My daily run is turning into a daily dogs avoidance

cooked

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Where do you get ball bearings? I have a good catapult but need ammunition, not

for dogs, but for pigeons.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/repair-bicycle-35-mm-diameter-silver-tone-stainless-steel-ball-bearing-1100-pcs-i234038749-s358927084.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.11.371e5289Vo1ysV&search=1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have battered two dogs with big stones, I always carry them in the bikes basket, enough to make them yelp, in the last three months for attacking me while riding my bike, I have not seen them since.

Dogs must be treated like people, if they attack you unprovoked, then you defend yourself and do them as much harm as you can.

Fear and pain compliance from the Alpha.  You'll always have an enemy though.

Stopping has worked for me so far for the house dogs.  I speak to them in Thai, call them over repeatedly, they don't know what to make of that, won't even come near me for a rawhide dog treat I offered a couple times.  Took a few weeks but my daily chaser seems to have gotten used to me passing by everyday.  His body flinches, he's ready to get up and give chase but seems to recognize me now.  His expression body language seems to say, "Oh it's that guy again, never mind", and goes back to sleep. 

8 hours ago, puukao said:

thailand.  don't run.  you want to run, another country.  

don't drive either.  definitely not a motorbike.

if you must, run around your room for 2 hours..... lol

i tried running in CM...absolute disaster, worst.  i don't blame CM, it's simply a horrible running place (unless on trails in the mountains, perhaps).  

i don't go to the desert and then complain about not being able to swim.  

try a new routine.... live above the bar, walk to bar.  if you want to do anything else.....time for a new visa.  lol

I used to live oposite the CM convention centre, it and the track leading towards 700 Year Old Stadium were actually great for running with no dog issues, though there were a few that hung about. I ran there every evening and often during the day as well.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its common for thai kids to walking extra miles for going home just to avoid certain streets where aggressive dog dominate the soi.

Why in most other Countries this stray dog issue is nearly non existing ?

You mean drive a motorbike an extra mile.

11 hours ago, bbko said:

Most Soi dogs are all bark and no bite when it comes to adults,  many joggers and walkers around my area seem to carry lightweight sticks. 

If they are really aggressive get a Thai to help you file a complaint at the local Tessibann office. 

Lazada sells dog repellent devices online;

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=dog+repellent&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home.search.go.1342719cDR7Odk

Lastly you can make some homemade dog repellent and put it in a squirt gun and spray them if/when they get too close.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to-make-homemade-dog-repellent.htm

Don't bet your life that these little savages won't bite.!

Children have been killed and crippled by the feral animals. 

Standing up to them; showing no fear can get you torn up leg tendons.

Talking to the owners can get get you nowhere. The cops are not interested when people murder people; they are less interested when a farang gets upset about being chased by dogs.

When I lived in Mae Sai and rode a scooter there from C.M., I used to carry rocks on the scooter. That helped - throwing a rock gets the dogs attention and riding at them can cow one or more of them and it only takes once to cow one of them into submission.

Also I used to carry a staff when jogging or walking. But it is better to hit one than just wave the stick at them.

And there is rat poison. Of course no one would really set out poison in some cooked chicken left out with the trash. No, better to let the animals tear childfren apart, and go on tearing them apart as they get away with it.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

The dog situation here is just ridiculous, not only strays but dogs at houses as well.

Saturday coming back from big C, past a house that has 2 bloody big boxer-type dogs.

Normally when i pass they run along the fence line barking at me, on saturday the gate was open, woman standing there on her phone.

Dogs went straight for me, now as i can only get 16ks out of my scooter i cant outrun them.

Buggers trying to jump at my arm/legs, i did everything i could to avoid them.

Woman just carried on talking on her phone, and did nothing, luckily for me a pickup came along, driver saw what was happening and drove at the dogs, forcing them away.

Driver ( neighour of mine) and i both tried speaking to the woman and she just walked away.

Some owners think it’s amusing for their dog to attack people.

Years ago when we first arrived in Thailand I used to cycle past a house where the dog used to run out and become aggressive, the owners thought it amusing and did nothing.

I got sick of this and dug out an English police sergeant’s stick a friend gave me years before.

The next time it attacked me the steel tip connected with the dog’s nose and it never troubled me again

Interestingly the owners didn’t find it amusing on that occasion.

I have Jack Rusell terriers but they don’t roam the streets and the only people they would attack would be someone who shouldn’t be on our property.

I use these OP.

https://www.amazon.com/Guard-Dog-TLSG-GDD4500F-Flashlight-Rechargeable/dp/B005EOD6JE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1551181114&sr=8-2&keywords=flashlight+with+electric+shock

Works AWESOME!. a few zaps on the nose when they start to mess with you and all is done. The Soi dogs I used to see on my bicycle ride never even move now. These things pack a punch. I zapped one one day and it ran yelping. 

14 hours ago, Snow Leopard said:

Wee one. Light. I did see Air Pistol mentioned. 

You only need a small one - no worse than carrying a pepper spray. A water pistol with water vinegar mix works better than a pepper spray.

Hi ,

I run early mornings and tend to vary my routes , often pestered by dogs. I have found that taking my bike front lamp and having it on flash mode as I run dazzles any dogs that come bounding at me in a threatening manner and also allows me to run without breaking my stride. This is the lamp that I use , it is really small and easy to carry , USB chargeable.

A4F8B93A-D2B2-40ED-8821-2F1A3D1EE96F.jpeg

16 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Yep, had same experince dogs are used to cars/scooter zooming by, or people walking...Thais just don't really jog in house areas so that foot pounding/scraping sound just sets them off.

About to get a battery for my high frequency dog ear zapper device as I've been stuck in a corner a few times...thankfully 95% of Thai dogs are all bark and no bite in house areas for whatever reason....from my exp. anyway.

I know it's an example number but even if 95% of dogs wouldn't bite then on a run, I would still get probably 20 that would bite me then given that every 50 meters or so there is another pack of dog protecting "their territory"

personally, I would find a strong water gun, mix some ammonia and dump a few hot peppers in the ammonia/water tank and whatever would make them regret getting it in their face.

when I lived up North, the girl I was living with at the time had her shoes torn apart and she thought it was a dog (or cat).. It was taken overnight from the outside (but upstairs) part of the house we were renting and 99% of the time the little gate was closed

she was livid, got some powder somewhere, it was some kind of pesticide if i understood correctly.. all I remember is it smelled bad and seemed to attract flies.

she put that in chicken in a little bag and left that outside.  next day I found a cat had went for the chicken and made it only about 20 meters before dying while trying to get out of the property, halfway under main gate.

cat was totally rigid and foaming at the mouth

just buy the ultasonic dog zappers from aliexprees or maybe lazada......its not going to leave any lasting harm to the dogs and every time they see it being pulled out your pocket, they are conditioned to run away...the other simple trick is to bend down to the ground like you have picked up a stone and hold the 'stone' behind your head...they will run if you do the stone throwing hand jerk (haha).

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

I'll be ridiculed for this but:-

If a sonic dog zapper cannot be heard by people how do they know it isn't 'going off' in their pocket & how do they know when the battery is flat?

Its actually a good question, maybe those zappers have small leds on them to show they are working. But its a concern of course as it might not work.

INCREDIBLY PERFECT SOLUTION

I had the same problem. 

I bought this flashlight / shock stick on Lazada. 

It creates a fat blue visible spark when activated. Flashlight works well too. 

The best part is that dogs absolutely hate the sound. Listen to the video. One short burst and they turn tail without even getting within 10feet of me. They remember it too, and actively avoid me after the first encounter.

I know the dogs see the arc but I suspect that the electric arc produces a lot of energy at ultrasonic frequencies that the dogs can hear well. Worse comes to worse a light touch will surely send them yelping. The sound alone seems to hold some intinctive danger for them. 

Now I carry it wrapped in a small towel with just the end exposed. The burst is so short that the local people seldom notice it so I avoid any ill will from them. Just be sure to not let the sweaty towel touch the end of the unit while you're holding it or you'll get a taste of how well it works. 

The unit is rechargeable and comes with its own battery internally. 

Cost was around $8 only. 

I am a dog lover and really like this solution much better than the ghoulish things the dog haters here feel justified in offering. 

This is humane, extremely effective, low cost, lightweight, useful as a flashlight at night, and long lasting.

The dogs don't seem to be vengeful either; they just choose to avoid you from then on. It has never failed to stop them immediately in their tracks.

I very strongly recommend it. 

20190302_092253.jpg

20190302_092304.jpg

20190302_092423.jpg

Archived