, which is something i will have to carry with me.

7 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You have come up with a few ideas, pretending to throw stones, bending down to pet them.

Totally useless for me, as i cannot bend down, only useful suggestion on here so far is the bamboo stick, which is something i will have to carry with me.

I thought Ben Doon was a Scottish dentist, a partner with Phil McCavity.

11 hours ago, cooked said:

WHAT do you guys do about dogs?

Dogs and the sun don't bother me as I run indoors.

Invest about 35,000 baht and buy yourself a good treadmill on special, when I say a good one, I mean a good one, the one I purchased Spirit  CS-ST 2500 from City sports store was 89,000 baht when I first saw it and although it said it was on special for 62,000 baht, I asked the guy what the best cash price he would take, he went away, came back and said his manager said 40,000 baht, I said 35,000 baht delivered, he went back and forward on the phone a few times and they eventually came to my terms, delivered and set up for 35k baht.

Best to use as soon as you get out of bed if your looking to burn fat, 10 speed and 10 incline, you won't regret it and when it's rain season, you can watch the rain from the window ????

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

They dont like water pistols, always worked for me, doesnt do them any harm either,

Or a bottle of water, take the cap off and flick it, works too. ????

I recently replaced the shaft of a golf club. The old, unused shaft is too short, won't he used for a golf club again. It's graphite, weighs next to nothing. PM me and we'll see about mailing it to you. I bet you'd never need to hit a dog; they'll scatter as soon as they see you're prepared. I'm a cyclist, so I sympathize.

Yeah, road running/biking is a real drag here.  Traffic, house dogs unattended and packs of soi dogs.  Lived in a village for 4 years and venturing out onto the highway wasn't enjoyable or safe, and the back roads was like rolling the dice on the potential dog hazard, so I used a stationary bike and a treadmill instead. 

Since then, moved closer into the city/suburb area and found an undeveloped area in a very large, neighboring moo baan near my house.  The concrete roads are in but only a few houses built so far, so it's wide open and there are no dogs.   I knock out at least 20km per day on my push bike, most of it done there.  Thankfully, the 2.2km route I take to get there, and back, has quite a few dogs but only 2 chasers.  Instead of going faster and yelling at them, I began stopping and talking to them, and they run away into the bushes with their tails between their legs.  The other mangy soi dogs along my route are completely disinterested, which is nice.

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So far, for me when cycling I find that shouting at them aggressively makes them run off. Until tomorrow that it is, when I'll no doubt be posting from a hospital bed.

I've been to emergency because of dogs while biking. I bike 30km everyday and have rocks in my pocket, pepper spray, and a 70cm piece of rebar mounted on my bike. At least 2 or 3 times a week l have to deal with these dogs. I don't try to outrun. I stop and make a lot of noise and threaten them with rocks. Sometimes l have to throw. Last week a pack of around 10 dogs were attacking a smaller dog! I turned around . I didn't want to chance being their next victim. I find when one comes at me, it"s barking attracts others. Soon you are dealing with 2 or 3. And yes , the owners in their yards turn around as if nothing is happening.

11 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Wee one. Light. I did see Air Pistol mentioned. 

Cannot buy air pistols in Thailand, and these pistols that fire these small yellow balls are useless, they

only last a short time then stop working.

My unscientific observation is dogs react to the movement, and many seem to zone in on the turning wheel, or on my foot moving the pedal around.  Stopping seems to snap them out of their trance.

Others seem to be instinct, protecting their territory - be it the area in front of their owners house to a certain limit on either end, or a loose pack of soi dogs who've adopted an open area.

A lot of the dogs I know to be chasers pay no attention to me when I ride by on my motorbike.

Go past on my push bike, they lose their minds.

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So far, for me when cycling I find that shouting at them aggressively makes them run off. Until tomorrow that it is, when I'll no doubt be posting from a hospital bed.

I have battered two dogs with big stones, I always carry them in the bikes basket, enough to make them yelp, in the last three months for attacking me while riding my bike, I have not seen them since.

Dogs must be treated like people, if they attack you unprovoked, then you defend yourself and do them as much harm as you can.

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its common for thai kids to walking extra miles for going home just to avoid certain streets where aggressive dog dominate the soi.

Why in most other Countries this stray dog issue is nearly non existing ?

Because Thais don`t CARE.
Are you all aware of the law in Thailand says ALL (<deleted>...ing) dogs, strays OR not, is OBLIGATED to be in leash, 12 month a year?
I have "taken out" an rather "high number" of this problems with my cars and big bikes during all my years in this country, but never been bothered to stop one single time, because i KNOW the beast should be leashed, AND i would NEVER get ONE bath from the Thai "owner" for the damage on my vehicles anyway! 

Archived