Chiang Mai: Two kindergarten kids crushed to death as school bus reverses over them

webfact

Really can’t comment on the driving skills.....sounds like bus stalled....why would the kids jump off...

as to the comment it doesnt happen in the west...public school buses have one primary door to enter/exit as well as seat belts....

yes this particular scenario would not have happened in the west b/c the kids would have been contained in the bus if not in their seat and no chance to freely jump to their death...the bus driver controls the door mechanism....

this case has design and procedural flaws and won’t be properly  investigated by competent investigators so no lesson learned to prevent it from happening again...

Mai bpen rai...

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Pi$$ poor maintenance on the bus, combined with a pi$$ poor driving skills by the driver = death of 2 children.  They should not only charge the driver for negligence causing death, but also the owners of the bus as well, and hit them with the maximum punishment the law allows.  

I understand your sentiments, but the blame for this lies 100% on the school as they have a duty of care to ensure that any and all services offered either directly or indirectly by the school are fit and proper. 

If the school uses a clapped out heap of junk as a service then they are at fault as the responsible party for using (even by contract) said clapped out heap of junk. 

If you take school children on a bus and that bus has no seat belts (in the UK) and there is an accident and injuries - then it is not only the bus driver who is responsible but the school for allowing the children on the bus without seat-belts which are there to prevent injuries in the event of an accident. 

7 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Would never let my children travel on those death traps with mad drunken drivers. Just dreadful to read another of these stories.

Was the driver mad?

Was the driver drunk?

Maybe it was an accident?

It is I a very sad story, two little children are dead, and I can only expect the driver to be very sad also.

Very sad accident indeed. May Buddha care for you in Paradise.

Here in rural Isaan, the transportation of schoolchildren in such unsafe vehicles is very common. They are packed inside, sat on benches or small plastic chairs or just standing - not a seat belt anywhere. Many take to the roofs of old buses (like the bus in the photo) where there are guard rails to contain luggage - not passengers! Tree branches and cables are potential hazards. On one occasion I saw a large school bus totally packed inside  and with young students sat in the open side luggage compartments with their legs dangling over the road. The rear engine compartment cover was also open and 2 young boys sat each side of the moving engine with their legs also dangling over the road. I was gobsmacked - unfortunately I did not have a dash cam.  Health & Safety/Road Safety - NON EXISTENT!  

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

I have a 4 year old at school in Chiang Mai and stress just about every hour he is there until one of us picks him up so much so the Mrs has to get the teacher to send current photos of him and location ????

I think you and your beloved need to chill out, either that or have another child or buy a noisy dog? It reads like someone is rather unbalanced!

1 hour ago, TPI said:

I think you and your beloved need to chill out, either that or have another child or buy a noisy dog? It reads like someone is rather unbalanced!

What a bizarre reply on something you must have given little thought to and clearly no nothing about????

21 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Oh this is a tragedy..It tears my heart apart to think that two 6 year old children will never have the chance to enjoy their lives.

RotBenz is correct, the bus hardly looks to be roadworthy, (although that may be a file pic) but nevertheless these buses should be particularly well maintained as they are carrying very precious cargos every day.

I don't like to see young children clinging to the back of Songtels either, they are just accidents waiting to happen, it would not be allowed in the west.

RIP little ones????

What a tragic end to young lives!

School buses should be standardized nationwide - they should all be the same high visibility colour, they should all be enclosed and they should all be subjected to a mechanical inspection a minimum of once a year.  Drivers should be properly vetted and maintain a log book.  Random drug testing of the drivers should also be carried out!

Archived