TIP - Send overweight luggage with ThaiPost

Peter Denis

When you fly to Suvarnabhumi Airport with an international carrier like Emirates or Etyhad you will normally have 30 kg luggage allowance + 7 kg cabin luggage.  But when you fly on with a domestic carrier like Lion Air, NOK Air, Air Asia or Thai Smile, the luggage allowances are much smaller (typically 15 kg).  In most of the cases you cannot send luggage through to your final domestic destination and have to pick it up in Suvarnabhumi and check it on in your domestic carrier.  Instead of paying the hefty overweight charge, you can opt to send some of the luggage with ThaiPost.  A ThaiPost office is conveniently located at the end of row 24 at the Suvarnabhumi departures hall, and it is quit cheap to have your overweight luggage packed and sent to your final domestic destination (approx 300 THB for 15 kg including the packaging box).  And typically the package will be delivered  the day after or max 3 days after you sent it.  So if you have 1/2 hour between arriving and check-in for your connecting flight, that's an option to consider.

Since I live almost 100 km from the domestic airport (Ubon Ratchathani) doing so, not only saves me money but I do not have to carry the luggage I did sent with ThaiPost as it is delivered at my door.

23 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Etihad gives only 23kgs in Economy, unless you pay more for a upgraded ticket. As do Gulf Air.

They are all downgrading their cheapest fares.

A mate always came with Etihad, 30 kg on the cheapest fare.

Now they downgraded to 15 kg.

For many it's just a hidden fare rise.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:32 PM, Peter Denis said:

(approx 300 THB for 15 kg including the packaging box)

That sounds competitive compared to the excess baggage fees of the domestic low cost carriers.

I don't fly the patterns you do but recognize it as a good alternative. 

Trying to avoid paying overweight charges from the USA to Thailand once, I got a quote to send via US Mail.  Oh boy, that was a shocker!  I think we were on Korean Air that trip, it was more reasonable to pay them for an extra bag/weight.   

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

They are all downgrading their cheapest fares.

A mate always came with Etihad, 30 kg on the cheapest fare.

Now they downgraded to 15 kg.

For many it's just a hidden fare rise.

That sounds competitive compared to the excess baggage fees of the domestic low cost carriers.

They haven't downgraded to 15 kgs, but 23 kgs on the cheapest fare.

Perhaps you are thinking of Oman Air, but they are still 30 kgs, but allow you to take it as two pieces of 15kgs each if necessary.

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

They haven't downgraded to 15 kgs, but 23 kgs on the cheapest fare.

They cut down 5 kg.

Just checked the booking system and it shows 25 kg to/from Germany (only 5 kg less).

Currently can't find one of the "special fares" with only 15 kg.

My mate flew from Hamburg to Bangkok return for a couple of years with 30 kg in the cheapest category. Last year he was cut down to 20 kg.

That was one of the (many) reports:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyjet/2019/02/01/emirates-airlines-reduces-baggage-allowance-for-economy-ticket-fliers/

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

They cut down 5 kg.

Just checked the booking system and it shows 25 kg to/from Germany (only 5 kg less).

Currently can't find one of the "special fares" with only 15 kg.

My mate flew from Hamburg to Bangkok return for a couple of years with 30 kg in the cheapest category. Last year he was cut down to 20 kg.

That was one of the (many) reports:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnnyjet/2019/02/01/emirates-airlines-reduces-baggage-allowance-for-economy-ticket-fliers/

You mixed up Etihad with Emirates.

But yes, times are a' changing.

14 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

Why not just pay the small additional amount to increase the luggage allowance with the budget domestic carrier at the time of booking ?

Two (possible) reasons:

1. Because it is still at least half cheaper to have it send by ThaiPost instead of increasing your luggage allowance at the time of booking.  And of course much cheaper than paying the overweight luggage at time of checking-in.

2. If you plan to do some sightseeing in the area of your domestic airport, it might be interesting to have the overweight luggage sent directly to your final destination so that you do not have to carry it around all the time.

>> Obviously my TIP is only worth the effort, if you are talking +10 kg of overweight (or if you did come in with 2 bags and are only allowed 1 bag on your domestic carrier).

On 2/27/2019 at 4:14 PM, 55Jay said:

I don't fly the patterns you do but recognize it as a good alternative. 

Trying to avoid paying overweight charges from the USA to Thailand once, I got a quote to send via US Mail.  Oh boy, that was a shocker!  I think we were on Korean Air that trip, it was more reasonable to pay them for an extra bag/weight.   

It might be ok if it goes by boat but  will probably take a month to get there,if you send anything by air or express intercontinental it's going to make your eyes water.

A number of times I have arrived in Bangkok with several pieces of luggage (gifts for my wife and her family) before flying home to Chiang Rai.  I usually spend a few nights in Bangkok to spend some time with old friends and colleagues of mine.  I box up the extra things and send them by Kerry Express.  They pick up right from my hotel room and get the packages to Chiang Rai the next day.

Archived