Frenchwoman deported for vaping

snoop1130

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AjarnRichard said:

I have lived here in Thailand for 9 years, and I have never heard that vaping is illegal.  I don't use a vape or even smoke, but now I am glad I don't!  I wonder if tourist receive any notice on entry that vaping is illegal?

You can buy them on AliExpress for $20, inc postage to Thailand.

They maybe stop 1 in 100 coming through the post.

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I agree with what you say about vaporizers.

A court fine of 827 baht is therefore perfectly acceptable.

However, this story is much more about an attempt of 40.000 baht extortion.

And about the revenge for not getting that 40.000 / exposing the scam.

Bang on Old Hippy!

The story is about her refusing the 40,000 "shakedown" and the consequences which followed.

A major part of the drama which our ardent Thai supporters posting here appear to want to gloss over.

If she is telling the truth then the Dragnet boys were engaging in an illegal (if not unusual) activity..

21 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

So why is she not thanking the Thai Police for trying to save her a court visit and the subsequent much higher associated costs she is now complaining about!!

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's true Bill, I thought about a trip to Phuket about ten years ago, then read about the behaviour of the taxi and tuk tuk guys, among other things, I decided against it, mentioned it on here and was blasted for it.

When I worked here in 1994 to 97 my patch was from 40 km south of Korat up to nong Khai and everything to the east including all of Issan, in 2001 I covered a lot of BKK and east towards Trat.

After travelling about 2,000 km a week I sort of lost interest in going anywhere but BKK.

I have lived here in Thailand for 9 years, and I have never heard that vaping is illegal.  I don't use a vape or even smoke, but now I am glad I don't!  I wonder if tourist receive any notice on entry that vaping is illegal?

Warnings shown on customs video on TG arriving flights. Airlines are advising customers upon check in. It is well known. There is a difference between vaping, and the heated tobacco marketed by the big players like IQUOS, that could be taxed easily. Why not?

53 minutes ago, I am More Thai Than You said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

She was stopped and searched and an attempted extortion of 40,000 baht was made. 

Ultimately she was fined 8xx by the courts and deported. 

I'm not sure what the reason for deporting her was. Perhaps the legal case took a sufficient length of time to outlast her visa. 

Either way....  Are you on the right topic? Ethnocentric views ????? where did that come from?

What part of what was written are you struggling to comprehend? How about we simplify this for the simpletons....

Now I have you, ponder this. Perhaps she carried on like a right upstart and things quickly escalated? Sometimes you need to read between the lines. Hard I guess when you take as gospel all you read here on TV.

erm.... What part of what was written am I struggling to comprehend?... then you suggest I read between the lines so as not to take for gospel what I read???

You need to make up your mind....

So... Should I take as Gospel that she behaved like a right upstart? Well, I suspect she was quite upset and showed this...  How would you behave if stopped by a Policeman, searched and told you need to pay a 40,000 baht fine ($1270) for something you had no idea what illegal and perfectly legal in the majority of countries???

I accept that she kicked up a stink and didn't handle things the 'Thai way'... but really, what should she have done when faced with an attempt to extort?  (not the fine in court was 827 baht - so its hardly comparable to 40,000 baht). 

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Sorry, that's your interpretation. For me it's about a fine for breaking law. But I agree with you that this is a very particular case. In Westerners eyes the hefty fine looks strange though we don't know about the conversation between police and culprit

14 minutes ago, 473geo said:
37 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

So why is she not thanking the Thai Police for trying to save her a court visit and the subsequent much higher associated costs she is now complaining about!!

Come on... We know what this was about... oldhippy has pretty much nailed it.. 

A failed extortion attempt and then the face saving and punishment, putting her through the courts, wasting everyones times for what amounts to a crime the court considered was worth just US$26

The BiB screwed her over out of spite. 

Strange as in january i saw people in bk airport even vaping right in front of airport.

i was amazed, as i knew it was forbidden. Thought wow they have guts.

Also how did they get it? You cant take it into the plane, it has liquid in it. You take it out when going to fly?

Must be.

BUt then when you are going back from Thailand, the customs dont know about the shape of electronic cigarette? You can not put it in your luggage (there is a battery ) put it in handbagage separated ? The liquids should be in luggage, cant bring it in handbagage.

You are screened, you do have an e cigarette then and can be fined, though !? you are in Thailand and it is forbidden. 

6 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Weil, it's always better to inform yourself about the law when travelling to foreign countries, 3rd world countries in particular. 

E-cigarettes are forbidden in Thailand .

So don't complain. She should have known better. 

And so is prostitution illegal, as is driving a motorbike without a proper licence, renting or hiring a jetski without correct insurance or how about operating a meter taxi with the meter turned off.

With all of these illegal items the officials look the other way because there is money to be made, with someone bringing in a vape cigarette from another country where it is bought legally, then face a massive fine and deportation is ok because of the 40K to be made and deporting the person is fine because there will be another unsuspecting tourist arriving shortly after. 

Sawadee1947 is failing to see that the endless greed and disregard for tourist welfare will ultimately bite this beautiful country in the bum, Phuket has always had the belief that rules are there for bending in the pursuit of profit and foreigners are will come regardless. This mentality still exists even after the Phoenix Boat accident and the dramatic drop in tourist arrivals as a direct result, I only hope that this changes soon enough before people start choosing to holiday elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Trexpat said:

And so is prostitution illegal, as is driving a motorbike without a proper licence, renting or hiring a jetski without correct insurance or how about operating a meter taxi with the meter turned off.

With all of these illegal items the officials look the other way because there is money to be made, with someone bringing in a vape cigarette from another country where it is bought legally, then face a massive fine and deportation is ok because of the 40K to be made and deporting the person is fine because there will be another unsuspecting tourist arriving shortly after. 

Sawadee1947 is failing to see that the endless greed and disregard for tourist welfare will ultimately bite this beautiful country in the bum, Phuket has always had the belief that rules are there for bending in the pursuit of profit and foreigners are will come regardless. This mentality still exists even after the Phoenix Boat accident and the dramatic drop in tourist arrivals as a direct result, I only hope that this changes soon enough before people start choosing to holiday elsewhere.

Somehow biased. I presume you will follow rules in your home country???? 

But here in Thailand you are not obliged to do so? 

Why? Why you would wear a helmet in London but not in BKK I. g??? 

And why you cry loud if you are fined then??? 

I wonder what you will answer and how to explain the discrepancy 

I still don't understand about braking what law you people are talking about! carrying and usage of vape ? there is no one as I know, moreover there is proposal to completely legalize it. Importing? hmm, vaping items and liquids are being sold by street vendors here in Bangkok on Sukhumvit street, and police controls this business for sure....

21 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Somehow biased. I presume you will follow rules in your home country???? 

But here in Thailand you are not obliged to do so? 

Why? Why you would wear a helmet in London but not in BKK I. g??? 

And why you cry loud if you are fined then??? 

I wonder what you will answer and how to explain the discrepancy 

I'm happy to pay the fine for any crime I choose to commit.

As long as it's the same fine as everyone else is asked to pay, and isn't just a gold necklace for a corrupt police officers mia noi.

Is that a satisfactory explanation for you?

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm happy to pay the fine for any crime I choose to commit.

As long as it's the same fine as everyone else is asked to pay, and isn't just a gold necklace for a corrupt police officers mia noi.

Is that a satisfactory explanation for you?

On occasion Thailand applies a fine 'based on perceived wealth' system, helps pay police wages, you don't want to play, don't 'choose to commit' a crime! Let other criminals pay the wages - you know it makes sense ????

3 minutes ago, 473geo said:

On occasion Thailand applies a fine 'based on perceived wealth' system, helps pay police wages, you don't want to play, don't 'choose to commit' a crime! Let other criminals pay the wages - you know it makes sense ????

On occasion the Thai police invent a crime based on what they think a foreigner is prepared to pay to avoid 'problems'.

It's all part of living in a corrupt society without rule of law. You don't want to pay, live in your home country.

I would like to know why she was deported.

An 800 Baht fine for importing the vaping machine, fair enough, it's illegal to import these devices.

So who has the authority to deport someone ?

Is it the judge? Would a judge hand down an 800 Baht fine and order deportation - I seriously doubt it.

Someone else mentioned that a high ranking police officer can recommend deportation after someone has been dealt with by the court.

I would like to know the name of the police officer who ordered that this woman be deported so it can be widely distributed to the media for interviews, etc.

21 hours ago, madmen said:

its not just Thailand but its banned in several countries including Singapore and Hong kong

https://travelwireasia.com/2018/07/did-you-know-vaping-is-illegal-in-these-asian-countries/

Its hilarious how breaking the law in Thailand will be yet another nail in the Tourist coffin 

You guys may wish for it or even pray for it on your knees before bedy byes but.. AINT gonna happen !

As Yule Brenner said on tv before dying of lung cancer " what ever you do DOOONT smoke"

You seriously think this had anything to do with breaking the law ....wow !

Though I suppose extortion and bribery is technically illegal though somehow I doubt that was your point.

7 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I would like to know why she was deported.

An 800 Baht fine for importing the vaping machine, fair enough, it's illegal to import these devices.

So who has the authority to deport someone ?

Is it the judge? Would a judge hand down an 800 Baht fine and order deportation - I seriously doubt it.

Someone else mentioned that a high ranking police officer can recommend deportation after someone has been dealt with by the court.

I would like to know the name of the police officer who ordered that this woman be deported so it can be widely distributed to the media for interviews, etc.

Final word is up to the judge . In this case as it reads after paying the fine she was taken to immigration where she thought she would be picking up her passport , as I have said a number of times , most likely her 30 days were up, so she was detained for overstay which is now a matter for immigration and then deported. 

4 days in detention is rather a short stay, people usually spend 2-3 weeks 

You seriously think this had anything to do with breaking the law ....wow !
Though I suppose extortion and bribery is technically illegal though somehow I doubt that was your point.
It's irrelevant what you think. Don't break the law and put yourself in the position of getting extorted.
Ain't rocket science

On 2/27/2019 at 7:12 PM, fruitman said:

So after all it was a very stupid move from the Police....even more because i see many Thai vaping as well and they don't care for the police...they probably know they can buy them off..

Not many month ago, there was big headlines about an famous Thai TV star, stopped at an checkpoint, and the police found vaping eq. in her car. SHE was jailed...

On 2/27/2019 at 7:19 PM, lamyai3 said:

This, just a few days after a five year old from Finland was mauled by a pack of dogs on a beach in Krabi. Probably overdue for some well deserved shaming in the world media on how badly things can go wrong on a family holiday here. 

Yes, vaping should absolutely be an important part of a "family hliday"... (or not...?)

9 minutes ago, pellets said:

Not many month ago, there was big headlines about an famous Thai TV star, stopped at an checkpoint, and the police found vaping eq. in her car. SHE was jailed...

i do not believe she was jailed, but was arrested and sent to court, Outcome of her court hearing i believe is unknown, but she did have a few things in the car and was possibly drunk as well as she started abusing and fighting with police

40,000 bt? For carrying an e-cigarette? I think they've excelled themselves even by Thai standards. Some guys always have to go OTT and ruin it for the rest who might be making a pretty penny out of exploiting foreigners' ignorance. Anyway, ain't anyone from France gonna be using e-cigarettes now, if they bother to come.

5 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Sorry, that's your interpretation. For me it's about a fine for breaking law. But I agree with you that this is a very particular case. In Westerners eyes the hefty fine looks strange though we don't know about the conversation between police and culprit

Again, the 827 baht was a fine and in compliance with Thai law.

The 40.000 was not a fine, but extortion, and not in compliance with Thai law.

The lawbreaking by the local mafia far exceeds the lawbreaking by that tourist.

Archived