Germany Embassy Bangkok - Schengen Visa Advice

Hi there,

Just wanted some clarification or even experiences from anyone that has applied for a Schengen visa via the German Embassy in Bangkok. I'm a Thai national and would like to apply for a Schengen visa, but currently have a few questions regarding the procedure. 

I've emailed the German Embassy and they were of no help whatsoever. The person just didn't even read my email nor answered my questions and just responded saying, sorry you need some Thai friends that can help you navigate the site. I even enquired if there was Thai staff that I could email and have my questions translated, but they just copy-pasted the same response. I guess this is their solution to enforce VFS/GLS services on to applicants.. anyway I'd save you the trouble of ranting about how frustrated I am with their responses. 

I've read from Donutz Schengen Visa FAQ already and understand I'm not obligated to use either VFS/TLS. So, to keep it short I'd be grateful if someone could help me with a few questions that need clarification for obtaining a tourist visa:

1. Currently self-employed: have 6 figures of funds in the Thai stock market, what type of documentation needed for this criteria, perhaps a portfolio statement of my current investment holdings?
  2. Accommodation: is booking.com/air bnb, a sufficient source to provide as proof of accommodation? 

I've read quite a number of topics regarding the necessary documents, but it seems as though the Foreign Embassies in Thailand are very arbitrary in terms of what's required. I might be tempted to just add the Netherlands to my itinerary, apply there, and save myself the hassle from counterproductive and incompetent faculty. 

Short details:

• Thai national, age 25, male (can't read/write Thai, grew up abroad)
  • Visiting Europe for 2-3 weeks, countries include: Netherlands (possibly), Germany, Czech Republic & Hungary.
  • Spending most days in Germany (hence applying via German Embassy)
  • First-time applying for a Schengen Visa
  • Self-employed via investment holdings in the SET (Stock Exchange of Thailand).

Thanks in advance, and apologies if this has already been answered.

1. I would show evidence of bank deposits (income) over the last few months. Plus evidence of your income being from the stock market. Last 3-6 months.

Not being employed or owning a business may be hold against you though as there are less reasons t to return (no geographic spot that you are tied to via a job). So throw in evidence that show ties with muang Thai to make evident that you won't be a risk of overstay in Germany.

2. Should be fine, some notorious old fashioned embassies may not like it , (Spain, France) but the Germans I think are okay with it. TH The Dutch are..but for a visa via the Dutch you would have to make the Netherlands your main purpose of the journey. The Germans are not much worse from what I can tell. So I would  tell you to stick to Germany.

Thanks, Donutz!

Bank statements shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully getting a hotel via booking.com should be fine, if I reserve  with cancellation policies (in case visa gets rejected).

Re: about the reasons of overstaying, I'd plan to include a personal statement of my current ties in Thailand regarding owning investments here (attached along with my portfolio) and currently living with my parents; wouldn't make sense to become an illegal immigrant with my entire savings still tied in Thailand.

Worst case scenario, if the Germans do reject it; I'd appeal or try via the Dutch Embassy.. might as well spend Amsterdam Pride there! 

Make sure you have:

1) Hotel bookings covering the entire trip through the Schengen Area

2) Travel insurance covering the whole trip

3) Confirmed flight tickets to/from Schengen - if you will travelling via bus/train within Schengen, 

it is easy to book these online and if possible, you should include them with your application

4) 6-months Bank Statement

5) Be honest during the interview (if you have one)

The only red flags are that you are young and "self-employed"

This means you don't have a steady income, a job to return to and your earnings come from dabbling in the stock market.

This could be done from anywhere - so this could present a risk from the point-of-view of the consulate.

Worst case scenario, if the Germans do reject it; I'd appeal or try via the Dutch Embassy.. might as well spend Amsterdam Pride there! 

I could not think of a more stupid idea.
The Schengen Information System (SIS) database is shared between all Schengen countries.

If you are rejected by one Schengen member, all other members will have access to this information.

What you are suggesting is called "visa-shopping" and if you do this,

you risk being banned from applying for Schengen visas in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Varun.

I have everything covered from the list you've provided already; I can see why my situation can arise suspicion from the consulate's POV. 

Somehow I managed to get a checklist for the docs required for a Schengen Visa from the German Consulate and one of their requirements do not require a flight ticket during the application process (?), which is odd since that's a crucial prerequisite when enquiring for a visa (PDF via attachment). Regardless, I think they failed to mention (or meant) to provide a flight itinerary- which in any case I will just have it ready. 

Re: the 'visa-shopping' thanks for the heads up, might have to reconsider my options in case of rejection. 

Merkblatt Tourismus Englisch Neu (2).pdf

Archived