Thailand loses its cheap living reputation

EricTh

On 3/1/2019 at 5:18 AM, Lacessit said:

A few minutes? Come on, you disappoint me. I thought you were this fabulous stud, retired from years of servicing bored wives of the rich and famous for USD 10,000 a pop.

you are confusing him for me.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/2/2019 at 2:40 AM, bkk6060 said:

A false statement probably have never been there.

I live in Pat's 1000b is the common rate that is about 1/5 or less then most western countries.

Maybe for some "Beach Road Talent". 1000 will buy nothing at one of the "top-noch" Go Go's at Walking Street.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Have you ever thought 'not doing so well' is the norm?

Everybody on the planet will at some point not be doing so well. If I wake up, Im doing well. If not....

10 hours ago, swissie said:

Maybe for some "Beach Road Talent". 1000 will buy nothing at one of the "top-noch" Go Go's at Walking Street.

Well no, BR is 500 to 700.

Massage shops, Soi 6, Dating sites, etc. 1000!  Like I suggested, you probably have never been here or don't know what to do.

WS is a tourist trap for fools not a "going rate"

venue...

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Have you ever thought 'not doing so well' is the norm?

sometimes i do think that  ????  .   even the rich and famous are mostly screwed up.   

given that's how it is......... i repeat what i have posted before:   I try to avoid the negative BS that is all around.   I am not one that brags on here about how many beautiful women love me or how much money i have  etc etc.    I even think of avoiding TV when someone takes a shot at me......, but then what would i do on those hot afternoons

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You could do a Craigs list room share if you're liberal and might get your costs down. 

you recently disclosed your age ( though i don't exactly remember the # ).   I am of similar age but do not know what Craigs list even is though i have heard it mentioned.   guess time to google and broaden my knowledge for today. 

OK, got it !  And very appropriate name for the CEO 

Revenue: 694 million USD (2016)
CEO: Jim Buckmaster (Nov 2000–)

56 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I've lived in CM  since 2001.

CM is cheap, no way could I afford my lifestyle in UK.

john

It really is about where you came from I guess

to appreciate this place.  Renting a similar house in the Los Angeles area would literally be 10 times what it is here.  Plus the utilities, internet, add-ons all much more.

Food costs there have really gone up especially over the past few years.  Was back a few months ago a simple bowl of soup $10.  Had a burger, fries and a beer at just an average place and it was almost $25 with tip. A Friday night movie was $15.  

And playing the girl game there has become a joke. Many sites shut down prices way up. Now the cops are installing cameras inside the shops ( Robert Kraft fiasco) to catch customers?

No thanks do not need my freedom compromised for that I really like the easy availability here.

On the other side wages are high.  So after 30 years in a good job there bringing the funds and comparing prices here just seems so very inexpensive.

Anyway, everyone has had a different life so some of us ( especially me) need to understand this place may be expensive for some.

And the Cambodia and Vietnam proposals seriously those places are not that much less but the overall quality of life is.

45 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

And the Cambodia and Vietnam proposals seriously those places are not that much less but the overall quality of life is.

How is the overall quality of life in Cambodia and Vietnam ? Can you give some examples and compare with Thailand?

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Siam Reap was great.

HCMC was great.

Not any cheaper than CM, but at least there were no VISA problems.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

How is the overall quality of life in Cambodia and Vietnam ? Can you give some examples and compare with Thailand?

See my previous post, living costs and quality of life almost the same.

Beer a lot cheaper 50c/pint.

Examples, in Siam Reap you could get a sit down curry at a proper Indian Restaurant for $4-$5, along with your 50c beers. Breakfast Menu from a fairly upmarket hotel/restaurant (Sky Bar/Hotel). Pot of tea $1 (3-4 cups) everywhere. Drinks menu from a popular bar ...........

My hotel $10/night with double room and swimming pool ($12 if you wanted aircon). $1 pot of tea by the pool.

breakfast.jpg

drinks.jpg

hotel pool.jpg

From You Tube I gather Hospitals are packed out to capacity in Vietnam by locals. Medical care in Vietnam has a poor reputation.

We had a Frang try Cambodia 2 years back, he lasted one month and still speaks bad on the country.

There is no way I could consider a move due to the Price of Visas. My concern, as one who has had his 3 score and 10, is the threat of Medical Insurance.

I can understand why the Government requires it, but any high cost would "Kill' Thailand for me and most of my age group.

The proposed paper suggested B40K for out patient and B400K for in patient, at that limit an escrow account purely for medical, would be practical but if a high end cover is required than Bye Bye.

john

29 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

From You Tube I gather Hospitals are packed out to capacity in Vietnam by locals. Medical care in Vietnam has a poor reputation.

We had a Frang try Cambodia 2 years back, he lasted one month and still speaks bad on the country.

If you go to the public hospital in Chiang Mai, it  is also packed with locals. I had to wait 4 hours just to see the doctor and they don't follow the first come first serve rule.

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If you go to the public hospital in Chiang Mai, it  is also packed with locals. I had to wait 4 hours just to see the doctor and they don't follow the first come first serve rule.

Triage ,same everywhere. Can’t believe CM Public hospital had locals there, surely you can visit a Dr,

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

"...they don't follow the first come first serve rule."

How is it decided then who gets in next to see the doctor?

On 2/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, geriatrickid said:
On 2/27/2019 at 11:24 AM, khwaibah said:

Ah yes bring back the 200 baht bar fine.????

Someone just aged himself.......????

0 Baht BKK 1973 and 40 Baht BKK 1977

signed:

old fart

49 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"...they don't follow the first come first serve rule."

How is it decided then who gets in next to see the doctor?

If they see you are a foreigner, your file is put aside in one corner if there are Thai people who are deemed more 'urgent' than you. It's quite arbitrary.

I didn't notice at first, until I saw many Thai people who came much later were called before  me. That happened on several trips and not one occasion.

Discriminatory practice do exist in Thailand. Foreigners don't have much choice but to go to more expensive private hospitals if they don't want to wait.

On 3/3/2019 at 8:35 AM, BritManToo said:

Delusional, unless you're partner is a guy, AWALT.

I trust my wife completely. On the other hand, I have yet to meet a Western man in Thailand that I would trust to any degree. I think it’s your statement that’s delusional.

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

and B150 Soi Cowboy 1979.

not quite such an old fart

mind you that was take away and bring back when full

Grace Hotel disco and Nana Hotel disco / coffee shop 0 Baht 1977

5 hours ago, EricTh said:

If they see you are a foreigner, your file is put aside in one corner if there are Thai people who are deemed more 'urgent' than you. It's quite arbitrary.

I didn't notice at first, until I saw many Thai people who came much later were called before  me. That happened on several trips and not one occasion.

Discriminatory practice do exist in Thailand. Foreigners don't have much choice but to go to more expensive private hospitals if they don't want to wait.

Triage is about more  urgent cases first, what makes you think otherwise? Thai or non Thai ! Any complaints re your treatment tho?Guess not as you went back...

"Grace Hotel disco and Nana Hotel disco / coffee shop 0 Baht 1977"

If only you'd said the original Thermea, had the best value for money massage parlor in BKK, above what was to become known as the Star Wars Bar, one of every species in the galaxy, got took in there my first night in town.

john

Archived