Bangrak is getting a mosque as residents are concerned

racket

It has been highlighted that a Mosque is under construction in the sub-district of Bophut which to my information has worried some residents and resorts that they will be shouting allahu akbar in the open area causing concern for residences overseeing Big Bhudda and hotels nearby that could negatively have an impact on tourists visiting and staying in the area of Bangrak. To my understanding some people have gone far and even petitioned to halt construction or at least providing some sort of restrictions that no allahu akbar shouting will occur - although so far no idea how far they have come. 

Does anyone have more information on this?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, ethaniel said:

I live in the area.

As long as they don't start blasting their "invitation to prayer" at 4am in the morning, we're good.

Otherwise, I'll just pay for a "tonight... tonight... samui international boxing statdium" truck to park outside of the mosque 24/7.

I'll contribute, perhaps a gofundme fund needs to be set up?

1 hour ago, ethaniel said:

I live in the area.

As long as they don't start blasting their "invitation to prayer" at 4am in the morning, we're good.

Otherwise, I'll just pay for a "tonight... tonight... samui international boxing statdium" truck to park outside of the mosque 24/7.

It's very likely you'll have the pre dawn wailings to wake you each morning.  I live near a mosque and hear it every morning and evening.

11 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Thought there was a mosque already in Bangrak, there's one in HuaThannon also, nobody has ever cared. 

Quite right PoorSucker. There was one there for years. They are just building a newer, bigger one. Many years ago we regularly heard the call to prayers. I have not heard them for some time but now that the Mangrove has gone I am rarely there at prayer time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, SamuiGeezer said:

Don't think so, let's see some photos. More recently I've seen houses described as Mosques, annoying if you've bought and then you find your neighbour blasting out prayers on loudspeakers.

It does not have to be a purpose built building.

Quote from Wiki

' A mosque is a place of worship for Muslims. Any act of worship that follows the Islamic rules of prayer can be said to create a mosque, whether or not it takes place in a special building. '

• 2 weeks later...

Was in that neighborhood recently and heard the amplified sound from there.  This was midday and I had just driven by the site and seen some men arriving there (across the street from the arch pictured above at a small temporary structure). I was about 200m away and I would say it was loud enough you would have to raise your voice somewhat to talk to someone in the same room as yourself. Would get me thinking about moving if I lived nearby.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

I see NIMBYism racism and islamophobia are pretty rife on Samui.

Lots of "I've got nothing against them but" posters.

Plus with no influence whatsoever. let them take it up with the Amphur / Ministry of Culture. No doubt will be rather shocked Thai government pays half the cost for new mosques.

On 2/27/2019 at 1:36 AM, NCC1701A said:

the cancer is spreading everywhere. fools here supporting it.

The cancer is more likely the immoral and distinctly un religious foreign tourists on Samui , sex, drugs and materialism rather than the pious muslims who have lived there for centuries .

On 2/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, Puchaiyank said:

allahu akbar...God is Great...is a harmless Muslim phrase...it is when they shout jihad...that you need to be concerned... 

I think you need to look up the various meanings of Jihad......... but hey, you are calling 5 to 10 % of the Thai population "they". 

On 4/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, wilcopops said:

Lots of "I've got nothing against them but" posters.

As long as they don't disturb other people's lives there is no problem. When they want to impose their will on other people's lives it is a problem. We don't need obnoxiously loud prayers 3 times a day where we live in our quiet isolation on a paradise island do we? 

More muslims will emigrate to these areas after Mosque and then they'll make another mosque somewhere which will start another muslim community nearby and so on and so forth. Islam is the only religion uses a noisy call to prayer 5 times a day (morning adhan starts very very early and awakens people living nearby) every day.

If you want to experience adhan firsthand stay a few days in muslim dominated krabi and you'll understand it fully!

15 minutes ago, muratremix said:

More muslims will emigrate to these areas after Mosque and then they'll make another mosque somewhere which will start another muslim community nearby and so on and so forth. Islam is the only religion uses a noisy call to prayer 5 times a day (morning adhan starts very very early and awakens people living nearby) every day.

If you want to experience adhan firsthand stay a few days in muslim dominated krabi and you'll understand it fully!

Unlike Christians and their bells, Muay Thai boxing and their crawling tannoy trucks or politicians, karaoke, clubs and drunks thumping out music till 2 am.gangs of young bikies...face it, Thailand is noisy......get over it....

57 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

Unlike Christians and their bells, Muay Thai boxing and their crawling tannoy trucks or politicians, karaoke, clubs and drunks thumping out music till 2 am.gangs of young bikies...face it, Thailand is noisy......get over it....

Christian bells pop up once every week and they don't have the numbers. Number of mosques per capita is a lot more than number of churches with bells!

You can not compare early morning noise which repeats every day to other noise pollutants which are not methodical.

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Thai temples uses bells 3AM to wake up the monks. 

No any Thai temple ever wake me up from my sleep because Temples are not located in residential or dense residential areas. Mosques are usually located in dense residential areas so more muslims can attend to prayers 5 times a day and hear the sermon from Imam.

Archived