People injured after car smashes into parked motorbikes on Pattaya Beach Road

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Benroon said:

I would genuinely be interested in links to back that up - the guy I quoted that retired on 14000 WAS a captain - I've also just seen a link that suggests entry level coppers are on 6000 !!!

Entry level can not be 6000 when minimum wage is 9900????

link you saw is most likely from 2015.

i have a few “friends “ police. One is captain, has his own office with AC he is on 25000, never out on the road , unless major drug bust or murder.

another one is sub LT, youngish guy, he is out on his bike all day long , he is on 12000.

the one on 12000 makes more monthly than the captain in donations and gratitudes but he also spends a lot more on gas, I think he mentioned  about 2000 baht per week on gas.

still as you said , without the “donations” police can not survive on its wage but giving just 5000 increases per month would cost government an additional 15 billion per annum so it is what it is and will remain so

...considering that there is no mention of nationality....

...shall we conclude that it was a Thai driver...???

...if a foreigner it will be splattered on the front pages....to foment hatred......???

...then ...on top of that...we get accused of racism...???

I can remember drinking in a Thai karaoke club on 3rd Road a few years ago. About midnight, there was a huge crashing and banging outside. Everyone ran out of the club to see 15 bikes that had gone down like dominos and a food cart, complete with gas bottle, on fire. Caused by a drunken French guy who had ploughed into the line of bikes. Much more carnage than in the OP.

The only person injured was the French guy, who was initially uninjured too. He leapt out of his car, and legged it. Several young Thais, the owners of the bikes, gave chase, caught him and kicked the living daylights out of him. Carted off to hospital, unconscious.

10 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That 14000 will probably supplemented with another 14000 when the tea money get's added.????

he must be VERY  low  ranking then  ie  bog  basic  as here the plod who visits  us and is  not high up at  all get 20k a  month and  free  health care also for him and all his  family + pension later

17 hours ago, webfact said:

smashes into parked motorbikes

I often get the urge to do the same!  Ignorant and chaotic parking by motorcyclists is rampant.  I have often been legally parked and have left the required space, front and back, to permit exiting only to return to find the spaces occupied by a motorcycle.  No consideration!

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Thankfully no one was killed. The Fortuna seems to have faired the worse. That's seems a lot of damage considering it crashed into some motorbikes. 

The text indicates that the Fortuna was badly damaged prior to crashing. Doesn’t anyone that writes English for a living possess education in the written word?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The incident took place at around 11am on Tuesday morning.

Something unusual happened to me last night.  I was confronted by a Thai policeman at 9.30pm!  Yes it was dark.  Yes he was still 'working'.

I had followed a minibus along Beach Road.  It had no lights on.  I flashed him repeatedly to remind him he had forgotten to turn on his lights.  Eventually I caught up with him at Klang/2nd road lights.  I sounded my horn to attract his attention.  That was when the zealous cop scurried out of his box.  He had taken offence at my sounding my horn during the hours of darkness!  I pointed out the bus with no lights.  My GF explained why.  His retort?  'Up to him!!!!'  I replied it was up to the cop to do his job.  Then the lights changed and I drove off.

56 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I often get the urge to do the same!  Ignorant and chaotic parking by motorcyclists is rampant.  I have often been legally parked and have left the required space, front and back, to permit exiting only to return to find the spaces occupied by a motorcycle.  No consideration!

Hardly peculiar to motorcycles, how often have I been held up by someone double parked on Klang in a car or SUV! The kerbside lanes of Sukhumvit are parking for those grabbing some noodles or repairing vehicles! But yes the dozens of bikes at the Beach Rd ends of Soi 13/2 or 13/3 have been an issue for decades.

19 hours ago, atyclb said:

those parked bikes serve a purpose providing seating for beach road freelancers otherwise too lazy to stand.

too lazy to stand does not otherwise bode well for aptitude in energy consuming activities i might add 

On 2/26/2019 at 6:59 PM, possum1931 said:

They also get free doctor and hospital treatment for their parents, I know, my bother in law is BiB.

Ehh, is there ANY native Thai that don`t get free doctor / hospital?
My father in law is actually in hospital right now, and has been MANY times, always free.

On 2/26/2019 at 7:00 PM, BestB said:

You are correct, if police would have been paid properly and equipped they would be working differently but when they are low paid plus require to purchase all police equipment with their own money , plus buy their own vehicles and gas, what do you expect but curruption. 

NOT correct at all!
They are supplied with uniformed patrol cars, both local and High Way police, 
Not long ago i read that police dept in JUST Pattaya had purchased a quite high number of brand new bikes for use by the city police.
Pls put an ounce of truth in your post... 

14 minutes ago, pellets said:

Ehh, is there ANY native Thai that don`t get free doctor / hospital?
My father in law is actually in hospital right now, and has been MANY times, always free.

I am only going by what my wife told me about 13 years ago, maybe things have changed now.

Maybe some other poster will know, does every Thai get free hospital treatment? I know they have a scheme that when they go to see a doctor they pay 30Bt.

23 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I am only going by what my wife told me about 13 years ago, maybe things have changed now.

Maybe some other poster will know, does every Thai get free hospital treatment? I know they have a scheme that when they go to see a doctor they pay 30Bt.

Yes, correct.
That changed some yrs ago, but i do not remember exact HOW many.
My wife say now that the elderly have an "one time fee" for a "Gold Card" which cost 30 bath.
Younger Thais have - as you mentioned - an 30 bath fee for each visit.
THIS is here in Isaan, near the Cambodian border.
Maybe different rules other parts of the Kingdom? 

Archived