Thailand loses its cheap living reputation

EricTh

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There was a mom and pop store 50m from the house, 7-11 was about 300m further.

In a desirable area? You dodged that one .. The question isn't whether you can get 5k rent and probably even 3k a 100 miles from CM center.

Fact is anything in the center in a nice area is going to be a complete DUMP!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, madmen said:

In a desirable area? You dodged that one

You seem to think a desirable area is in a big city near a BTS.

That isn't my idea of a desirable area, I like peace and quiet near mountains and rice fields, where all the local middle class Thais live. I've never lived more than 12Km from CM centre.

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A few minutes? Come on, you disappoint me. I thought you were this fabulous stud, retired from years of servicing bored wives of the rich and famous for USD 10,000 a pop.

hahahahahahah....Yeah, right,  a stud mouse, still not retired from years of 6 second sessions of pelvic epilepsy behind  dumpsters with assorted floozies, fishwives, harridans, strumpets, trollops, tarts, slatterns, bawds, midgets, minxes, jennies and bimbos, many of who were toothless, warted, drunk, drugged, pimpled, crazy, greedy or oozing from the wrong places.

Please dont confuse me with someone who has a modicum of class and decent behavior. I can take a lot of abuse, but that is striking below the belt.....

1 hour ago, madmen said:

In a desirable area? You dodged that one .. The question isn't whether you can get 5k rent and probably even 3k a 100 miles from CM center.

Fact is anything in the center in a nice area is going to be a complete DUMP!

Dude IIRC, you think Lower Suk is a desireable area. There  has to be a local wine shop too, ja? And a Villa to get Toffee and such like.

11 hours ago, madmen said:

Seriously? the 4k room will be a moldy dump ! what do you expect for 133 baht per night? 

There is cheap and then there is totally slumming it. Not a nice way to see out your golden years

So wrong, in Patong loads of neat similar 5k,1 km to beach

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

hahahahahahah....Yeah, right,  a stud mouse, still not retired from years of 6 second sessions of pelvic epilepsy behind  dumpsters with assorted floozies, fishwives, harridans, strumpets, trollops, tarts, slatterns, bawds, midgets, minxes, jennies and bimbos, many of who were toothless, warted, drunk, drugged, pimpled, crazy, greedy or oozing from the wrong places.

Please dont confuse me with someone who has a modicum of class and decent behavior. I can take a lot of abuse, but that is striking below the belt.....

I'm sorry, there's no icon for pissing myself laughing. Midgets? Really? Although I suppose I can't talk with a GF less than half my body mass.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, ThaiPauly said:

I am surprised to see Bali well below Chiang Mai, I found it to be quite expensive compared to CM.

But every week there seems to be a new poll about something (cheapest place to retire etc) all with differing results.

All I know is , yes it has become more expensive to live here in the 15 years I have lived here, but hey inflation is a real word and applies everywhere.

I am still happy with prices of goods and services in CM, though finding handymen, builders, painters, carpenters etc has become more challenging, they just don't seem to be around anymore.

When i was looking to stay in Bali about 5 years ago

I could get a A/C Condo New for just over 3000 Baht

Here it would be much more

Plus the food was cheap too

As i used to go regular for about 2 to 2 weeks at a time  1 to 2 times per year

I did not do all the calculations to live there permantly

I decided on Chiang Mai

I do not have any regrets

But Bali would only 4 1/2 Hour flight back to Australia

On 2/27/2019 at 11:38 AM, kannot said:

depends  what your personal situation is, owning your own condo saves 15-20k  on rent  per  month for "most"  people.........

Haha. I know you are serious but have to laugh at some of the financial justifications about buying.

Sure, it saves on rent but gee you do realize that 3 million b is already gone.... ????

Makes sense to some I guess but truly is very poor financial management in my opinion....

14 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

When i was looking to stay in Bali about 5 years ago

I could get a A/C Condo New for just over 3000 Baht

Here it would be much more

Plus the food was cheap too

As i used to go regular for about 2 to 2 weeks at a time  1 to 2 times per year

I did not do all the calculations to live there permantly

I decided on Chiang Mai

I do not have any regrets

But Bali would only 4 1/2 Hour flight back to Australia

wonder why you still here if Bali was so much  cheap

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You seem to think a desirable area is in a big city near a BTS.

That isn't my idea of a desirable area, I like peace and quiet near mountains and rice fields, where all the local middle class Thais live. I've never lived more than 12Km from CM centre.

Living around rice fields surrounded by mountains says it all. I think you paid to much ????

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Haha. I know you are serious but have to laugh at some of the financial justifications about buying.

Sure, it saves on rent but gee you do realize that 3 million b is already gone.... ????

Makes sense to some I guess but truly is very poor financial management in my opinion....

How is the money gone? Money on rent has gone, for good...money spent on buying a property is still there, in the value of the property.

29 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

How is the money gone? Money on rent has gone, for good...money spent on buying a property is still there, in the value of the property.

Cos you'd need to live there for 20 years to break even on the rent/purchase.

And most of us don't have 20 years left, almost nobody will have 20 years left in Thailand the way things are going.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Cos you'd need to live there for 20 years to break even on the rent/purchase.

And most of us don't have 20 years left, almost nobody will have 20 years left in Thailand the way things are going.

I've got a daughter so that doesn't really apply to me (i.e. I'd rather leave her the house than throw the money away on rent, so it makes good financial sense to me). And even if I didn't, you're assuming the house would be impossible to sell in the event we all wanted to leave in 5 years' time

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

I've got a daughter so that doesn't really apply to me (i.e. I'd rather leave her the house than throw the money away on rent, so it makes good financial sense to me). And even if I didn't, you're assuming the house would be impossible to sell in the event we all wanted to leave in 5 years' time

So it's still down to buying a Thai woman a house.

I wish someone would buy me a house?

4 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

So, you are telling this forum you buy a property here and it will hold or increase its value? Dream on. Houses here built to Thai standards are mostly wrecks at the 15 year mark - leaking pipes, fubar electrics, rising damp. Try selling a property here for what you paid for it. Wait several years before you give up.

Renters here have  it all over landlords. We are free to move anywhere we want, whereas they have to pray they can attract another tenant to their ever-depreciating and unmarketable "asset".

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

So, you are telling this forum you buy a property here and it will hold or increase its value? Dream on. Houses here built to Thai standards are mostly wrecks at the 15 year mark - leaking pipes, fubar electrics, rising damp. Try selling a property here for what you paid for it. Wait several years before you give up.

Renters here have  it all over landlords. We are free to move anywhere we want, whereas they have to pray they can attract another tenant to their ever-depreciating and unmarketable "asset".

My wife bought the house and I pay her rent.  As long as she keeps me alive she has an income producing property.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist. 

PS After 10 years the house is fine.  I do maintain it. 

more expensive and black lung.  and more traffic, and more people to avoid on the sidewalk....  but i share a room with 8 other backpackers, and sometimes they bring home a girl....and sometimes they don't pay the extra 200 baht.  really annoying, but last month i only spent 2,944 baht.  i got 3,000 from my business, plus 1,000 from gofundme and i'm really thinking about expanding my business.  i'm only 72, so soon i will be really hi-so in BKK.  if only i didn't go to that karaoke place years ago i would be rich, i tell ya.  CM...i remember back in 1954 where you could get a bowl of soup for 3 baht.  

5 minutes ago, Benroon said:

No-one needs to pay bar fines anymore - make your selection online. This explains the steep decline in quality of the bargirls over the last 10-15 years. The worldies have gone online where they don't get to be pawed over by grossly overweight peasants in Chang vests and the uglier ones HAVE to go into the bars as they can't compete with the worldies on the internet and need to find the grossly overweight peasants in Chang vests! Its natural selection.

You can also see the competition in the multi guest windows.  There are all the fat Thai guys in the Chang vests.  You have to feel sorry for the poor women not much choice. 

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I wish someone would buy me a house?

I only have purchased houses and stuff like that for women who hate me. Women who pretend to like me can get paid by the hour, in 6 minute increments hopefully.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I prefer to pay bar fines, no silliness with police about 'consent' the next day.

If you are even remotely, remotely in a position where you have to consider consent.....well, dude, you might need some professional help.  what situations are you in where consent could even be questioned?  don't answer....i don't want to know

9 minutes ago, puukao said:

If you are even remotely, remotely in a position where you have to consider consent.....well, dude, you might need some professional help.  what situations are you in where consent could even be questioned?  don't answer....i don't want to know

That Spanish guy had a problem with consent the next day.

57 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My wife bought the house and I pay her rent.  As long as she keeps me alive she has an income producing property.  Doesn't take a rocket scientist. 

PS After 10 years the house is fine.  I do maintain it. 

Houses are like leaks - they don't get better. I have the guernsey and jockstrap to say you will find the maintenance gets a tad more annoying with every passing year.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:16 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. For 15,000 a month I lived in a wonderful new hotel with AC, Wi Fi, hot water, cable tv. That's pretty cheap by any standards.

Good Thai food meals available for under 50 baht, or 100 for western food in a restaurant.

The only thing that really got expensive and no cheap alternative is women. I don't know why anyone bar fines them for the prices they are asking any more, and even the bar fines are outrageous.

Of course if one wants to live in a flash condo and eat imported western food, it's going to cost biggly.

Prices have gone up like everywhere else.

The only segment of the economy where prices have gone up dramatically is the "Ladies-service-segment".
While the general price level may have increased 100% over 20 years, the "ladies-service-segment" has tripled (or quintupled in certain tourist hot spots in Pattaya). Approaching European price levels quickly.

Honestly, I was never much into Temples, Beaches, Heat & Humidity and Air Pollution. The "Ladies-Factor" was/is central to me. (= Confessions of a Sex-Tourist. Buy my book and don't wait for the movie to come out!)
But as price level is approaching European levels, the less reason I have to sit in an Airplane for 12 hours. So my visits to Thailand become less and less frequent.
Chinese quality tourists will take my place. All is well!

33 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Houses are like leaks - they don't get better. I have the guernsey and jockstrap to say you will find the maintenance gets a tad more annoying with every passing year.

I have a months water supply and a filtration system.  I have a months supply cooking gas. Chest freezer for bulk purchasing.  Part time maintenance man and gardener and maid.   If I need a light bulb changed I call someone.  Big advantage of Thailand is cheap labor.  I'm old and don't want to fall off a ladder or electrocute myself.  I like sitting in leather furniture and having a comfortable and clean bed.  Why is living in Thailand cheap?  CHEAP LABOR.  I figured prices were as cheap as they were going to get about 10 years ago so I brought over my money and locked in housing prices by finding a wife who could get a bank loan.  

Archived