Thailand loses its cheap living reputation

EricTh

oh dear sex pats all our yesterdays again when the girls did your washing before they left and you had change from 500 hundred baht for a night out. When they put your toothpaste on the brush and kloster beer was the one to drink. Bernard Trink, no BTS, mobile phones, internet or HIV. Lovely. ????

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

"Any reason why not? Did you use them at home?You wait longer in my home country public hospital than here."

Private hospital in UK, never seen one, only heard of them, means to say I worked for a living.

john

Obviously not hard enough if your checking out public hospitals in Thailand!

Often i go to the Suan Dok public hospital in CM, as outpatient.  Always take a number and wait in line till your turn.  I've never seen or experienced 'farang discrimination' at any medical service.

Medical service here much cheaper than USA due to low wages here, lower rent for shops etc, and a low ambition rate among the population. 

Lots of structural impediments to personal ambition here.  Just consider the hierarchy of society with one guy on top of all, then a second layer of a few dozen, next layer 100s, and finally to the bottom where the millions of masses reside, many in deep poverty.  Deep poverty yes,  but looking upwards and glorifying the one guy on top.  

Many of those wishing for thaksin to return.

On 3/2/2019 at 2:40 AM, bkk6060 said:

A false statement probably have never been there.

I live in Pat's 1000b is the common rate that is about 1/5 or less then most western countries.

Actually, I agree. BR and Bar-Talent can be had for the quoted amount by you. What do you get for this price?.
An overweight porker, having invested her income in Western-Food for the last 10 years.
- Want slim and trim (like it used to be)?. One has to head for "higher ground". Once on "higher ground", 1000 Bht will buy nothing. Not counting Bar-Fine.
Don't know about your preferrances. Obviousely we don't have the same.
Cheers.
PS: We shoulden't discuss Pattaya matters in the Chiang-May sub-forum. The mod's never sleep.????

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, Mark1066 said:

How is the money gone? Money on rent has gone, for good...money spent on buying a property is still there, in the value of the property.

What's the value of a condo in a building that has been invaded by Chinese short time stayers? Not much.

Renting's biggest risk is not getting the bond back.

I doubt anyone that bought a house that had an all night bar start up next to it would agree they did the right thing, and then there's the places next to a new rock crushing plant. Such happens in LOS.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, spidermike007 said:

A visit from a electrician and two hours work. 600 baht. In the US? $190. A visit from a plumber and an hours work. 400 baht. In the US, $150. Reupholstering my motorbike seat here, $13. In the US, $275.

But what are the odds of getting electrocuted or having a sewage disaster after the job is done? 

I'll concede the scooter seat, but how many ride scooters back home?...  And don't get me started about the price of cars or gasoline ($1.85 per gallon last week here in Texas-  That's about 15 baht per liter.  It did go up over $2.00 this week, but it was nice while it lasted- got as low as $1.70)

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

But what are the odds of getting electrocuted or having a sewage disaster after the job is done? 

Sure.  And when the mechanic fixes your car here it could blow up in your face in a big ball of fire on the highway leaving you a chard bag of bones.

I guess any scenario can be made a disaster in their minds, if one is paranoid and hates this place.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

I'll concede the scooter seat, but how many ride scooters back home?...  And don't get me started about the price of cars or gasoline ($1.85 per gallon last week here in Texas-  That's about 15 baht per liter.  It did go up over $2.00 this week, but it was nice while it lasted- got as low as $1.70)

No question the safety standards are infinitely higher in the US. On all levels. And the quality standards are higher, and the average worker takes far more pride in his or her craftsmanship, than here in the LOS. But, we were not really talking about that. Unclogging my toilet, is not something that makes me lose sleep at night, in terms of safety. And $10 sure beats $75, for 15 minutes work. 

16 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

oh dear sex pats all our yesterdays again when the girls did your washing before they left and you had change from 500 hundred baht for a night out. When they put your toothpaste on the brush and kloster beer was the one to drink. Bernard Trink, no BTS, mobile phones, internet or HIV. Lovely. ????

I don't remember any doing my washing, but they were slim and attractive and didn't think they were special. Don't remember Kloster beer, but no mobile phones was brilliant. I waste far too much time on the internet. Trink was a must read, and we didn't know how good we had it before AIDS.

I probably did have change from 500 baht after a night out as not a big drinker. When the exchange rate was 70+ to the pound, but inflation hadn't started, that was the time to be in LOS.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

What's the value of a condo in a building that has been invaded by Chinese short time stayers? Not much.

Renting's biggest risk is not getting the bond back.

I doubt anyone that bought a house that had an all night bar start up next to it would agree they did the right thing, and then there's the places next to a new rock crushing plant. Such happens in LOS.

I wasn't really talking about condos and if you choose your area carefully, the chances of these examples occurring are extremely small. There's a risk in any type of investment but living in someone else's property is just not for me. I don't want to pay to redecorate someone else's house and I don't want to have to ask permission to change things if i feel like it.

Every country, city is cheap if you live like the locals. On the flipside, all of them are expensive if you live like an expat.
Thailand is still very cheap, it simply pushes foreigners in a certain direction, so they spend more.

Archived