Deported DMK on Re-Entry Permit

On my return recently from a pre-Chinese New Year weekend in Penang, I was questioned by passport control and referred to an immigration officer for further questioning. I was issued a re-entry permit at DMK airport on the Friday, and held on the Sunday night in the same airport. The reason? 4 tourist stamps and suspicion of working, and not looking like a "normal" tourist.

The questions began at passport control, by a relaxed young male employee, who asked me twice, "What do you do in Thailand?". I wasn't asked for evidence of onward travel or how much money I had.

The female officer tried unsuccessfully to intimidate me into looking nervous or guilty about something she had no evidence of. She said she would not accept my TM6 and was going to send me back to Malaysia, where I could apply for a retirement visa. She made mention also to me wanting to settle down with a Thai lady. I can't recall her exact words, but she was making broad assumptions, in a less than professional manner. Since her accusations weren't going anywhere with me, she interspersed these with little purring sounds, to confirm her ideas to herself, and an attempt again to make me uncomfortable. I already knew I was in for it, and repeated that I merely did not think I was doing anything wrong, and yes, I was living in Thailand for a period and therefore was not a "normal tourist".

I was charged 800 THB to spend the night in the DMK holding centre (below), and had to buy a flight back to my beloved Penang at 11:00am the next morning. On arrival I went straight to Jim's who said I should not have used DMK with the stamps I had.

I crossed without a single question at Padang Besar the next morning, plus got to see a bit more of the Chinese New Year celebrations!

So a number of warnings here for readers. I'll resist from using an expletive, but don't be intimidated. As Jim said, there are many retarded on this side of the border, and in uniform.

20190203_201815.jpg

• Like 1

OP, sorry you had that bad experience. To me you could have gone into bit more history of your time in los. ie "I was living in Thailand for a period". Four visa stamps means 4 setv?. 

Guess my point is more complete details of time time spent outside Thailand between visits, extensions, etc. That's the only way to have a feel for if io was being unreasonable.

The usual folk will be along to state there is no limit to setv,s. Fact is bkk airports do refuse entry to some people.

The OP has admitted in another thread working as a teacher in Samut Prakan.  So where is his work permit ? 

Immigration did their job this time. Unfortunately he is able to continue as a teacher without the necessary documents. 

20 minutes ago, balo said:

The OP has admitted in another thread working as a teacher in Samut Prakan.  So where is his work permit ? 

Immigration did their job this time. Unfortunately he is able to continue as a teacher without the necessary documents. 

Thankyou , I now have my answer to post #4. 

Strange system in Thailand. You get refused entry at bkk airports then just enter at a border. 

• Like 1

Not for want of trying. As you well know. And for that very reason it's far from black and white. But not in terms of Thai law admittedly. My mistake was maybe to risk the re-entry, until the paperwork was legit.

Dr.Jack54: a printout of my travel record was indeed used against me. I spent a week outside of the country in September, a 5-day trip to Cambodia in October, and the normal short trips of about 3 to 4 days on all other extensions.

The purpose of the post is to flag up my experience for others to benefit from.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arthur Mullard said:

Not for want of trying. As you well know. And for that very reason it's far from black and white. But not in terms of Thai law admittedly. My mistake was maybe to risk the re-entry, until the paperwork was legit.

Dr.Jack54: a printout of my travel record was indeed used against me. I spent a week outside of the country in September, a 5-day trip to Cambodia in October, and the normal short trips of about 3 to 4 days on all other extensions.

That's what I was thinking. Many folk post on Thaivisa about "how long can I stay in Los using setv, visa exempt etc. I don't get it. I see few reasons. Thai gf, working (illegally). Personally if I didn't have Thai partner and was under 50. I would be few months los. Month in say Vietnam.... Etc. Wash and repeat. Personally I think airport io correctly believed you were/are working in Thailand.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arthur Mullard said:

Yes, I have learned from you: dont work illegally in Thailand and if you are abusing tourist visas, they wont let you in the country.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Yes, I have learned from you: dont work illegally in Thailand and if you are abusing tourist visas, they wont let you in the country.

Agree with not working illegally (though that rules out getting a teaching gig started, in most instances I have read).  The only "abuse" would be the illegal working, however, not some measure of time.  If they had evidence of his working, they did the right thing.  If not, they were in the wrong, even if he was also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Arthur Mullard said:

I crossed without a single question at Padang Besar the next morning

I am glad the refused-entry at DMK had no weight at all with Pedang Besar.  Good to know they see what the bad entry points are doing as having no value.

That said, not sure what the issue is with your paperwork for teaching.  God knows they need good native-English teachers here - sad to see the reports of non-native speakers taking those jobs, since those from England, UK, USA are being driven away - but get it sorted ASAP or you could be dealing with worse than a denied-entry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1