Do Satit (University Demonstration) Schools Need T. L.

Dakling

I work at a Satit school and to date we have never needed waivers or teaching licences to work here. It has been explained to me that the reason for this is because we work for the University and that they are listed as our employer. It does seem odd though. Also last time I went to immigration they were a bit grumpy about the lack of waiver or T.L. but they did accept the work permit and gave me the visa extension. I remember some old threads about this from a few years ago but was hoping someone might have updated information about whether this is ok or a violation or some sort of a grey area open for interpretation by the labour office and immigration police. Cheers!

I believe if you are in a K12 classroom regardless of employer, you need a license.

If the university listed your employment as something outside the classroom, then imo you would not need a license. They may be doing this.

Immigration most likely unhappy bc they know the law is being skirted. Especially since you did not know the above and when asked if you are a school teacher you nodded like a happy puppy.

Honestly, the only Satit I'd think could get away with this prank is Chula but whatever.

International schools require, vocational schools require. If your employer is an agency... Your school is not special in this regard.

It is not the kind of employer that dictates if you need a teaching license but the kind of classes you teach. Teaching kindergarten, elementary school and secondary school normally requires a teaching license, university classes not.

The only job title that does not need a teaching license is a teaching assistant. But there are restrictions on that, such as the ratio between teachers and support personnel.

3 hours ago, Preacher said:

It is not the kind of employer that dictates if you need a teaching license but the kind of classes you teach. Teaching kindergarten, elementary school and secondary school normally requires a teaching license, university classes not.

The only job title that does not need a teaching license is a teaching assistant. But there are restrictions on that, such as the ratio between teachers and support personnel.

It certainly is the kind of employer. If the school is not governed by OBEC then a teaching licence or waiver is not required.

Universities that house a Satit demonstration school are not under OBEC, hence there is no need for a licence or waiver as the demonstration school is operated by the university.

A Satit school is partly under OBEC; some rules they have to follow. In other areas they have more latitude as they are not a government school. 

If a teaching license is required is dictated by article 43 of the Teachers Act. http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0450.pdf

Sub 6 gives the exemption for universities. It doesn't mention the institution itself, it talks about teaching at higher education level.

Now, you could argue that Satit schools fall under the exemption of article 43, sub 5 (if you can regard it as a private organisation). But my labour office and immigration office will not be impressed by that argument.

2 minutes ago, Preacher said:

A Satit school is partly under OBEC; some rules they have to follow. In other areas they have more latitude as they are not a government school. 

If a teaching license is required is dictated by article 43 of the Teachers Act. http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0450.pdf

Sub 6 gives the exemption for universities. It doesn't mention the institution itself, it talks about teaching at higher education level.

Now, you could argue that Satit schools fall under the exemption of article 43, sub 5 (if you can regard it as a private organisation). But my labour office and immigration office will not be impressed by that argument.

Sad for those teachers teaching in your area. I have first hand knowledge that Satit schools teachers are exempt from needing a teachers' licence.

I could see why if true was put into place. I presume that the original intent was to shuffle loads of Thai student teachers thru an educational environment. But I seriously doubt what these schools have become, largely money spinners with not only permanent teaching staff, but foreign teachers.

I can make sense of it that way. Also some schools have broken free of obec for instance Mahidol Wittayasorn and there are always rumblings Triam Udom Suksa wants to do the same.

Funny thing though many Demonstration schools are often thought of as a cut above, few really are. Many burn thru foreign teachers like crazy. Not just the perpetual annual churn and burn but semi constant. University *above* Bangkok for instance.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:05 PM, ozmeldo said:

I believe if you are in a K12 classroom regardless of employer, you need a license.

If the university listed your employment as something outside the classroom, then imo you would not need a license. They may be doing this.

Immigration most likely unhappy bc they know the law is being skirted. Especially since you did not know the above and when asked if you are a school teacher you nodded like a happy puppy.

Honestly, the only Satit I'd think could get away with this prank is Chula but whatever.

International schools require, vocational schools require. If your employer is an agency... Your school is not special in this regard.

A further point - lecturers at unis (Thai or foreign, don't need a teaching licence, maybe that why K-12 teachers are being shown as employed by the university.

My local demonstration school is pretty good. Certainly at English. Many students start reading and writing English at kindergarten level and have a broad vocabulary.

They do burn through a lot of English teachers. But that is more because of the teachers themselves. They want to stay in the big cities, not somewhere in the boondocks. So often they leave before end of contract, off to places as Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I heard that 1 even left on day two of her contract. 

There is no age limit. The age limit is for government teachers. They retire at 60, but it is nog uncommon that the keep on teaching as contract teachers as they are no longer civil servants. It does mean a big pay cut.

16 hours ago, scorecard said:

A further point - lecturers at unis (Thai or foreign, don't need a teaching licence, maybe that why K-12 teachers are being shown as employed by the university.

Agreed. Although it has been stated, and I accept the rationale behind Demonstration schools not needing licenses. I wonder if the foreign teachers have been purposely misclassified and the immigration officer knows this, hence his or her displeasure.

5 hours ago, Preacher said:

My local demonstration school is pretty good. Certainly at English. Many students start reading and writing English at kindergarten level and have a broad vocabulary.

They do burn through a lot of English teachers. But that is more because of the teachers themselves. They want to stay in the big cities, not somewhere in the boondocks. So often they leave before end of contract, off to places as Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I heard that 1 even left on day two of her contract. 

There is no age limit. The age limit is for government teachers. They retire at 60, but it is nog uncommon that the keep on teaching as contract teachers as they are no longer civil servants. It does mean a big pay cut.

There are no age limitations on foreign teachers in public schools. I would never accept a pay cut.

Chaing Mai, lol. About half dozen decent schools there. Perhaps half that pay almost reasonably well.

Archived