Suggest quiet house water pump

zeekgarcia

We have the local water supply and a water tank and then hitachi wm-p150gx2 water pump on our single level house.

www.homeappliances.hitachi.com/th/th/products/water-pump/shallow-well-compact/wm-p150gx2.html

This pump works fine but its just noisy when operating and am wondering if anyone knows of a good quality quieter operating water pump. Thanks

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe they all stop on overheat.  But best to have large enough holding tank to avoid any normal running dry.

Ok thanks.. Our water supply to holding tanks (2000l) is a bit sporadic during summer months and not an automated process so often runs empty..

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Believe they all stop on overheat.  But best to have large enough holding tank to avoid any normal running dry.

Or install a low level cut-out float switch - solves the problem. 

I've only tried two brands of typical house water pump - Mitsubishi and Hitachi.  First Hitachi I tried, seem to remember thinking it had a higher pitch turbo-whine sound compared to the Mitsu pumps I had previously. 

Unrelated to noise, had a patch of trouble with the first Hitachi (constant pressure) pump I tried, the impeller shaft sheared clean off from the impeller - discovered by opening the housing cover to trouble shoot, the impeller fell out into my hand.  After some drama between the Hitachi agent and Global House manager, Hitachi agent gave me a new replacement off the shelf, and that impeller shaft broke as well.  On return to Global, Agent told me he'd gotten several returns for the same issue, tracking back to a defect with material/manufacture process.  He gave me a 3rd replacement pump, no issues, still going strong a few years later.  

I made a conscious shift to constant pressure pumps, currently using Mitsubishi again, no problems.   When I turn on a faucet demand in the house (shower, etc), the pump kicks on and stays on, delivering a strong, consistent pressure rather than those annoying high/low pressure variances.

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Noise can also be solenoid slamming home and egg creates do not help much (our neighbor has such but have had to remove a window to get below wake up noise levels).

Most pumps of this type have a non return valve to eliminate water hammer. Which yes will reverberate through the pipes.

Create an Anechoic chamber is what the egg trays will do.

Of course relocating the water pump to outside would also help if it is not already outside.

One problem with this sort of thing is that most of us on here would hear the water pump but not pay much attention. The OP hears it and because he doesn't like it, the thing sounds loud. Same as one's own crying baby or barking dog.

Turn up the telly would be another solution?

Build a pump house, or relocate the pump and storage tank away from your home. All of the constant pressure pumps make noise, regardless of brand. 

I have the same pump OP has (but its the 250) and the noise doesnt bother me. 

I do have the house closed up and the air running most of the time so that probably helps. 

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Grundfos pumps are very quiet and provide excellent water pressure but do cost more - about 16k for below.

image.jpeg.33c1e06d7c532152ff49a506a597fbe0.jpeg

We have one of these, silent in operation and (apart from ants getting in the pressure switch) infinitely reliable since 2011.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:10 PM, VocalNeal said:

Get a large cardboard box and line it with egg trays and put it over the whole pump.

Solved.

Styrofoam would also work but maybe easier to get some egg trays.

If covering the pump ensure you don't cut the airflow required for motor cooling. 

This pump style probably has an overall efficiency of 50 / 60 %, meaning if it's a 500 watt unit, about 200 /250 watt of input power is pumping water the balance is lostin heating the pump, motor, and air - don't cook the motor ????

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 PM, lopburi3 said:

Grundfos pumps are very quiet and provide excellent water pressure but do cost more - about 16k for below.

image.jpeg.33c1e06d7c532152ff49a506a597fbe0.jpeg

We have the same, very quiet, the pulsation damper does its job? Op could put a pressure tank in line, that would limit how often the pump cycles.

I've only tried two brands of typical house water pump - Mitsubishi and Hitachi.  First Hitachi I tried, seem to remember thinking it had a higher pitch turbo-whine sound compared to the Mitsu pumps I had previously. 

Unrelated to noise, had a patch of trouble with the first Hitachi (constant pressure) pump I tried, the impeller shaft sheared clean off from the impeller - discovered by opening the housing cover to trouble shoot, the impeller fell out into my hand.  After some drama between the Hitachi agent and Global House manager, Hitachi agent gave me a new replacement off the shelf, and that impeller shaft broke as well.  On return to Global, Agent told me he'd gotten several returns for the same issue, tracking back to a defect with material/manufacture process.  He gave me a 3rd replacement pump, no issues, still going strong a few years later.  

I made a conscious shift to constant pressure pumps, currently using Mitsubishi again, no problems.   When I turn on a faucet demand in the house (shower, etc), the pump kicks on and stays on, delivering a strong, consistent pressure rather than those annoying high/low pressure variances.

Agree with you! Has anybody else noticed that the staff at Global house pushes the Hitachi pumps over Mitsubishi ? (Higher commission ?)

I was lucky a few years ago when I bought the pump for our old house and overheard a conversation between a Thai engineer and global house sale staff - The engineer said to the guy “older brother is an engineer and this is for my own house not a client’s house” - and he went for the Mitsubishi pump although the sales staff had recommended the Hitachi pump.

Needless to say I also bought the Mitsubishi pump - good pressure never had a problem in 6 years.

I am in the finishing phase of another house right now - We went to Global house to look for a pump - sure enough the sales staff recommended the Hitachi pump

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We have the same, very quiet, the pulsation damper does its job? Op could put a pressure tank in line, that would limit how often the pump cycles.

Our Mitsubishi pump makes a humming noise - not too bad - and we built a little wall around and cover to shield it from sun and rain it is next to the water tank. One can hardly hear it.
Since I am currently looking for a pump for the new house - can I ask - is it really worth it to pay almost 3 times the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Since I am currently looking for a pump for the new house - can I ask - is it really worth it to pay almost 3 times the price?

Yes, as the output/pressure head is considerably higher than "cheaper" pumps, if you work out the extra cost over a five year cycle its 5 Baht a day, to me the extra cost is well worth it. The pump being quite is secondary to me as situated where the sound is not an issue.

1 hour ago, boonrawdcnx said:

As said "up to you".  For us it was to obtain good shower pressure and avoid noise.  We also have extended family so there may be more than a tap or two open.  We used the largest well type pumps for many years and never happy with the highest pressure and the change during showers.  But a caution that if older home with not so good plastic plumbing change may cause leaks when using higher pressures.  Our house from 1975 and we redid plumbing to be on surface and no issues in last 15-20 years of using higher pressure pumps.  

Yup, our house is about 15 years old and I was worried about springing a leak with the stronger pump installed about 6 months ago.  OK so far.  The stronger pressure in the shower is wonderful but had to close the bum gum valves about 75%, it was a bit much.  :shock1:

Archived