My daily run is turning into a daily dogs avoidance

cooked

On 2/27/2019 at 9:40 AM, evadgib said:

I'll be ridiculed for this but:-

If a sonic dog zapper cannot be heard by people how do they know it isn't 'going off' in their pocket & how do they know when the battery is flat?

Cos it's got a little lamp on top that glows red when it's zapping,it's there so you know it's working and when it's time to change the battery and it's got a clip to attach it to your belt or waistband.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, adammike said:

Cos it's got a little lamp on top that glows red when it's zapping,it's there so you know it's working and when it's time to change the battery and it's got a clip to attach it to your belt or waistband.

How effective are the zappers?

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:09 PM, Mavideol said:

When I do my walks/runs and usually I face them by shouting loud and if they come closer a kick in their balls (males) or belly (females) and they run away, so far so good

Sure.  If a dog is attacking you it will be too quick to let you get into position to kick it in the balls, It would also latch onto you leg before you had time to do anything.

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:58 AM, freedomnow said:

just buy the ultasonic dog zappers from aliexprees or maybe lazada......its not going to leave any lasting harm to the dogs and every time they see it being pulled out your pocket, they are conditioned to run away...the other simple trick is to bend down to the ground like you have picked up a stone and hold the 'stone' behind your head...they will run if you do the stone throwing hand jerk (haha).

The ultrasonic dog zappers do not work.  Have you actually had experience with a pack of aggressive dogs attacking you and you using a ultrasonic dog zapper?  

Also if you bend down to the ground with your hands behind you back when 10 or more angry wild dogs are running at you out in the back streets or forest you are making yourself easy pickings for them.

I am sorry, but I doubt you have ever had a dangerous confrontation with aggressive dogs here.

A free tip; don't!  Doing the same routes every day, and the dogs will remember you and will not bother you.

Doing the same runs doesn’t work for me as I am for a good part of the year marathon training, and that involves different runs over varying distances , with usually increasingly longer runs at the weekend up to 35km , but even if not in training , I don’t think running the same route every day would work for me , I would need something different to stay interested, but thanks for the tip anyway[emoji1322]‍♂️[emoji1322]‍♂️[emoji1322]‍♂️

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

The ultrasonic dog zappers do not work.  Have you actually had experience with a pack of aggressive dogs attacking you and you using a ultrasonic dog zapper?  

Also if you bend down to the ground with your hands behind you back when 10 or more angry wild dogs are running at you out in the back streets or forest you are making yourself easy pickings for them.

I am sorry, but I doubt you have ever had a dangerous confrontation with aggressive dogs here.

Well regarding the stone method, multiple times at a distance where you can bend down..I have.

Just depends on the grade/strength of the zapper doesn't it ?

22 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

a kick in the mid section works every time, but you need to be serious about it... If you're not breaking ribs your not trying hard enough

This is unrealistic method.  If someone has several dogs attacking them they won't have time to stand back and aim a hard kick at the side of the dog... mostly as the dog will be facing them head first when its going to bite and running / lunging at a fast speed.  

2 hours ago, johng said:

@RocketDog you forget the link to lazada so we can buy the
"Incredibly perfect solution"

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.M31O

You can also use the search term show at the top of the attached photo to see other units similar. 

I'm very pleased with the solid feel, aluminum body, easy 220VAC charging, and violent blue arc and terrifying sound.

I have no doubt this would give a human attacker second thoughts as well. I willing to bet you a 6 pack of beer that you'll jump the first time you see the arc. 

I carry it in the car when we go on road trips around Thailand too. Next best thing to having a gun in my opinion. Screenshot_20190302-182611_Lazada.thumb.jpg.700266aa727f159bfd4f286633f7c8de.jpg

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:15 PM, cooked said:

Pepper spray (which I don't like the idea of, and don't know where to buy)

Nam prik in a water pistol works a treat. For extra effect carry a stick with a chilli tied inside out on the end of it. Ram it up the pack leader's jacksey. They'll never come near you again.

57 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Nam prik in a water pistol works a treat. For extra effect carry a stick with a chilli tied inside out on the end of it. Ram it up the pack leader's jacksey. They'll never come near you again.

I would use a small plastic bottle that had dishwashing liquid in, instead of a water pistol,still doesn't deal with the dog problem,the zappers do have a warning that they don't work on trained attack dogs and once a pack have got a taste of blood you have a problem,the report of the boy attacked in Phuket said that even after the dogs were beaten off they were still trying to get to the boy as he was being carried away.one dog you have a chance but not with a pack. 

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

Go to a bicycle repair shop.

You can buy them on Lazada too but find them pretty expensive to use for ammo. Then again, I'm not a very good shot! 

I buy a bag of glass marbles at the local ฿20 Shop as I call it. They work well for me chasing local cows out of my garden and I derive tremendous pleasure from seeing them jump when hit! 

8 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Well regarding the stone method, multiple times at a distance where you can bend down..I have.

Just depends on the grade/strength of the zapper doesn't it ?

Maybe, but I think the ultrasonic 'pest repellers' are just marketing. I don't find them effective at all for insects, rodents, dogs or cats. 

However, the electric arc zapper I mentioned in this forum definitely scares the crap out of dogs and cats. 

I haven't tried it on rats or mossies though????

6 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

!Maybe, but I think the ultrasonic 'pest repellers' are just marketing. I don't find them effective at all for insects, rodents, dogs or cats. 

They are all a complete con, and whenever objective tests are done simply don't work.

A bit of thought will tell you why.

Just because a sound can't be heard by humans doesn't make it "special" in any way. It's just a noise.  Dogs can hear shouting, which we can also hear.  So there is no difference in shouting at a dog to "repel" it than using ultrasonic noise. It's just marketing, relying on people thinking it's very special because we don't happen to be able to hear it.

You'd be more successful switching on a vacuum cleaner, and this wouldn't work on an attacking dog either.

Just now, partington said:

They are all a complete con, and whenever objective tests are done simply don't work.

A bit of thought will tell you why.

Just because a sound can't be heard by humans doesn't make it "special" in any way. It's just a noise.  Dogs can hear shouting, which we can also hear.  So there is no difference in shouting at a dog to "repel" it than using ultrasonic noise. It's just marketing, relying on people thinking it's very special because we don't happen to be able to hear it.

You'd be more successful switching on a vacuum cleaner, and this wouldn't work on an attacking dog either.

Heartily agreed. I used to design ultrasonic transducers for measuring water distances to a water surface, 1-2m. The crystals I used were ~3cm diameter and were driven by a high voltage source. 

Not a lot of power, 1-2w, but not  a pocket size thing at all and such crystals are fairly expensive items. Google barium titinate crystals for ultrasonic. 

I agree that the vendors are relying on the relative ignorance of the general public. Sure, we all know dogs hear higher sounds than we do, but don't know how much power it takes to be crucially annoying to a pest. Also, ultrasonic are very directional intrinsically, just like audio speakers are for humans. 

I do suspect however that an ultrasonic emitter of sufficient power would drive dogs crazy if pointed directly at them. 

If we could only harness the screech heard from many young Thai women I know the dogs would flee. They certainly make me cover my ears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful of Rabies, a few years ago deepin a isaan village I decided to walk around one early afternoon, the village was quiet being a weekday afternoon and i headed out on my walk, passing the occassional lazy dog laying in the shade.

A few low barks as i walked past but they soon went back to sleep.

I went to the local temple looking at the graves , I then decided to go back to my friends house about a 10 minute walk only to have a group of dogs outside on the road barking madly as I approached, these were all types and some were that angry they were dripping spit from their mouth, vicious angry barking, 

so in a split second i decided to pretend to hide and went twards another exit only to see another group of dogs waiting for me barking madly one foaming at the mouth .

i decided to run and i could hear them chase me as i ran into a temple

I ran in and the buddha statutes stared at me as i ran in, however the dogs unbelievable did not enter past the entrance.

About 10 dogs barking madly staring at me from the open doorway but not one entered !

A few monks heard the commotion and came from a house out the back.

For some reason the dogs left immediately as he approached.

To cut a long story short he drove me in a sidecar on a motorbike past the dogs at high speed, the ones foaming at the mouth tried in extreme vicious anger to climb aboard and tried to bite me as we were driving.

i have never seen a pack of dogs so vicious and angry

Apparently they were street wild dogs and i can assure you some had rabies 

i wanted to go back and poisin them but was talked out of it

• 6 months later...

As a Post Scriptum to all this (I was the OP), I eventually DID get bitten a few weeks ago. Not painful, but some bleeding and bruising.

But as my last rabies shot was 8 years old I went to the hospital and started a series of "Speeda"

So that's 

฿1800.- consultation and first shot (same day)

4 repeat shots at 3, 7, 14 and 28 days at ฿400.- a go.

Apart from warding dogs off, the first thing to do for anybody running / jogging near dogs should be to get rabies shots at your leisure (and entailing only 3 shots I believe) beforehand. 

The dog that bit me probably didn't have rabies but had puppies so I guess I got to near too to its territory while I didn't have a stick. It has since disappeared.

Archived