Immigration/expat Meeting

luther

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's still unknown how Immigration is going to confirm that those using money in a Thai bank such as 800,000 baht for a retirement visa are going to prove that the money remains in the bank for three months after the annual extension and doesn't drop below 400,000 baht for the balance of the year.  And, as Mr. Bonney point out, there is a new chief of CM Immigration coming soon and a national election, so don't expect any definite rulings soon.

He didn't comment on whether there will be an "exodus", but did mention other ways to remain in Thailand legally, such as returning to your home country to apply for a non-immigrant O-A visa if you don't want to bring a large sum into Thailand, or a multi-entry tourist visa if you're here for just part of the year, education visa, volunteer visa.  Expat-expat couples can have one as a dependent, etc, etc.  Personally, I've seen too many people panicking needlessly rather than looking at all their options.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's still unknown how Immigration is going to confirm that those using money in a Thai bank such as 800,000 baht for a retirement visa are going to prove that the money remains in the bank for three months after the annual extension and doesn't drop below 400,000 baht for the balance of the year.  And, as Mr. Bonney point out, there is a new chief of CM Immigration coming soon and a national election, so don't expect any definite rulings soon.

He didn't comment on whether there will be an "exodus", but did mention other ways to remain in Thailand legally, such as returning to your home country to apply for a non-immigrant O-A visa if you don't want to bring a large sum into Thailand, or a multi-entry tourist visa if you're here for just part of the year, education visa, volunteer visa.  Expat-expat couples can have one as a dependent, etc, etc.  Personally, I've seen too many people panicking needlessly rather than looking at all their options.

Weren't you planning on going to Malaysia?  How did that work out?  Is it a viable option?

i havent heard much uproar about leaving the 400,000 in a thai bank so i assume everyone is happy to have a thai bank hold 9000 + UK pounds of your money doing nothing. then, well i for one think this is appalling

27 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i havent heard much uproar about leaving the 400,000 in a thai bank so i assume everyone is happy to have a thai bank hold 9000 + UK pounds of your money doing nothing. then, well i for one think this is appalling

You obviously have not been reading the multitude of threads and topics on numerous TV Forums!

Why suddenly make this comment on a purely CM Forum/topic?

I'm thinking backdated overstay from the date you dipped below at your next extension, followed by arrest, deportation and a ban on returning appropriate to your length of overstay.
I'm thinking, you'll have leave when your extension expires, but that's my thinking.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I guess I should consider myself lucky as I have the luxury of two options for staying here long term. I can still use the 65K per month into my Bangkok Bank unless they tell me that balance must be maintained everyday or they ask for some ridiculous proof of funds into that account. The other which is looking better and better is simply to do as I used to do and get myself a Non-immigrant O single entry 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in Portland Oregon and then just pay Assist Thai Visa to help me accquire a multiple re entry once in the country. I go back twice a year to S.F. So the 90 day reporting is a no issue.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Weren't you planning on going to Malaysia?  How did that work out?  Is it a viable option?

We decided against going to Malaysia after learning about the Thai-U.S. Tax Treaty and how private pension income is handled.  There is no similar treaty between the U.S. and Malaysia.  This topic has been extensively covered on this forum in other threads, so let's not derail this thread with discussion of the tax treaty and retirement income.

As far as Malaysia being a viable alternative to Thailand, yes it is.  We applied for the 10-year Malaysia My Second Home visa and were treated with respect and fairness by Sabah state immigration.  No picky nonsense like where are documents not listed on the form, why did you sign in black ink instead of blue, etc.  However, the financial requirements are more extreme than those of Thailand and we found the local banks unwilling to open new accounts for Americans.  Once they found out we have accounts in Thailand, it was OK -- we could route deposits through Thailand!

So, in summary, if you don't have enough money to meet the new enforcement requirements of Thai immigration, you don't have enough money for the Malaysia ten year retirement visa.

Seems the rules on the O-A have changed since Rhys briefing.

New rules require B800K or B65K/month

"

Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay Visa

For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)
Qualifications of an applicant
      1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
      2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .
      3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.
      4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
      5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)
      1. Four visa application forms |Download|
      2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
      3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application.  Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.
      4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download
      *5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
               - or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
               - or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 "

john

23 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Seems the rules on the O-A have changed since Rhys briefing.

New rules require B800K or B65K/month

"

Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement/Long-Stay Visa

For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)
Qualifications of an applicant
      1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)
      2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .
      3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.
      4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.
      5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)
(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***)
      1. Four visa application forms |Download|
      2. Four passport-type photos (Passport-type photo, 2” x 2”, color, front-view, taken within 6 months, and write your name and last name on the back of each photo).
      3. Four copies of the applicant's passport (the picture page) - include the actual passport when submitting the application.  Passport must be valid for at least 18 more months.
      4. Four copies of Personal Data Form. |Download
      *5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)
               - or an income certificate with a monthly salary of not less than 65,000 Baht
               - or a combination of a deposit account plus a monthly income totaling not less than 800,000 "

john

You wrote, " Required documents (*** One original set and 3 sets of copies. Requested documentation 5–7 must be notarized.***) "

I don't see a #6 or 7 and what does notarized mean?   Where did you get the rules?

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Just for the record.

This morning I quoted Rhys comment on not requiring B400/800K by returning home and obtaining a O-A visa. One guy looked up O-A and told me I was taking ^***((^^%*%.

So I looked up O-A and got the above result.

May I assume that the rules changed on 1st March ?

I know when I was on a 12 monthly O-A before I went over to retirement visa I never had to show B800K, but that was many years ago.

john

34 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Just for the record.

This morning I quoted Rhys comment on not requiring B400/800K by returning home and obtaining a O-A visa. One guy looked up O-A and told me I was taking ^***((^^%*%.

So I looked up O-A and got the above result.

May I assume that the rules changed on 1st March ?

I know when I was on a 12 monthly O-A before I went over to retirement visa I never had to show B800K, but that was many years ago.

john

So what has changed?  You go home and show money in a Thai or American bank?  For notarization what does that mean as Thailand does not use notaries?  

22 hours ago, NancyL said:

Well, yes, but they haven't explained how they're going to enforce keeping money in a Thai bank for three months after the extension and not letting it dip below half the required amount for the rest of the year.  

And to answer another question, there was nothing about "having to queue up" even when using a visa agent.  I did my annual retirement extension about three weeks ago, going in the early afternoon and was seen right away, without using an agent.  

My comment was solely related to the publication of the new regs so I don't understand why you seem to want to answer questions that neither I, nor the poster I was responding to asked.

On 2/27/2019 at 2:25 PM, luther said:

Yeah that's it, sorry for saying immigration was there.  It was Assist Thai Visa presenting.

Perhaps to distribute their new fees info, in the wake of Immigration's new requirement of keeping the 800,000 and then 400,000 on deposit for longer than a day?

In the U.S., the Thai Embassy has required the equivalent of 800,000 baht in a bank (doesn't have to be a Thai bank) or 65,000 baht of income per month (doesn't have to be deposited into a Thai bank) in order to obtain a non-imm O-A retirement visa ever since Hubby and I first investigated back in 2006. 

I think the point that Rhys was making was that the money doesn't have to come into Thailand if you return to your home country and apply for an O-A retirement visa.  All the money can remain in your home country.

This is a god-send for those who don't want to bring money into Thailand for whatever reason but have it in their home country.  

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

In the U.S., the Thai Embassy has required the equivalent of 800,000 baht in a bank (doesn't have to be a Thai bank) or 65,000 baht of income per month (doesn't have to be deposited into a Thai bank) in order to obtain a non-imm O-A retirement visa ever since Hubby and I first investigated back in 2006. 

I think the point that Rhys was making was that the money doesn't have to come into Thailand if you return to your home country and apply for an O-A retirement visa.  All the money can remain in your home country.

This is a god-send for those who don't want to bring money into Thailand for whatever reason but have it in their home country.  

My question would be can you use a Thai medical and criminal report and have the money in a Thai bank and still get an O-A visa in America?

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My question would be can you use a Thai medical and criminal report and have the money in a Thai bank and still get an O-A visa in America?

I've never asked the Embassy or consulates that question exactly... But here's what the Los Angeles Consulate website says re their O-A requirements:

*5. Four copies of: 
               - applicant's bank statement (U.S.) showing a balance in the amount of not less than 800,000 Baht (current Thai exchange rate is available from the Bank of Thailand web site)

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence.  The verification must not be more than three months old.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Not being funny, but that is a "curved ball" question. Perhaps a direct enquiry addressed to your local US based Thai Embassy would be best to get a definitive answer? 

I got a Non-Imm O-A in 2015. My options for income was to show 800K in my US bank by a letter signed by the bank or show income of more than 65K per month. I used the 65K income and in my case I had letters written to me when I first received the pensions and the LA Consulate honored them.

I paid my family doctor $53 to sign the medical form. Total cost for Non-Imm O-A in 2015 for me was $381

9 hours ago, NancyL said:

While not requiring money in a Thai bank to obtain the Non Immigrant OA Visa, you WILL need to have the funds in a Thai bank in order to apply and receive annual extensions of stay.......

1 hour ago, jeffandgop said:

While not requiring money in a Thai bank to obtain the Non Immigrant OA Visa, you WILL need to have the funds in a Thai bank in order to apply and receive annual extensions of stay.......

That's two years after you get the visa. Go home once every 2 years.

7 hours ago, Pesky said:

Not being funny, but that is a "curved ball" question. Perhaps a direct enquiry addressed to your local US based Thai Embassy would be best to get a definitive answer? 

From the websites I'd say LA no and WA DC yes.  Do you think they answer emails and would the information be worth anything?  I'd think expat experience would be a better indicator.  A fellow from the UK said that's the way he did in in England which is what gave me the idea. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

From the websites I'd say LA no and WA DC yes.  Do you think they answer emails and would the information be worth anything?  I'd think expat experience would be a better indicator.  A fellow from the UK said that's the way he did in in England which is what gave me the idea. 

Sorry, I have no idea if they answer emails - I'm from the UK myself. 

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

The Thai Embassy and 3 official consulates in the U.S. have a jurisdictional system, whereby supposedly each of them have certain geographic areas (states) that they handle applications from. So supposedly, Americans should apply to the particular Embassy or consulate location that handles their home state. And yes, the document requirements do vary from location to location among them.

On 3/2/2019 at 8:03 PM, NancyL said:

But you do need the money in the  bank (after you arrive in Thailand) for the extension because they need to see the 800 k for 5 months and 400 k for 7 months.

Foreign bank statements can be forged as Thai immigration cannot verify the authenticity of the statements. That's why they say Thai  banks only.

It was more lenient back in your time. That's why some people took advantage of the loopholes which immigration is trying to close one by one.

But you do need the money in the  bank (after you arrive in Thailand) for the extension because they need to see the 800 k for 5 months and 400 k for 7 months.

Foreign bank statements can be forged as Thai immigration cannot verify the authenticity of the statements. That's why they say Thai  banks only.

It was more lenient back in your time. That's why some people took advantage of the loopholes which immigration is trying to close one by one.

I think Nancy was referring to the O-A visa , the financial requirements can be kept in your home country, your O-A is good for 2 years and can be repeated therefore no money required to be “ held at ransom “ in a Thai bank.

Obviously requires a return visit to your home country but a good option for some, like myself, who do return occasionally and prefer to keep funds accessible.

Archived