Immigration/expat Meeting

luther

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The organized expat community would be doing us all a favor if they started lobbying for an end to the 90 day reports.

If that worthwhile effort was successful, those who led it would go down in the history of Thai-Farang relations along with Thai PM Anand Panyarachun, who in the early 1990s abolished the requirement to obtain a Tax Clearance Certificate before leaving Thailand.

It applied to any foreigner who had been in the country for more than 90 days.  You had to submit to an interview by a junior government official and answer questions about income and expenditure in order to get it.

Without this Tax Clearance, you didn't leave the kingdom - as I learned the hard way at DM trying to go home after my first trip here.

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

90 day isn't much of a hassle because we can spend 5 minutes doing online.

The pain in the ass is to update our TM30 everything we go out and in of the country.

All of these requirements become routine after you've jumped through the hoops a few times. 

It's understandable that a host government would want to know where long-term foreigners are staying. 

I just don't see the need for an update every 90 days. A report of your address every time you apply for a visa or extension would be enough, and is enough for most other countries in the world.

12 hours ago, JingerBen said:

All of these requirements become routine after you've jumped through the hoops a few times. 

It's understandable that a host government would want to know where long-term foreigners are staying. 

I just don't see the need for an update every 90 days. A report of your address every time you apply for a visa or extension would be enough, and is enough for most other countries in the world.

Or everytime there is a permanent move of address but most people are lazy to inform if there are no laws.

18 hours ago, EricTh said:

90 day isn't much of a hassle because we can spend 5 minutes doing online.

The pain in the ass is to update our TM30 everything we go out and in of the country.

Never done it once in 10 years ! TM30 that is.

17 hours ago, JingerBen said:

I think the simple answer to why is "because we said so".

The advantage of using a company to assist with the renewal was you didn't have to stand in line at zero in the morning, and were guaranteed to get it done on a specific day.  That's really all you were paying for. The paperwork although bothersome, is pretty straight forward. Now, my understanding is that even with a company like Assist you have to queue up.  I was hoping for some clarification on this.  Several friends have predicted the visa companies will be going out of business if the new system sticks.

Rhys Bonney, a partner with Assist Thai Visa gave a concise and accurate picture of the current picture for retirement and marriage visa extensions at CM Immigration during the CM Expats club meeting this previous Saturday morning.  He reviewed the rules in an understandable fashion and speculated about the future in a way that seemed realistic and not too alarming.  It was well received by the audience of about 170 people.  You should have been there.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Rhys Bonney, a partner with Assist Thai Visa gave a concise and accurate picture of the current picture for retirement and marriage visa extensions at CM Immigration during the CM Expats club meeting this previous Saturday morning.  He reviewed the rules in an understandable fashion and speculated about the future in a way that seemed realistic and not too alarming.  It was well received by the audience of about 170 people.  You should have been there.

Mind telling us the main points of the meeting? Did he predict any exodus?

It's still unknown how Immigration is going to confirm that those using money in a Thai bank such as 800,000 baht for a retirement visa are going to prove that the money remains in the bank for three months after the annual extension and doesn't drop below 400,000 baht for the balance of the year.  And, as Mr. Bonney point out, there is a new chief of CM Immigration coming soon and a national election, so don't expect any definite rulings soon.

He didn't comment on whether there will be an "exodus", but did mention other ways to remain in Thailand legally, such as returning to your home country to apply for a non-immigrant O-A visa if you don't want to bring a large sum into Thailand, or a multi-entry tourist visa if you're here for just part of the year, education visa, volunteer visa.  Expat-expat couples can have one as a dependent, etc, etc.  Personally, I've seen too many people panicking needlessly rather than looking at all their options.

I have used Assit Thai Visa since they came into being.

Very good service.

Today I had to listen to one frang, tell how he spent all of yesterday down in Immigration doing his 90 day and new 12 month visa. Wanted to be in before the new system kicked off today.

Me I'd rather pay Rhys to have his excellent team do the heavy lifting for me, I do 20-30 mins down immigration for my 12 month visa.

A few thousand baht, nothing compared with the B400K I will be required to keep in the bank all year, mainly because some frangs found a way to CHEAT the system and now we all have to pay.

john

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

Me I'd rather pay Rhys to have his excellent team do the heavy lifting for me, I do 20-30 mins down immigration for my 12 month visa.

A few thousand baht, nothing compared with the B400K I will be required to keep in the bank all year,

So what visa &/or extension are you now on and how are you funding it?

3 hours ago, lipflipper said:

has Thai Immigration come up with firm written in stone rules, inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, the Police Orders regarding the requirements have been posted here repeatedly for enquiring and non-enquiring minds who care to read them.  And, yes, until they are revised they are "written in stone".

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, the Police Orders regarding the requirements have been posted here repeatedly for enquiring and non-enquiring minds who care to read them.  And, yes, until they are revised they are "written in stone".

Well, yes, but they haven't explained how they're going to enforce keeping money in a Thai bank for three months after the extension and not letting it dip below half the required amount for the rest of the year.  

And to answer another question, there was nothing about "having to queue up" even when using a visa agent.  I did my annual retirement extension about three weeks ago, going in the early afternoon and was seen right away, without using an agent.  

8 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Well, yes, but they haven't explained how they're going to enforce keeping money in a Thai bank for three months after the extension and not letting it dip below half the required amount for the rest of the year.  

I'm thinking backdated overstay from the date you dipped below at your next extension, followed by arrest, deportation and a ban on returning appropriate to your length of overstay.

I am on a retirement visa and have been since I turned 55 and qualified under the rules as set down by the Immigration Police who enforce Thai Government policy.

I fund by the system which until yesterday allowed me to place B800K in an account and then once my new visa was granted, I could do whatever I wanted with my money until 3 months before my due date when I needed to top up to B800K.

Several years ago I remember Rhys saying that the new requirement to have photo taken at immigration came about for some folk could not be bothered to go down immigration and where finding/paying, friends to carry out the visit for them.

Immigration found out and reacted, all must now be photographed at immigration.

I mentioned in a different post that an acquaintance who runs a CM business has suggested that from what he knows of his customers lifestyles, approximately one third will not be able to meet the New Laws, people who in UK we call Chancers.

I personally know 3 men, old mates, if still alive, from long back, who will not be able to meet the new laws. They chose to live on the ragged edge, very cheaply, on farms with wife, kids and her family, they bringing in cash, a short supply item in the sticks, from overseas. Some may remember the days when a B500 note would stop a village shop dead in it's tracks.

I have enjoyed my time in Thailand. I like Thai people who are kind, generous and very understanding of old Frangs and our ways.

I learned long ago if you want respect then show respect to Thai people especial those in positions of authority however low they may be in their system.

If folk do not want to obey local laws then please go home to where ever you come from and you can quite happily fight city hall there, don't queer the pitch for those who chose to play the game.

john

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's still unknown how Immigration is going to confirm that those using money in a Thai bank such as 800,000 baht for a retirement visa are going to prove that the money remains in the bank for three months after the annual extension and doesn't drop below 400,000 baht for the balance of the year.  And, as Mr. Bonney point out, there is a new chief of CM Immigration coming soon and a national election, so don't expect any definite rulings soon.

He didn't comment on whether there will be an "exodus", but did mention other ways to remain in Thailand legally, such as returning to your home country to apply for a non-immigrant O-A visa if you don't want to bring a large sum into Thailand, or a multi-entry tourist visa if you're here for just part of the year, education visa, volunteer visa.  Expat-expat couples can have one as a dependent, etc, etc.  Personally, I've seen too many people panicking needlessly rather than looking at all their options.

term deposit.

wbr

roobaa01

Archived